You are here

Who to pay back? BM or Grandparent?

EvilByDefault's picture

DH parenting agreement says that he has to pay 50% of all uncovered dental expenses. SD is getting braces. SD's grandparent has already paid the dental office the balance of the bill in full. BM paid nothing and has no intention of doing so. We would rather pay the grandparent back DH's 50% instead of BM. BM will want the money for herself though, so she's going to fight for it. If we have to pay BM, it feels like we are just handing her this large chunk of money for her to go do whatever with since she didn't pay the bill. It's possible that grandparent will want DH to pay BM instead so as to comply exactly with the parenting agreement.

Any advice?

iqrt's picture

I'd pay back the grandparent.
What is she going to do? Take you to court and say you paid back the person who paid the bill? I can't see that going very well for her.

iqrt's picture

If you suspect it might be an issue that BM will say you didn't pay at all, make sure there is a paper trail, either a copy of the check or something signed by the grandparent.

Anywho78's picture

I'm guessing that the payment from the GP will have a paper trail of some sort (credit card statement, check, etc) so I'd personally pay the GP back. If GP wants BM to have the money, they can pass it to her at their own convenience.

To me, the purpose of reimbursing medical expenses is to ensure that the NCP is paying the CO'd amount...therefore, reimbursing the person who actually payed would make more sense than passing it to a money-grubbing hag.

Jsmom's picture

I would pay the grandparent back and keep copies of everything. Grandparent would probably appreciate it and remember it for the next time you may their help. Keep the money away from BM at all costs...

Jsmom's picture

The dentist will write a check to the BM if her name is the one on the account. Do a money order to the grandparents.