You are here

What are your “rules” for screen time/Video games

SunlovingSM's picture

Would like to see how everyone’s take on a few things. This goes for school age kids. 

Video games-How much time a day do you allow SKs or bio kids to play? Either on their phone, computer or TV. Weekday vs weekend?

Tv/movies- do you limit how much TV the kids watch? If you do limit TV Do you count if you watch with them like a family movie vs watching by themselves?

fourbrats's picture

but we do set boundaries. The kids (adults and teens now) were always active, friendly honor students so once their chores, homework, and other responsibilities were complete their time was their own (same for the teens now) up until bedtime. They could play a video game, a board game, read, watch TV, listen to music etc. These have been the rules since they were young and it works for us. 

elkclan's picture

Generally speaking, we don't allow screen time during the bulk of the day. They have it in the morning. We do other stuff and then they can screen in the evening if we're not doing something else. We don't watch family movies together often - maybe once a year. 

When my SO's kids are not here I'm probably too lax on the after school screen time with my BS. This is changing this school year. 

oatsnhoney's picture

My rules for my DS. iPad 2 hours in the morning on weekends. Then off. No TV/movie until evening (every night family movie usually happens but works out to about 1 hour. Bedtime routine start means tv off). These are privileges, if he doesn’t behave he loses them. We play music during the day.

skids when they were younger I did no gadgets after lunch. Tv after dinner. Their BM buys them every gadget known to man plus TVs in their room. No limits. No bedtime.

They are now gadget robots thanks to BZm. So now for my house since I have DS, I just say to skids no gadgets after 11ish. Or if you want to stare at your gadget go do it in your room. It’s not fair for DS to see them doing that ALL day. It’s a constant stress here because every day they come I or DH must remind them. I hate it. 

TogetherForever89's picture

TV is allowed during the week after all homework/chores are finished. This is for SS10.

Usually during the week, DS2 doesn't get electronics or TV until the afternoon. He either has school or an activity in the morning, or just play and run errands.

GirlfriendMom's picture

She's pretty good at self regulation when it comes to the tablet so I let her use it whenever. She's not home most of the day mon-fri anyway so she uses it maybe 1 hour a day. 

Weekends are different. She uses her tablet to entertain herself so we can sleep in and there is only so many times I can play "pretend I'm a cat!!". Haha. I'm more lax then.

Cooooookies's picture

During school nights, I lock all of SS16's remotes of all sorts in my room.  He isn't allowed any screens and must study or read.  Used to do it DH's way with no limits but (surprise, surprise!) SS was failing/near failing all of his classes.  Weekends are unlimited, which annoy me but, I'm choosing my battles.