You are here

Anyone familiar with child support laws in PA? or in general....

dledden's picture
Forums: 

My husbands kids bio momma is a drug addict. he has had the kid, alone, from age 2. he never took her for child support cuz she's a loser bottom feeder. I am fairly certain she gets INCOME of some sort from WELFARE.

My question is, can you file for, and get child support from a bio parent collecting welfare?

:?

StickAFork's picture

If she's on government aid, I think the most, if anything, you can get is $25 a month. That may vary by state.

IMO, it's not worth the effort.

stepmama2one's picture

Usually they dont care if she is not working. If your DH is awarded support then it should go off the minumum wage in your state. Meaning they will automatically calculate child support on her making the minimum. However the judge can choose to deviate from that rule and tell her to pay very little or nothing at all. Now if he did get child support, BM refuses to pay, and the kids ever went on medicaid or foodstamps then the state will automatically file a complaint going after BM for nonpayment. You can try but it may not be worth the time...Especially if you have to go to court and you dont know where the BM is located. If she cant be located then they wont be able to serve her a summons. She has to be served a summons first. If she is being prosecutted for nonpayment and doesnt show up to court then they may issue a warrant for her arrest. However it could take years for them to serve the warrant on her.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

You can get an order against her, but you would have no way to collect it. We dealt with this with my husband's ex for years. Once in a blue moon we will get tax refund intercept, but he has not actively pursued her CS-wise in more than 12 years. It is good leverage to use for court/legal purposes though...her not wanting to be arrested or pay has sent her on her way more than once.

Rags's picture

Google PA Child Support and see what pops up.

You will get quite a bit of info propably the most valuable and useful will be the PA CS calculator. You can run all kinds of scenerios to see what the outcome of a CS effort is likely to be.

Good luck.