You are here

What do we call each other?

pleasenodrama's picture

I have been with my sig other for 13 years. Have lived with him for 6 years. We bought each other engagement rings 5 years ago, with no wedding planned. (thought we may/might marry someday). All the kids generally say stepdad stepmom, when introducing us.So we were BF/GF for a while, when we moved in, we became Fiance's, now what? I don't feel like we are that now?

Jsmom's picture

If you have been together this long, why not just get married. I think you are common law now anyway.

pleasenodrama's picture

My state does not acknowledge common law. But We have lived together 6 years. 7, I believe is the magical number in some states. To much drama with adult stepchildren and my 17 yr old and him at home to get married. It never ends and why legally tie myself into it all? The steps would end up disliking me even more as well. I wanted to get married years ago, but now I really don't want to. So again, what do I all him?

pleasenodrama's picture

Wow. Sorry to hear that Stepaside. That is awful. I guess I should be grateful they do call me that. Most of his kids have little ones, so I am called Grandma..probably just to not confuse them. But the oldest grandkid asked me why me and her grandpa wasn't married. UGH. (Not sure how she would ever have known....) I think at mid 40's Dad's girlfriend sounds too youthful?

stopandchat's picture

Frankly, I don't want my SS to call me anything but my name. I would be totally comfortable with "my dad's wife." That's who I am.

pleasenodrama's picture

Yes, I think you are right Blendedfam on the title of fiance! Ok, guess I can just refer to him as my other half, significant other, or boyfriend?

pleasenodrama's picture

Maux, I am content in receiving invites with his last name. Smile If I wanted to be married, i would have pushed it 10 years ago when I really wanted to, But he did not. Now, tables are turned. I know I don't want to leave him, because he genuinely is a nice guy with issues. What man doesn't have them. I know he doesn't want to be without me either. I just can't take that final step, right now...

I am confused's picture

I lived with my exGF for 9 years. She used to call me "baby". Now she just calls me "asshole". When speaking with others I referred to her as "my caretaker" and she referred to me as "the wallet".

Rags's picture

I think at year 7 you become married by common law. Soon it will be an easy question to answer.

Best regards.

startingover2010's picture

i was with my ex for 5yrs, and we used all sorts of names for each other; fiance, bf/gf/, wife, hubby. well, the last one our families did this probably just cause we were together a long time, and even planned a few marriages lol. we set a date almost yearly when we hit a good spot in our relationship.

pleasenodrama's picture

Thank you all. I guess I am still not in that comfortable spot just yet to tie the knot again....

forestfairy's picture

I say bf, but lots of people use SO or partner now...especially those with no plans of marrying.