You are here

At what age did you get your kids involved in teams sports?

PeanutandSons's picture

I want to sign bs3 up for a class, or maybe two. But I have a few questions, some step related some not.

First, what age did you start getting your kids involved in organized sports? I was thinking soccer this fall. I don't want to push him to early if that's too young to expect him to grasp the game.

Do you think at only 3 I should limit him to only one activity at a time?

How do I phrase this to Dh that I am going to sign BS up for a class, but I have no intention of signing up the skids?.... When they were small I had them signed up for a bunch of stuff. Soccer, gymnastics, basketball, judo, swimming lessons (not all at once, obviously. But from ages 4-6 I tried to do for them as I would do for my own child. My every Saturday was devoted to them. And it was awful. They were difficult to get ready, they did nothing but complain the whole time, and Dh never even came to watch. The skids like the idea of doing sports, but in reality they bitched and moaned the whole time. They liked snack time and the trophy at the end. So I stopped signing them up for stuff.

My incination is to say to him..... I am taking my son to do soccer, they had their turn when they were little, now its Bs's turn.

But my fear is that he then goes and just signs them up for shit to make it even and we really can't afford that. He's the kind of person that spends his money on what he wants and then tries to see what's left for bills, esp where the skids we concerned. I've just gotten him into a more thrifty state of mind (sort of) and I don't want to spark off a spending spree in retaliationo

But at the same time, my son deserves to have these oportunities, and I can afford to do for him while still staying in my budget. He's def far more stingy with our bs, he def doesn't get the same 'cost is no object anything for my life's attitude that the skids get.

How do you think I should handle this?

PeanutandSons's picture

That's was my other option, and I plan on signing him up for lessons soon. But he can only do that for a month or so before it gets too cold (outdoor pool). And they would have to be private lessons, since I work and can't get him to the group classes midweek, so I have to hire a private instructor for the weekend and its expensive. But I should have the money together in another week or two.

The soccer class at the Y starts in late september, so right about when it would be getting too chilly for the pool

BSgoinon's picture

We didn't start until they were about 5, but I almost wish I would have started younger. Depending on what they are interested in. Out here we have Mommy/ daddy and me soccer for the "atheltic kids" that just aren't old enough to play competitive yet. There are art classes, music, all kinds of ativities or sports for young ones.

Willow2010's picture

6-7ish

StickAFork's picture

4, I think. I can't imagine doing more than one activity with a toddler, though.

When does he turn 4? And they have soccer for 3 year olds??

PeanutandSons's picture

He turns four next April.

The soccer is for 3 and 4 year olds.

My bigger issue is how to aproach/deal with Dh though. I don't want this to turn into a huge family fight, but I want my son to have these experiances. I hate that I feel like I can't do for my son for fear of upseting the steps/dh, when all I want to do is the same things I did for them when they were this age.

smdh's picture

I can sign DS up for soccer baseball at 18 months around here. I won't because I think that is too soon and he can't follow more than one direction at a time so I am not sure how that even works, but it certainly is available to parents who choose organized activity over free play. I think free play is best for toddlers. While structure is important, the act of thinking and logical processes begins with free play.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

My stepkids started sports in kinder and they are now both college athletes. My son started gymnastics at age 3 and soccer and swim at age 4. I would suggest you start your son at a solo sport like swim or tumbling. At age 3 they really do not have a concept of positional/team play.

Willow2010's picture

Good so no chance they could be on the same team.

I would just tell DH that you only have time for one kid activity at a time. And you really want to sign up DS since you had a good time watching the skids at that age. Also tell him that if the skids want to play, HE can do it and be responsible for the transportation ect.

I could see this being a problem if they were closer in age. But not 6-7 years apart.

PeanutandSons's picture

How should I bring this up to Dh though? Should I talk to him about it first? Or just do it and then tell him?

Willow2010's picture

I think I would talk to him first. NOT TO ASK PERMISSION! But to just tell him that you are thinking about signing up DH because you enjoyed watching the skids so much at that age. (try not to laugh)

Then tell him that if you do out him in sports...you are only going to sign BS up for one sport because you just cannot commit to getting him to more than one activity at a time. That way he knows your time will be with BS and not anything else.

Just leave it like you are thinking about it. Then go sign BS up and tell DH later. That way he can't say you did it behind his back.

PeanutandSons's picture

Ok, now I am thinking swimming while its warm and then tumbling/gymnastics once it gets cold this year.... And save team sports for a year or two.

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

I am a soccer coach and have coached from ages 4 to Club U-17 teams. It is torture trying to Coach 4-5 year olds that do not understand positional play. It is 8 kids chasing the ball shouting "me, me, me, me, me, me" LOL.