You are here

What to expect when CS ends

novemberm's picture

My boyfriend is finally starting to see how horrible his adult kids are, mainly (I think) because of how badly they have been to me, and from things they have said to him lately. I know he is hurting and guilty, but he has really stopped enabling and I am so proud of him.

I was ready to leave, but since he has been doing so well, and I really love him, I am sticking around. BUT....CS ends next June. I am not dwelling on this, bc I have enough stress in my life now. But, I am wondering if anyone has dealt with a BM losing CS, especially when it is pretty much her only source of income?

My bf is paying 150 a week for his 18 year old who failed school, and was expelled for pot once last year, and is currently smoking it all of the time now. This son, the 19 year old son and 22 y/o daughter, BM, and BM's mom all live together in a tiny house. BM's mom was the only one working full-time, but her health is not good now, and we don't even know if she still is. Daughter works 20 hours a week, refuses to get more hours. Older son refuses to work at all, as does BM-neither have ever worked.

So, I am trying to imagine if all hell will break loose next year when that CS is over?

Newstep's picture

I am sure they will try to pull something. But legally at least in my state CA child support ends at 18 or until they graduate HS. I don't get how anyone can depend on CS as their sole income with no other plan. Just boggles my mind!!! My BM gets a lot of CS every month with no job no plan to getbone either.

novemberm's picture

It boggles my mind, too. I can't understand how they are living on the CS. The CS should have ended, but my bf's son failed, so here we go again. It is a shame, bc he is a bright person, but so incredibly lazy, and the pot is not helping. Sigh.

sixteensmom's picture

Our cs ended two years ago but we're still paying alimony for several more years. when that ends I expect all hell to break for sure!

novemberm's picture

I think all hell will break loose in your case, and I feel for you.

My bf's ex was supposed to get alimony for 3 years-about $200 a week, I think. She drove the lawyers and mediators crazy bc she wanted it for years and years. She refuses to work. After all her stalling and moaning during the divorce proceedings,and a month after she and my bf were divorced, she got re-married. Bye bye alimony. 2 months or so after that, she called my bf and asked to borrow $2500 from him bc she wanted to get an annulment from the new guy. We were laughing, of course. The reason for the annulment? She wanted her alimony "back." Her lawyer explained that was not possible. He called my bf's lawyer and remarked how she was nuttier than he thought.

It gets better-when all this was going on, my bf was allowing her to pick up the CS checks at his house. All of a sudden, she went to our local probation department and arranged for the CS to be taken directly from my bf's pay checks. Why? She brought the original divorce decree showing the alimony and thought they would not realize that the alimony had ended. Imagine her surprise when they pulled out the amendment showing she was only to get CS. TOO FUNNY! She makes for some good comedy at times.

I wish you luck when your BM's alimony ends!!!!!

herewegoagain's picture

Who cares? Be happy that it ends next June...that hopefully he'll graduate or that your state allows it to end at 18 or 19...We are stuck with an idiot 17yr old in 9th grade still! No end in sight!!!

Take deep breaths, don't worry about what they will do once CS is gone...not your problem. If they start whining, too bad. Make sure that if you think your DH will hand them money, that you separate your finances BEFORE that happens...

Good luck to you...soon it will be over...Most of these idiot kids disappear once they can no longer squeeze money out of dad.

novemberm's picture

A 17 year old in 9th grade...lovely.

Yep, when my bf stopped handing them money, they stopped contacting him. What they do now is make him feel guilty by whining on Facebook. He is not falling for it.

Sweetnothings's picture

Well, younger Skid failed exams this year and is waiting to find out if Skid can do the second year and finish it, but I had reservations about Skid doing this, not at all academic. I think it was the BM saying do it because we get almost 3 extra years of CS, as it could have been finished last year......sigh...

DH still paying out regularly to sd21.....he says it stops completely in two years...... I still don't think it will, plus I know she wants to move here ( we are in another country ) and we have already agreed she will not live with us again.....so how will she manage this move without DH ??? Well, DH's money, anyway......

I don't think it ever really ends..........

novemberm's picture

No, it never ends. My bf's kids get worse and worse and worse. I can totally see your BM telling your Skid to do that, bc I can our BM doing that. ANYTHING to get money for her cigarettes and lottery tix.

novemberm's picture

I thought about the college aspect, especially bc my bf's son is bright. However, he has already failed and is in special education classes (for behaviors only) where he refuses to do anything all day. I think a lot of it is the pot, and a lot is pure laziness. I don't know if BM would try to push him into some kind of college or tech school. All of them are so lazy, that they probably would not even want to fill out the applications.

giveitago's picture

I recall the day we stopped paying CS, we'd had custody of the kids for about two years and we decided it was time we stopped paying out! Yeah, there's something badly wrong with that picture...I know! This was early days, kids were more important to us than money.

DH went to drop off SD for a visit and BM knew by his determined walk that he was about to tell her something she did not want to hear. I later found out from SD that BM said 'that b@$tard is not going to pay me any more' and we chuckled. BM really only thinks in $$'s so it's not surprising that was her immediate thought. BM went on to marry a rich man, divorce him and then take him to the cleaners...I mean...how else was she supposed to maintain her lifestyle? Did that sound facetious? Ooops, my bad!

novemberm's picture

Our BM thinks only in $$'s too! And she taught her kids that from early on. Isnt that precious?

Your BM found a sucker, but our BM has no hope of that-she does not bathe, and looks like she is on meth. She was so pretty when she met my bf. Now, she looks like she could be his mom, the way her face has aged. She never brushed her teeth, and now has like one left. I guess this is karma in action, as she is an abusive, lying, stealing, nasty person. The guy she married last year already left, and he was no prize, as you can imagine. My bf thinks she is trolling for new guys, but OMG, I can't imagine what she would find.

aggravated1's picture

I cannot WAIT for the day CS ends with Crackhead BM. less than 3 years! I hope hell breaks loose. I hope she cries where I can see it.

aggravated1's picture

Hopefully she will still be dating the loser across the street, and he can witness the festivities~ Maybe I will make it a block party and invite him too!

novemberm's picture

You should have the biggest block party in history! Take lots of pics. Smile

PS Your signature line cracks me up!

caregiver1127's picture

Our CS is ending next June as well but I have a feeling that BM thinks we are going to pay for SS all through college - where they live it used to be until 21 but that was changed to 18 a few years ago - DH and I think she thinks that she is going to take our CS and tell SS that is her contribution to college after he graduates next June - she is in for a shock - also she is not making him get a job even though he will be 18 in a few months and babies him - can't wait to see what happens when the CS stops - it should be quite a show!!!!!

novemberm's picture

I think you are on to your BM's plan. She is like our BM-doesnt make the kids work. They sit around all day, eating and playing on the puter. And smoking pot, but I think that is not in the home. It is a mess.