You are here

Which is more important: Fostering DH's relationship with SD8? Or creating my own?

supernewbieSM's picture

My DH and I just got married last weekend after two years together. I moved in with him about eight months ago once we were engaged. My SD is 8, and we get along well. The BM is reasonable.

I don't have BKs and for the past seven years I lived happily on my own. I spent the first many months living with DH and SD trying to be perfect. Gentle, accommodating, making every moment the three of us were together about the SD.

Now I realize that's unsustainable. At least for me. I was following my DH's lead, but now I feel claustrophobic and encroached on.

I don't want to do an about-face - that would be confusing to SD and she doesn't deserve that.

But I need to be better about creating boundaries for myself.

I think one way to do that is to gently pull back a bit and spend my energy making sure DH and SD's relationship is going well (they're very close). She has a mom and doesn't need me in that way, but I find her to be needy in ways that make me want to run for the hills.

Any suggestions?

roseslady2's picture

What about focusing on your relationship with your DH and your relationship with SD will get better by proxy if they're that close?