You are here

What to include in parenting plan?

loopsie's picture

So I'm about to no longer be a step parent but I need help figuring out what I need to include in the parenting plan for my child. What did you include that are glad you did or wish you would have?  Soon to be ex is HIGH conflict so any deviations without getting the plan changed via court won't happen. 

loopsie's picture

One child under the age of 2. Appears will be 50/50 (difficult to get other in state of residence) with maybe an assigned decision maker. 

Winterglow's picture

Absolutely insist that all communication is to be via Our Family Wizard. As everything can be seen by the judge/court it keeps aggressivity to a minimum (in theort) and also lets you block your ex for phone, social media, texte, etc. because everything should go through OFW. Check out their website.

loopsie's picture

We are actually using it now and I had considered not continuing as the app seems pretty buggy. I hadn't thought about the permissibility in court though.  Thank you!

Thisisnotus's picture

Make it as detailed as possible.

I have a friend whose says so much detail that it even includes that the kids can’t be on a boat until they are 8 and they can’t be around certain dog breeds.

Thisisnotus's picture

I think it got in by mistake. Like the attorney used someone else’s to edit and didn’t take that part out.

neither had boats or dogs. 

My friends also had the “morality clause” which I think is complete BS. No members of the opposite sex could spend the night in the kids presence...unless related by blood or marriage .until they turned 18....the kid was like 7 at the time. Anyone who puts that in has major problems. 

BM here also put in the morality clause....DH and I got married so that ended but she is stuck with it for 6 more years....

Rags's picture

You may want to consider moving before nailing down  the details in the COd parenting plan.  If not out of state then outside of the radius for an EOWE or EOW visitation schedule.  In many states that is 200 miles.  We never lived closer than 1200 miles to SpermLand so we maintained a long distance visitation schedule model.   Visitation landed on 7 weeks per year.  (5wks summer, ~1wk winter, 1wk spring).  Winter visitation alternated on even and odd years.  Even years it was from the day school released u til Dec 24th and odd years it was from Dec 26th until the day before school started.  We never had to fight over Holidays because if they did not fall during Thur time they didn't get them and vise versa.

Because summer was a long visitation after the first 2 weeks of SoermClan visitation my wife could take 29 days with the Skid in SpermLand.  SoermGrandHag  that and did everything in her power to interfere if we chose to take that ten days.   The start date for their 5wks in the summer was supposed to be at their discretion but since she played games with my wife's mid summer visitation 10 days we just told them the date that summer visitation could start.  Since the Hag was playing games she never had the balls to take us to court over controlling the start date of summer visitation.  Nail down clarity on the start and end of visitation.

For us the transportation medium and clear visitation beginning and end points were the high drama repeated clarification elements that kept us going back to the Judge for clarity.  In the end the wording clarified that the NCP could transport the kid as he saw fit including via family or friends.  He never once came to get or return the kid when he was a toddler.  Not what we wanted but.... never forget that it is the idiot in the stupid Harry Potter robes slinging the Fisher-Price wooden hammer that has the power.   Regarding start and end points, they played a lot of games in that topic.   Initially they took the stance that visitation did not start until he arrived in SpermLand and ended the day after the stipulated visitation period.   In other words. Travel was on my DE

's time rather than the SoermIdiot's time.  They wanted him removed from school early and wanted to return him the day school started after holidays.   The wording settled that visitation began the day after school ended and ended the day before school started.

Make sure that you have CS collected as payroll withholding from his pay checks by his employer.  That alleviates any need to discuss CS payment.