You are here

What is "normal"?

luchay's picture

Ok.

I am pissed off today, lets start there LOL

What is normal in your house in terms of the amount of time the NCP has the skids and takes them out away from you *and your own children if you have any?

Say for example....

My OH has the skids every Wednesday night, and every second weekend from Friday after school to Sunday about 9pm. Usually we have them extra time on BM weekend as she always has plans... Last week was from after school Friday to Sunday morning....

On Weds

my dd's have acro class from 7-8 pm - so we leave the house at 6.20. OH and the kids are gone by the time we get home (usually he leaves at about 8.15pm.

He will pick them up from school on Weds - 3.30pm, and not get home until 6-6.30 - we need to eat before we go out so this annoys me. He is also supposed to cook that night.

Then Friday -

I pick up dd's - dd8 has dancing 4-5 then 6-8 so she has a tea break - I drop her by 4 and come home by 4.30, leave again to pick up at 7.20.

OH picks them up from school - usually not home until 7pm... Tonight he came home at 5.15 because I had Devonshire tea for them all (dd had hers in the car) they ate tea and he has taken them out again....

Saturday

I take dd's to dancing for 9am, home by 9.30, leave to pick up at 3.20. So I am here ALL day... doing housework, washing, just hanging out and relaxing.

OH and skids sleep in til say 11-12 (SD often gets up when I go out, and takes over my spot on the couch and TV) Then he gets them food, sits for an hour or so - annnddddd - you guessed it - takes them out til about 5-6pm.

Sundays we do family stuff all together.

IS THIS NORMAL????

Am I wrong to be pissy about this???

luchay's picture

1. When they aren't here no, he generally doesn't do much, any "going out" with just me/me and dd's/ ALL of us together *I* arrange. The ONLY time he gets motivated is to take the snowflakes out.

2. Yes, I think he does feel it needs to be laid on entertainment the entire time. they are incapable of entertaining themselves.

3. I have always stated (to him and here) that I am fine with him taking them out and spending one on one (two LOL) time with them, it's the amount of time he is spending out and about with them that I have issues with.

4. Yes, it does stretch the budget, it costs (varying) every time. Maybe just $10 to get ice creams, up to $100 for a day out, usually at least one fast food stop $30 a week etc. It adds up.

Will go into more detail about why I have a problem with it at the end.

Sparklelady's picture

No you're entitled to your feelings... I wonder why it bothers you, though? Do you feel left out? Do you think they're having fun when they should be (insert here)?

Saturdays I never allow anyone in the house to sleep past 9:30/10 - partly because I think that's lazy, if you're so tired you should have gone to bed earlier, but mostly because I believe you should keep a normal routine, keep bedtimes and wake times similar to school days. That's just me. Smile

luchay's picture

Will answer first bit at the end.

My OH gets up at 4.15 every morning, works generally a 14 hour day (unless it's a skid day) and we often don't get to bed until 11pm, so HE is sleep deprived. I feel the same as you, I do allow the dd's to stay up a little later and sleep in a little on weekends, if it weren't for the skids it would only be Saturday nights as they have very full Saturdays. I have no control over the skids - they sleep until they want they have NO extra-currics

(oh I tell a lie, BM has just enrolled SD13 in a contemporary dance class on Thursday night. She was trying to get her into the main dance school that is opposition to the one my girls go to - as in these two companies are the best and they are each others main competition at comps etc. But these dance schools require auditions/invitation only for solo and troupe work - anyone can attend classes and do the concerts, but the comps etc are elite. SD didn't pass the audition so she refused to go there! Oh I sound such a dance mum!!! My issue with this isn't "my kids are better blah di blah" it's that SD and BM KNOW that these are the best two schools in the area and SD went ON and ON about how she was going to be competing against dd11 in the comps etc so DD better watch out! DD11 has danced since she was 4, classical ballet, jazz, tap, contemporary and acro. Both dd's do 12 hours a week - including stretch classes and troupe classes etc. So my kids have been committed to this for YEARS. They work bloody hard and love it. SD hasn't taken anything seriously ever. She did baby ballet when she was 4/5 and thinks she can compete? Meh, maybe I am being a dance mum LOL no, I hope I have made sense here - it's about trying to compete with my kids.)

luchay's picture

Yes and no.

When they are here he's 100% about them. I cease to exist as an equal partner and lover. Oh that's a lie too. when they eventually go to bed he does pay me attention and expect sex.

He will get them up and make them breakfast and the three of them will sit and eat together, I am just sitting there by myself - would it kill him to include me?

They spend SO much time out of the house in their little family group. Would it kill him occasionally to stay home and be normal. Or again, include me?

