You are here

Your parents and Skids??

daisy611's picture

Are your parents close with your sKids? I got held hostage this weekend in my FDH's mom's car (alone. she decided we needed bonding time. ahem) and she kept asking about my parents interaction with his kids. I wanted to say, "Bitch, my parents don't want to meet kids from another marriage with some other woman. They aren't as great as you have convinced yourself they are" Instead, I smiled and said no, my parents have not hung out with the kids and they won't be anytime soon.

PeanutandSons's picture

My mom conciders all the kids her grandkids. While I think she does love my BIOS more, she actually does more for the steps. I think she over compensates with them to try and prove she treats them all equal. I really irks me actually, as SS and SD both have another mother and set of grandparents to do for them and my kids only have my parents (dhs family doesn't aknowledge my kids). So while its great that SS and SD gained a loving grandmother, I can't help feel like they are taking her away from my kids.

Maroma1984's picture

Why can't he give you kids?

Don't give up on your family over a man. Especially since he's already got his family.

I love my daughter so much. I would never give up the chance of having kids!

Maroma1984's picture

Honey , I think you should go find a guy that gives you a family you deserve! Trust me, you will regret passing up on babies.

I love my daughter more than life itself. You don't want to miss out on what that feels like.

Poodle's picture

My mom really tried but, get this. There came a moment in BM's maintenance claims against DH years ago when I had to do a statement for Court about my own finances... I set out that amongst other things I had no inheritance prospects as my mom was on low income and living in such and such low income address etc etc. I didn't have to say this, I just did so in order to really show that I was not and never would be a money tree. Anyway guess what? OSD24, then a late teen, found my mom's number from some directory enquiry or other and phoned her but then put the phone down after a feeble excuse, just to check she was indeed living in that type of housing. In my view retrospectively, don't cultivate a relationship between your SKs and your extended family unless you really truly are blended and there are no rows with BM in the wings. Otherwise your SKs could ultimately pose a risk of abuse to your own family never mind you.

BSgoinon's picture

My parents interact with SS just as much as they do with my DD's. And more than they interact with my sisters kids. SS is a part of this family, if they can't treat him as such then they don't need to see any of us. It's never been a problem though, since SS is a pretty cool kid Wink in fact.... my dad has 6 grandsons (including SS) and has been giving SS (and not his "biological" grandsons) all of his "collectable" baseball items. Like autographed bats, and balls.

dledden's picture

my mom is way better with skid than I am. She'll actually hug him and stuff when she comes over. I don't put my hands anywhere near skid if I don't have to. Hell, I buy spray on sunscreen for the kids at the pool instead of the bottled lotion which lasts so much longer, SIMPLY BECAUSE THAT WOULD MEAN I'D HAVE TO RUB THIS KIDS SKIN...eewwwww......BUT.....

She has never said it out loud, but i'm pretty sure she doesn't like the skid either. she knows his whiny bullshit behaviors, as does everyone else except DAD. She will tell me about meltdowns and shit she has here watching all 3 kids. My kids are no prize to deal with sometimes either, but add the skid into the mix and it's pretty much too much for her.

AND, skid went to summer school this year, and my mom used to come over in the mornings while skid was gone to spend time with HER bio grandkids only! Days when skid goes to his bio grandparents house or whatever, she'll come take my kids to mcdonalds, etc. Of course, i don't tell fiancee this.

So, it's pretty clear to me, she favors mine far more......

Just me in a big pool of fish's picture

My parents do not see SS10 all that much but constantly buy him presents and know he is a lovely kid. He's no legally my SS as I'm not yet married to his father and am only 27. However, if my parents did not treat SS in this manner, I would be annoyed. He is part of my life now and hopefully will be my SS one day so I would expect my parents to treat him as such and the same as my own children I will have some day (although I'm sure there would always be favouritism with my bio kids due to it being their first grandchild and as SS10 is getting older now). That being said and done, I think my parents found it difficult at first meeting SS10 and felt I was too young to take on such responsibility. I think they still think this to a certain extent but as SO treats me so well, they will never admit this.

Maroma1984's picture

My parents are kid to SD11 , but just as they would be to any kid that came around. One year we did our birthday with her at their house and my dad bought her a present , but other than that , they don't do anything for her.

I prefer it that way, to be honest. She's not their granddaughter.

Maroma1984's picture

That's how I feel too. My SD already gets everything she wants ... so why give her more?

Her mother gave her a Wii once for cleaning her room. It disgusts me. I wonder if that was the same week we paid child support? LOL.

hippiegirl's picture

No....why would they be? Like you said, it's another kid that your husband had with someone other than you. Where does this woman get off??? Also, I think it's messed up that he had those damned kids with his ex then got fixed. So, in other words, you have to put up with his ex wife's kids, and never get to have your own?!