You are here

What does the daily routine/schedule look like for 5 year old boy when you're a SAHM?

sandy1234's picture

Custody papers getting finalized soon. I am working on a daily schedule/routine that will include craft time, educational time, outdoor play, indoor play, cartoon time, making lunch/dinner together, minor chore/household duty, etc. Please help! I have no idea what the daily routine(that works) for a five year old would look like. I have written up a draft but can't be confident without hearing from other SAHMs, which I will become(at least until school year starts in August).

StickAFork's picture

Sounds like you have most of the big stuff nailed. Smile

Remember to still be silly... build a tent in the family room, dance around, pretend to be farm animals, whatever. Just have fun. They grow up so quickly. Smile

sandy1234's picture

Thank you! Yes I think I enjoy the silly stuff even more than him Blum 3 Had a talk with DH recently and he has let the "I'm a man" wall down and has been getting on SS level, so to speak.

Plus, who doesn't love tents in the living room?? C'mon, you all know you do Wink

sandy1234's picture

K for sure. We have been doing some research and have one particular private school that we are having a meeting at with the principal. Not saying private is better or less, we just like the school.

Queeny's picture

Lots of reading time! I call it "circle time" with my kiddos. It teaches them to be quiet, listen, sit still, and interact. KCPT on TV has some good educational programs on too that give little suggestions for crafts and projects. Sid the Science Kid comes on at 10:30 A central time. Pinterest is another place I get LOTS of ideas for artsy ideas.

sandy1234's picture

Yeah I have gotten so many ideas from Pintrest!

I like the circle time idea. May have to try that Smile

Still Have Hope's picture

Make sure he has time to do things on his own. Kids need to learn to entertain themselves. Nothing worse than a kid who has no idea what to do with unscheduled time. Unscheduled time should not be used for video games or TV. Friends always commented on how my kids were able to entertain themselves so we could chat without interruption. Sounds like a small thing until you see an older kid who has no idea how to function without constant attention or entertainment. Start with small periods of time and you will have kids like mine who will read, play games and do crafts for hours without interruption.

Outings are fun, educational and great motivators. Most libraries have a story time. The zoo, children,s museum and park are great places to take kids. We had memberships so we could go anytime. I would often use them to motivate the kids. "We will have time to go to the zoo tomorrow if the playroom gets picked up before bath time tonight."

Good luck. Preschool age is my favorite. So curious, sweet and fun. Enjoy !