You are here

What is Kell Positive

Maxwell09's picture

BM texted DH earlier this week blaming him for her high risk pregnancy and all the problems she's been having while being pregnant. She said that DH has to have a blood type that is Kell Positive. Is there any other way (besides blood transfusion) that she could have been exposed to this antigen other than DH. Does this mean my SS2 has a Kell positive blood type and can I get him tested to see? Is Kell only spread by the men? Her pregnancy with SS2 was just fine but she did have a C-sections and was "exposed" to this antigen or whatever it is. In basic terms from what I read, Kell is where the mother's body attacks that fetus because it recognizes the fetus as a foreign invader. Its the cause of miscarriages and stillbirths.

Does anybody here know anything about this?

libra2libra83's picture

Kell Positive is when the RH factor for mother and father is different. For example, I am O negative. My SO is B positive. My first pregnancy with him would be fine, since my body has not created the antibodies for the positive RH factor. My second pregnancy would be high risk if my child had a positive RH factor as well. My immune system would attack the baby. It is within the best interest that differences in RH among BM and BF be known BEFORE the end of the first trimester. They have an "cure" that doctors will use to keep your body from getting the antibodies during your first pregnancy. Your SS is not Kell Positive. He may have a positive RH factor, but that is it. BM should have done her research while pregnant.

AllySkoo's picture

I don't think this is right... everything I've seen says Kell and Rh (Rhesus) are different, although they're both things related to blood.

QueenBeau's picture

"Mothers who are negative for the Kell 1 antigen develop antibodies after being exposed to red blood cells that are positive for Kell 1."

That may be wrong because it is from wikipedia, but I think the above poster was correct. BM is a fool. You can't 'pass it on' to your kids. You either have a positive blood type or a negative blood type. If you're a BM with a negative blood type & your DH has the positive blood type & you get pregnant, you may end up having a reaction to the baby. Not the first, but the second. BM may not have had a reaction with your ss because it was the first pregnancy with a positive blood type baby. Now she is. They give her a shot, everything is ok.

Kellp's picture

Hi, I found this due to a Google search about Kell + blood, and I wanted to post because there are many inaccuracies.
Kell is another type of blood group. A/B/O. And Rh + or - are blood groups you hear about most often, but there are MANY other factors in blood typing. One of the next most dangerous in pregnancy and transfusions is the Kell blood factor. It behaves a lot like the Rhesus +/- factor. There is a shot that can be given to Rh - mothers to prevent their immune systems from attacking Rh + fetuses in a second pregnancy. There is nothing like that for the Kell blood group. And Kell is not routinely tested for (although donated blood is cross-matched in non-emergency situations and a Kell mismatch would be caught by that).

I learned about this because I am O+ and I was a regular blood donor, but I am also Kell +, so my blood is not safe to give to women of child-bearing age. I still give blood, but I understand the red cells are used for testing/research, rather than transfusion. I assume the Kell + factor was found in a cross-match, since Kell is not among the standard testing blood groups.

AllySkoo's picture

It's a bit complicated. As I understand it, either the mother or the father can be "Kell positive". (It's not a disease, not "spread" by anyone. Think of it more like blood type - just genetics.) Their children then have a *chance* of being Kell positive as well. (So yes, if DH is Kell positive, then SS might be. I don't know anything about what you'd need to do to get him tested, but mention it to his pediatrician.)

Is this new baby your DH's though? Because if the new baby is NOT your DH's and is at risk because the baby is Kell positive (Kell negative babies wouldn't be, as I understand it) then BM is the one who's Kell positive. (If it's his child though then it could be his "fault", although it's just genetics and not really someone's "fault".)

By the way, according to Wikipedia, here's some more info on Kell:

The Kell antigen system (also known as Kell-Cellano system) is a group of antigens on the human red blood cell surface which are important determinants of blood type and are targets for autoimmune or alloimmune diseases which destroy red blood cells.

Sparklelady's picture

My sister had to be treated with her two pregnancies as well. Not sure why BM is freaking out on your DH? Sheesh.

QueenBeau's picture

BM just wants to have an argument with your DH to feed her pregnancy hormone induced mania. She wants emotional attention, good or bad. She wants DH to talk to her about her past & current pregnancies.

Just ignore ignore ignore.

QueenBeau's picture

That's what I was wondering. It could only be 'his fault' if she was again pregnant with his child..

overworkedmom's picture

Then your DH isn't responsible at all. She's nuts!

Maxwell09's picture

She is pregnant by a different guy NOT by DH. She's saying that he gave her this Rh disease or whatever it is and thats why her body is attacking her fetus…we suspect she is just trying to blame DH husband for anything thats going wrong in her life, but I just want to make sure before we just ignore her.

hereiam's picture

If she is blaming your DH, I assume she knows that SHE is not the one who is Kell positive?

So, if your DH is Kell positive, then BM produced the anti-Kell antibodies during the birth of SS, which would mean that SS is also Kell positive.

BUT for them to be attacking the fetus she is carrying now would mean the fetus is Kell positive and your DH did not make that happen. One of the parents has to be Kell positive, it's not something your DH "gave" BM that she can pass on to her children from another man.

It is not the same as the RH factor and there is no shot for it.

QueenBeau's picture

I would like to add that being Kell negative or positive is not a disease or something you get SS tested for. I mean, unless he wants to donate blood or needs a blood transfusion or wants to give somebody an organ... then they would tell him his blood type, it would be positive or negative... if it's positive he's kell positive, negative kell negative... from what I understand.

Orange County Ca's picture

Pregnant women are nuttier than un-pregnant ones. I suspect your husband is doing what you should be doing - ignoring her.

Shaman29's picture

Are you sh**ting me with that comment OC?? Of all the ignorant, sexist, jack-ass things to say.

You have achieved a whole new level of stupid by posting something like that on a blog mostly populated by women.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. Do us all a favor and live by this credo.

Maxwell09's picture

Yes bc God forbid I go to a site that supports me to ask for advice and information. Really, what was the point of your comment at all. Go be negative somewhere else

Maxwell09's picture

This was a great post! It explains a lot and is pretty much what I was expecting all of this nonsense to be. Thank You

Frustratedlady's picture

I was explained Kell Positive is if you have O negative blood, when you deliver your baby there is a certain amount of blood from the baby that is released into the mother system. If the baby has anything other that O negative blood then it can lessen your chances of having another healthy baby. I received the rhogam shot with both my kids. If you don't receive the shot during your first pregnancy, then it can result in Kell Positive in the next pregnancy. It is in no way a disease or transmitted by anyone else.