You are here

Your Opionion please SD13

hbell0428's picture

So... this weekend SD13 who is in 8th grade; and has recently moved in with us FT asks daddy to go to middle school dance. Dad then proceeds to call and find out that it is a High School dance; SD gives him the "I didn't know daddy" speech... Hook, Line, Sinker!! (give me a break!) He then allows her to go anyway and gives her a midnight curfew. By they way; he didn't ask my opinion and we had a babysitter for the other kids; until late... Am I overreacting? My BD is only 11 and hasn't tried any of this crap (YET!)

Ingrid's picture

All parents make mistakes with their kids. Let him make his.

If you try to get him to "Dad up", he's only gonna let you down.

Save yourself the let down and don't expect him to be a responsible Dad

hbell0428's picture

I agree; a lot of his choices with her have let me down and I know something is wrong when MIL agrees with me, asking me "Where is his head at!?!?!??"

The worst part is when I don't agree and he says yes - she almost smirks at me like Ha Ha!!

wriggsy's picture

My SD tried the same type thing. She confided in me that there was a (black) boy who wanted to ask her to the dance that was coming up (this was last year). I told her that I had no issue with it, but you know how dad feels about dating across races. (and please...no judgements on that...this is how he was raised and he can't seem to get over it..even tho he tries). Well...when DH joined us at the table (we had gone out to eat and he made a trip to the restroom), SD asks DH "If a boy asks me to the dance, would you let me go with him?" DH said yes he would, but he would have to meet the boy before she goes. I was incredulous! I called her out on it and said "Now, SD, I think you left a very important part of that story". She said "Oh...yeah...the boy is black" and DH immediately said "No". SD got all upset and started crying in the resturant, but I told her that leaving out something like that in order to get the answer you want is a form of lying. She got over it and the boy never even asked her out, so it was all for nothing anyway...

forever2's picture

I think you have to nip the lies in the bud before the little lies become big ones. I guess the little skid brats lie because they can, because the guilty dads let then get away with it and they know there is no punishment to follow. I don't personally think a 13 year old girl lying about going to a high school dance is a SMALL thing. Or, it won't be small when she ends up preganant or assaulted by her highschool boyfriend or some other guys in the crowd. What the idiot dad was thinking is not as important as who is protecting this girl from her own stupidity. A high school dance with a midnight curfew for a 13 year old girl? Good grief! Sounds like you are the only one who cares, and it sounds like no one will listen to you until disaster hits. Agree. Not good at all, and she is only 13. My skid 11 is a little liar too because he gets away with it. This weekend, I had to watch him afterschool until dad got home, and I knew dad told him to mow the lawn. I asked skid what his plan was for the afternoon. "Nothing" he replies. Then I said that I thought his dad was going to talk to him about mowing the lawn. "Nope," he lied! When I told his dad, dad seems almost amused. Seems dad thinks the little angel is mischevious when in fact there is a difference between being mischievious and a flat out liar. It starts small, that's my point, but when they get away with it, it fuels the fire.

hbell0428's picture

Amazing!! When I point things like that out about SD; I am told that I am overreacting; or I am asked "Why are you so worried about it?" It is crazy sometimes

Thanks for the comments!

steptwins's picture

Maux: 10pm? My skids are 14 & HAVE NO CURFEW. Don't even need to call home if staying out all night, not coming home after school, or for dinner. No bed time for school nights, DH says as long as they get up for school its fine. And they don't get up easily for school. There's yelling & threats every morning. Just found out on Satur. the skid w/broken arm doesn't have to wear seat belts b.c. Mommy & Daddy said so.(I was giving him a ride & he refused to buckle up so I ALMOST engaged with him).

mom2five's picture

No way would I let my 8th grader go to a high school dance. The schools here don't even allow it. And midnight??? Is he nuts??? My kids had an 11:30 curfew in high school until their senior year when we extended it until midnight. And even then, they had to tell us where they were going and with whom. And we checked!

When my daughter was a Freshman, she was asked to prom by a Senior. I told her no way was she going to the Senior prom as a freshman!

He's begging for trouble by allowing an eight grader than much freedom.

hbell0428's picture

i agree with you mom2five- but how do I make him SEE that?? Just wait till something happens (I told him so) if I bring it up he gets defensive and says - HE was aloud to do that kind of stuff and he doesn't see anything wrong with it!! AAAHHH My points are for 1 she's a girl (for some reason boys are always aloud to more??) and for two - DAD had her while he was in 11 grade!?!?!?!? HELLO
HELP

Orange County Ca's picture

Absolutely positively without fail do not tell Daddy your opinion on a subject in her presence.

You stay out of these decisions and tell him ahead of time that you are going to do so. Then tell him that if he wants your opinion on something he is to ask you privately and if you two disagree you will back him up publically 100%.

Do not give this girl the opportunity to see you being overridden and do not put your utter and complete lack of authority on the line for her to see.

A billion girls will grow up in this generation without help from you and so will this one. You'll receive none of the credit, none of the blame and no heartache if you follow this advise.

hismineandours's picture

My dd is 13-the school does not allow her at high school dances. Who knows this girl may not even be going to a dance-it could just be a cover for something else she wants to do. My dd's dances get over at 9pm because most people in the world realize that 13 year olds don't need to be running around at midnight. My 13 year old has no "curfew" because the only place she is is school functions with adult supervision so I've never had to put one in place for her.