You are here

Who does she think she is?

green-eyed.girl's picture

Just a few things that have gone in the past 2 weeks:

1. I have a 12 year old step daughter who just informed us that her BM has been telling her that our house is haunted. That someone fell from our balcony and died and is now haunting the house. My step daughter tells us she does not believe her BM that she tells her lies all the time to keep her from coming over. But I do know that her telling these lies have affected her at our house, she doesn’t want to be downstairs alone (unless all the lights are on in the house)…

2. Step daughter had a cheer competition over Thanksgiving holiday, which was our holiday time, the BM refused to let us be the ones to take the child to the competition, so we agreed to get the step daughter afterwards, then the BM bribes the step daughter and says she will take her to Disney after the competition, so we said ok we will get her on Saturday. In the mean time the BM asked BF to give the daughter spending money, which he did with no problems, only to find out that the BM did not take her to Disney and took her spending money and told the daughter not to tell us. Then the BM calls us to complain about all the money she spent on taking her to the competition (which we would have gladly taken her and did those things for her and not complained about anything). They won 1st place in Regional and moved to Nationals!

3. My step daughter had a cheerleading practice on a night that she was with us, we took her, the BM called BF and demanded to know if I was going to be there, he stated “Yes” she is her SM and my wife and she has all rights to be there, the BM informed him if I showed up she would take and leave with their daughter. We stood our ground, went to practice, the BM walked into the gymnasium and called the daughter out, the daughter ran to her squad and the BM grabbed her by the arm and took her out of the building. We stayed for the parent meeting (45 minutes later) and as we were leaving she showed back up with her daughter, she thought we were going to go back into the building and drove off, once she realized we were leaving she took the daughter back to practice.

4. I wrote a post about step-mom and school… BM refuses to acknowledge father has rights.

What really blows my mind is that they have been divorced for over 2 years, separated over 3… She has remarried, had another child and continues to act this way towards us, BF pays child support and pays 100% on any extra curricular activities… The BM will not accept me, and has said to the BF that all he has to do is leave me and he can have his daughter anytime he wants to. That I am the one causing their daughter pain. When the daughter is at our house she is loving towards me and seems relaxed and calm. So with that being said the daughter doesn’t have a problem with me it’s the BM who does…

WHAT MAKES HER THINK SHE CAN CONTROL/DEMAND THAT? WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS?

Conflicted's picture

If you figure out who the hell these women think they are, let me know! This question keeps me up at night and fills me with hate and anger. Not only the question of WHO DOES SHE THINK SHE IS? But also WHY DO THE COURTS KEEP ALLOWING HER TO GET AWAY WITH IT?
My dh says all he has to do is grow some tits and his rights will be recognized.

Sounds like the BM you are dealing with is truly sick. I feel very sorry for your SD.

Elise's picture

I know it sucks right now! I have similar experiences with our boys and the BM trying to ban me from school events. The sad thing is they are hurting their kids not you (or us). It's hard enough being a teen. I still can remember hard times from my younger years. I cannot imagine being dragged out of cheerleading practice. The BM is sabotaging her relationship with her daughter (even though she's trying to sabotage yours). Your SD will look back and resent her for this type of behavior. You just keep doing what you are doing and be a positive role model for her. God knows she really needs it! Good luck!

Run 4 the hills's picture

Very familiar.

Not sure there is a lot you can do to sort this bitter old bag out. It’s all about control and trying to damage everyone’s relationship. Where do these women get off using their own kids in this way? Even when you point out to them that they are damaging their own flesh and blood they are too selfish to even care. It’s all about their drama and their revenge.

In my experience they can carry on acting like this for years, if not with the kids then with plenty of other family members – just to be vindictive and destructive. It’s all about getting rid of you. She is soooooooooooo jealous. She clearly has issues that she does not acknowledge or intend to resolve.

Even if you go via the courts for some form of defined contact order, she will not necessarily stick to that. In fact, this often makes them even more determined to destroy.

The only helpful thing I could suggest is to report it as a form of emotional abuse to the authorities or get DH to contact the school counselling service saying that you are concerned about the effect her mother’s behaviour may have on her long term. I won’t even suggest family therapy as you would only want to punch her lights out and if it were just the three of them attending then you would just be sidelined while they sort their crap out – which YOU are a part of (thanks to her).

Good luck and try not to let them grind you down.

lovin_my_life's picture

My fiancee's ex will get upset if I'm with him when he picks up/drops the kids off. I mean, we're a couple, so you think that she would get used to it....

As far as the behavior, you or your hubby should report it. It sounds like there is some serious mental abuse and verbal abuse. She is violating her daughters rights and it needs to be taken care of. Good luck with everything!!