You are here

Why would BM ask for kids' SS #s??

FTBMom's picture

I'm new to this site and was hoping someone could answer a question for me... or at least get some thoughts on this one.

I am a full-time stepmom. DH has primary custody of his children and BM has every-other-weekend visitation.

She asked DH multiple times for the children's SS numbers, saying she and her husband needed them to open accounts for the kids and they were mtg with a financial advisor.
This seems suspicious to us: She does not work and only has debt. (Left a lot of debt as well, previously unknown to DH, when she left him and the kids.) Not really knowing what her husband does for a living (he's been very vague about this, but is available for things during the day often, etc.), they don't own a home and we believe only have one car, therefor, assuming there is not a lot of money for "accounts".

So, what do you think it really happening here? (he had to give the numbers to her as legally he must share info with her)
(We do know she is plotting to try to get custody of the kids, but doesn't know we are aware.)

Thanks for any insight!

poisonivy's picture

What's the agreement as far as claiming the children for tax purposes. She may be planning to try and use them to receive EIC benefits next tax season...

just a thought.

iwishyouwould's picture

They might be trying to put a lightbill or something like that under the kids socials - kids have great credit. heh. My H's sister and other relatives did this to him as a child and as a result his credit is ruined.

FTBMom's picture

There is no written agreement in the custody papers. We were told that by law, since he is the custodial parent and they live with us daily with the exception of alternate wkend visits with BM and a few summer weeks with her, that he, legally can claim them on taxes, not her. (although, when they were separated and filing separately, she bugged him to claim the kids. He said yes, not realizing at the time how much it would cost him financially) He has become much better with not allowing that kind of stuff to happen again. Therefor, it wouldn't surprise me if she would try to claim them, but I was thinking with it not being near tax time and she had to have them immediately, that something else might be going on.
Thanks for your thoughts though! Taxes had crossed my mind as well.

FTBMom's picture

That's what I am hoping for... but, I doubt she has any accounts like that since she's never held a job longer than a year and would always spend, not save money.
If they want to put her kids' names on her husband's retirement or life insurance, then so be it. (although he has his own child from a 1st marriage) I just don't know why she wouldn't say that if that were the case.
I don't see where they'd have money to "open accounts" for the kids and that's why I think it's suspicious. Would you make your new spouse's kids from a previous marriage beneficiaries if you had your own child while your new spouse was doing nothing to contribute to the household finances? Seems kinda strange as well.
BTW, no child support is being paid, but I feel strongly that the reason she is looking to try to retain custody is for a large monthly check. (no work outside the home and the kids are in school 9 months a year...)

caregiver1127's picture

She could be taking life insurance policies out on them - I have heard of that happening. Or as iwishyouwould stated putting their name on a utility bill or trying to get a credit card. I would be very suspicious and I would have DH try to find out what it is really for. Also as long as you can prove that you have kids most of the time you can claim on taxes.

FTBMom's picture

Thanks "caregiver"! We can prove by custody docs how often the kids are with us, which is by far, the largest % of time. We hope it doesn't come to that, but if she tries to claim them, we've been told that would be what we would have to do to straighten how who really earns the tax benefit. (yet, i could see her lying on taxes, as she has in the past not reported all income... then letters came in the mail after she left for my dh to pay. thank goodness, all of that kind of stuff is over - he is no longer financially abused by her! (well, he's still paying off some of her debt, but nothing new will be added!)

The whole thing makes me wonder... I just wished she'd put as much energy in trying to find ways to get income by being deceitful as she could in just doing what we do - work hard at honorable jobs to earn our living. Yes, I know... can't teach an old dog new tricks, leopard never changes their spot, etc.... (oh, the world inside my head becomes such a utopia at times!) Smile

iwishyouwould's picture

Instead of speculating and possibly having an issue in the future because she is not being entirely forthright, maybe you could say that you would be happy to give the numbers directly to the bank?