You are here

What is your OFW experience like?

abugandabean's picture

DH and BM went to mediation in December. She like all the others is uber crazy, toxic, high conflict, a stalker, etc. You guys get it.

Anyway because of this site I introduced DH to the concept of OFW he latched on and thought it was a good idea he brought it up in mediation BM said no and then DH said he'd pay for her portion and the mediator told her that she should do it so she did.

So fast forward to now. I was truly hoping this would calm down the crazy but it seems to only have amped it up. We've caught her in several lies which is great for us and we are calling her on all of her bullshit while remaining overly tactful and respectful so she's making herself look bad but who knows when they will be back in court, if ever for this all to be used.

I am just curious to see what other people got out of OFW or on the flip side didn't get out of it. For instance the court order states that she has to check it every 24 hours and respond to messages within 24 hours well on 2 separate occasions this has not happens so technically she's in contempt however it seems immature to even push that issue.

I do like being able to see when she reads messages though, and quite honestly it has been sort of fun for me watching her unravel and make a fool of herself but like I said it's not productive and there have been emails that he wouldn't have responded to if it went to his personal email account because it wasn't relevant to SD but we feel obligated to respond to her random stuff now because it's said emails need to be responded to within 24 hours and we don't want to look bad.

Evil stepmonster's picture

I'm sorry, I joined in October and am still unfamilar with some of the lingo, what is an OFW?

abugandabean's picture

Our Family Wizard. It's a website that co-parents can use that the court has access to. The parents are only to communicate via the website so that everything is documented. There is a calendar, an emailing feature, an expense feature and you can actually pay the other parent for things if necessary, etc. It's really cool actually and it eliminates all the he said she said garbage cause it's all right there.

abugandabean's picture

So far I seem to enjoy it, but sometimes it is a pain in the ass. Also just so you know it's 100 bucks a parents per year.

Calypso1977's picture

its been good for tracking sent messages, when read, etc. otherwise, the calendar is utterly useless as BM refuses to populate it with any of SD's stuff.

we have more than enough unanswered messages (they have a 48 hour deadline) to take her to court but it isn't worth it, and we know it probably wouldn't do anything anyway.

we can easily afford the $100 so its worth it for now for message tracking, but if we were struggling, this would be an expense that would be cut ASAP because it just isn't being used for its true purpose.

also, for just one kid with no activities it seems like overkill. if you have several very involved kids AND both parties USE it, I can see it being a benefit.