You are here

Wedding and honeymoon photos- I don't want child taking them home

Mummyto1's picture

We got married last weekend. Finally after 8yrs together. We decided on a family honeymoon with our children. Hubby wants to send his son home with photos from our honeymoon and wedding however I don't want them going at all. Some personal things should just not go to the other house. Especially wedding related stuff that's so personal to us as a couple and family. What are your thoughts and opinions? 

notasm3's picture

I say no for a different reason.  It's kind of an "in your face" move to your SS's BM.   I am sure she does not want your wedding pictures in her home.

oneoffour's picture

Let him take a photo of DH and SS only. BM does not need a photo of your wedding or honeymoon in her house. Is DH still so keen on pissing off his ex? And as one NZer to another... KIa Ora!

Survivingstephell's picture

I'm of the other side of the coin.  I say let him take a picture of the wedding party/ group shot with bride, groom, all the kids together.  You must have one of those.  Send that one.  In a nice frame 5x7 size that says family on it so SS can keep it in his room.  It will send the point like no other that DH has moved on.  

I wish I would have done that.  *diablo* 

Dovina's picture

I have read so many times on here that if a step wants a photo of BM in their room, this should be ok with the SM....sooooo it can work both ways. Its all about the steppies comfort Wink

Disneyfan's picture

BUT, the kid isn't making the request.  The OP's husband wants to send the picture to his exwife's house.

Why would a newlywed want to do that?  

Dovina's picture

as to why a newlywed would want to do that.

My response was a general observation about photos between households.

Harry's picture

was SS on the honeymoon ??? 

Dontfeedthetrolls's picture

Does the kid want to take them back to mom's? If the child wants them then I'd make up a cheap little photo album. It’s understandable that they want copies of those memories.

twoviewpoints's picture

congrats on the recent wedding.

Family honeymoon?  I suppose if it works for you and your DH, great. Me? I would have left your little with a grandparent and your DH's son with BM or whatever maternal family on that side that desired to watch him. I assume you did a destination wedding and therefore all the kids were present for that and the event carried on into the honeymoon though? 

Anyway, as to the photos. Has SS asked to have some copies to take to his home with BM? Are there photos that are event neutral (like him on a beach, him in wedding garb, perhaps him and his little brother collecting seashells)? If SS is wanting to take some, a few of the kind I gave as examples are the type I would be willing to have some extra copies made of and send. Not a ridiculous amount. Not event specific. 

Of course SS can have photos of everything , but kept in a photo book at Dad's. He can look at them whenever he pleases in your home. He can save them and share memories with his little brother when they are grown old men if it makes them happy.... but there is no need to push the photos off to BM's. 

I know nothing about the child's BM. Maybe she is ok with her son having photos of Dad's home/life in SS's bedroom at home. Maybe she is not. I would not send any if it meant it would make trouble with BM at BM's. Did SS take any photos on the trip on his own? Landscape/scenery type generic shots? Some of those would be (IMO) ok to share between homes.

Would I send photos of your actual wedding (bride n groom, group wedding shots and the like) ? No. I'd have no issue with one such as someone helping final dressing touches if SS was in wedding (him all dressed up). He could share how 'good looking' he was with his other relatives on BM's side (though most 11yr olds I know that type of thing embarrasses them to pieces *shrugs*). 

However, if you don't wish to share any photos. None at all to be taken to BM's, don't. The child visits his father's home often enough the kid can have and keep some there. 

still learning's picture

I would not want BM having any photos of me in her home, I'd be scared of her doing some weird voo doo on them >:-)   As for photos of just ss or ss and his dad that should be fine. Someone suggested making ss a small photo album to bring home, that's a great suggestion because then you get to choose which pictures he takes home.  

My kids have a shelf in their room w/framed photos of them, their cousins, paternal grandparents and exH. It's their family and I have no problem with it and barely notice them. 

In the book "The art of war" there is a quote about leaving a weak spot open for the enemy. If you shut all entrances to them then they will constantly attack everywhere but if one window is open you know where to expect them.  Letting ss bring home a few photos allows a small window to be open into your family you'll be the one to control what "the enemy" sees.  

Thumper's picture

OK----when my ex got remarried. Of course there were pics.

It's not a big deal to me whether or not our bio's had them or not.

Sooooooo if dh wants to send a group pic OR dad and kid pic OR dad and sm pic I say send them.

BUT if you are not ok with it...then dh should respect your wishes.

It's not about BM's fee fee's....she is a grown up and IF the child and you are ok with it...Hopefully she will say "OH it must have been a wonderful day for your dad and SM"

ldvilen's picture

"t's not about BM's fee fee's....she is a grown up and IF the child and you are ok with it...Hopefully she will say 'OH it must have been a wonderful day for your dad and SM."  Yes, that is ideally what should happen. I guess I'd have to say that with buckets and buckets of people out there who are always judging SPs based on what they feel an ideal SP should be, even tho. they have zero experience themselves as a SP, then I see nothing wrong with judging or assuming BM should act in a reasonable, strictly adult-like, I-have-no-problem-moving-on type manner as well, and thus, have no problem with pictures of her ex- and his wife and his son around her home or in her son's possession.

Maxwell09's picture

I would let the kid have a pic of him with his dad and maybe siblings. An album ( being dramatic but really anything more than one) is really unnecessary

Rags's picture

The SKid can keep those photos at home.... YOUR home.

BM has no business seeing them and those photos have no business being in BM's home.  

If DH is hell bent on giving the SKid a set, keep them until the kid launches then give him his set of pics.

smh