SOMETIMES - maybe once a week take them out for special alone time. It's the degree of it.

Generic's picture

Oh my god, I am so confused. So you want your skids to hang around? Have you been reading the blogs? You will be amazingly disappointed if you pursue this blended family fantasy. You deserve respect and courtesy in your home. Expecting anything else is pushing it.

luchay's picture

And BINGO - THAT is exactly it!!!!

My kids are living "normal" life. We go to school, we go to dancing, we hang out at home and play, we do chores, we sit and watch TV, and SOMETIMES we have days out and treats.

His kids are living in freaking Disneyland - every visit with Daddy involves trips out to anywhere really.

And I will explain at the bottom the nitty gritty of WHY it bother me so much.

jumanji's picture

How is your husband supposed to keep his kids around your kids when your kids are pretty well busy and out when his kids are around?

luchay's picture

Ummmm, ok.

If you read the times listed above accurately you would have noticed that the times when my kids ARE here is when he is taking his out. He turns up around the time he knows we have to leave or in time to eat a quick meal with us (if at all)

So - are you answering my question in a strange roundabout way - in that to YOU this would be normal - for the NCP to keep his kids separate and NOT try and integrate them into his NORMAL family life? For you it is normal for him and his kids to maintain that separate family unit, and for your OH to be out with just his kids most of the visitation time?

onthefence2's picture

What are they out doing? I mean, I'd be glad not to have to worry about his kids, but if he is spending all kinds of money he doesn't have, that's a problem. Your kids seem busy as well; are you wanting him to get his kids involved in something more constructive? My kids do lots of sports and activities, so I understand. If Dad is spoiling them it's going to be a problem eventually...

luchay's picture

They go visit his friends and family.

They go to the library, parks, the beach, play centres, the movies, the drive in, fast food restaurants.

His daughter has just in the last few weeks started dance class one night a week. Apart from that they have no activities, yes my girls are very busy with theirs. And when they aren't at dancing they are pretty much home, hanging out, playing, doing chores and just living a normal life.

luchay's picture

Ok.

Thanks for all the replies, not many actually addressed with is "normal" in your houses so I am still unsure if I am being ridiculous.

My thoughts and feelings on this...

Ok, Firstly, I have always actively encouraged him to spend time with just the two of them, I even tried to get him to ask BM for an extra evening a week where he just takes one at a time - say ss one week for a few hours to hang out and sd the next week. He hasn't done so. So I think that him spending time with just them is important, I get a lot of alone time with my kids to chat and stay connected in all the driving back and forth to dancing LOL - incidental time.

Secondly. His kids are STILL having a hard time understanding that OH is MY partner, that we are a couple and have a life together. They think he "belongs" to them and they get very upset and angry if he doesn't bow down and do as they wish when they wish. If they call and request he take them somewhere/do something with them and he has the temerity to say no he is busy all hell breaks loose. They don't see this as OUR home. They have on occasion told me it's their DAD'S home and they can do as they please and I need to go. That it's not MY house (which I politely pointed out was BS as it's their dad's AND mine, we bought it together and we both pay for it and live in it)

Thirdly, I don't think it's healthy or normal for them to think that daddy is at their beck and call, I think they need to see daddy living a normal life, doing normal family stuff in our home WITH me and with the dd's. How are they ever going to accept this is his (and part of their) life if they never see the reality. They are able to continue to minimise my place in his life because this is what he teaches them everytime he takes them out and treats them special and eats meals with them and leaves me sitting. He is teaching them that *I* am not important, that I am not a part of the family, that it's him and them all the way.

Fourthly, perhaps naively I thought we were trying to create a blended family together, where we are the happy couple and we all hang out, take care of our home, we do couple stuff, the kids to kid stuff and we spend quality family time together IN a balanced way. These kids are never going to see his real home life, or be a part of this family if he keeps on keeping them and us mentality.

They refuse to do anything around here. Ok, this may be petty - but sd had cooking at school yesterday, she made a huge container of crepes with fruit filling. She waited and waited this morning until OH and SS were up, then she laid the table for the three of them, all pretty (with MY best stuff) and heated up the crepes and served the three of them breakfast. A beautiful family scene, no? And there I was left sitting on the sofa by myself and it did not occur to ANY of them that perhaps including me might be the well mannered thing to do. And it upsets the heck out of me. And I would NEVER allow one of my DD's to treat anyone this way,

and I am just so fed up and pissed off and over the whole fucking lot of it. And he knows I am upset, he has been touching me and holding me and kissing me and telling me I am beautiful all morning, and asking if I am ok and being really solicitous of me. Well, right up until the three of them headed jauntily out the door, picnic in tow for an afternoon at Phillip Island, swimming, hanging out etc.

Sparklelady's picture

Okay, now that you have clarified I can tell you that yes this is perfectly normal - but that doesn't mean that it's right! It's normal because your husband doesn't know that these things bother you, and he clearly loves you, so he's probably thinking he's doing you a favour. It's normal because there aren't any boundaries set up by your husband concerning his children and enforced by your husband. This is the way the children expect things to be, and no one is stopping it from being that way, so it is normal. Your hatred of the situation is normal, because what's happening is excluding you, demeaning your role in your own home, and leaving you to handle most of the non-fun domestic tasks.

The first thing I would suggest you do, is start to be honest with your husband about how you feel. I get the impression that you allow this frustration to simmer but you stay silent. I swear, men do not know how to read our minds, they must be told when something is upsetting to us. (They must also be told things like anniversary dates, birthdates, present that we would like to receive etc. etc.)

No correction, the first thing I think you should do, is stop allowing yourself and your feelings to be ignored. The children are only pushing you away, because you are allowing it by not speaking up. You should never have been sitting by yourself on the sofa while the three of them ate crepes! You don't have to allow this. Believe that you deserve better treatment. Then go and be honest with your husband! You don't have to live like this. Hugs.

Disneyfan's picture

Considering all the past issues, he may think what he's doing is best for everyone.

After reading what his daughter wrote about you, why would you want to pretend you all are one big happy family???

Keeping them out of your hair is a good thing.

luchay's picture

Oh, I have told him OVER and OVER that I would like to be included at least SOMETIMES!!!!!

We have two weeks til our next counselling, I will be sitting him down at that session and spelling it out yet again.

And my reasons for feeling it.

thanks again everyone.

onthefence2's picture

After reading all your follow up posts, this is absolutely not normal. It isn't even about him wanting to get the skids out of your hair. It's about him putting them before you; why isn't he pining for time with you and making it happen? It's not because he doesn't think it's important to you. It's because men can be STUPID. I would be incredibly hurt at the things you are dealing with. I have had my own issues with my bf and his son and not existing all of a sudden during his time with him. We have worked through it and things have gotten much better. If you matter to him, he should be able to compromise with you. And for what it's worth, I wouldn't want to spend too much time with those kids, so be careful what you wish for. Make sure he understands that this is more about the two of you rather than you wanting to be Mommy to his kids. Because remember, men can be STUPID! LOL

Rags's picture

My wife was the CP in our blended family adventure. NCP Bio Dad (the Sperm Idiot) got 7 weeks of visitation per year. 5wks summer, 1wk winter, 1wk spring.

Fairly regularly the Sperm Clan would play the "we can't afford our half of the plane ticket" card and would not take their visitation. Generally my wife and I were fine with that. We enjoyed having the kid at home and any opportunity to minimize his exposure to the shallow and poluted end of his gene pool was a good thing.

When it would get to a year or so that the Sperm Clan had not taken visitation I would pay for their half of visitation travel. Not for any other reason than when we married I commited to my wife that I would never deny SS a relationship with his Sperm Clan. I paid for their half of air travel no more than 3 or 4 times over the 16+ year course that the CO was in effect.

abugandabean's picture

I find this a bit strange and I would be hurt and feel left out. Although how do your daughters feel about it? They live with their step dad full time do they also feel hurt they they are not being included in the fun? They are pretty young to be left out of the loop and seeing everyone trot out the door while they are left behind.

You did say though that Sunday's are family days so maybe he thinks that is how he is including you?

luchay's picture

Oh yes, that's another area that it sucks.

My kids have to sit and watch them go off for fun days out, hear ALL about it when they get home, right down to "Dadddyyyy bought us lollies and ice creams and slushies and took us here there and everywhere"

Comments like "We went to visit So-and-so; oh you wouldn't know them they're FAMILY!" SD said this to me once right in front of OH and he said NOTHING. I know I am becoming passive/aggressive myself but now I drop into conversation which friends we have seen during the time they aren't with us }:) People she has no idea that I know because we never visit with them when the steps are here, because they would take it back to BM who banned all their mutual friends from ever speaking to OH again when he left her.

I just want to be clear - it's only the AMOUNT of time that he does it that I have a problem with. I do feel it shows his kids that we are separate from them, that we aren't all one family (and no matter what anyone says - as fucked up as we are - we are all family - unfortunately.... what's that old saying - you can pick your friends you can't pick your family - well I sure as heck didn't pick these two yet here they are stuck in my life - they MUST be family LOL)