You are here

Venting...Would this piss you off????

Lynncoly86's picture

BD gets SS every other weekend and two days a week PLUS two weeks vacation whenever we want. For the last 5 years My husband and I take SS to Disney during his spring break from school. This is our "family" vacation. During the summer we take a week with SS also BUT we both work and he goes to camp but he spends the full week with us. This has been going on like this since BD and BM divorced. Last march my husband told BM when our summer vacation was going to be and as usual SS would need daycare since we would be working. No comment from BM so we thought we were all set. As our vacation got closer July 23rd we had not heard from BM where SS was going to be that week for care so he called her and she never got back to him till a week before a vacation. Her response was she did not sign him up for care and if we wanted care we would have to do it AND pay for it or stay home with him. WHAT?! She signed him up for camp every week except for the week of our vacation. Nothing like dropping this on us last minute. Well there was no way we could stay home for a whole week such short noticed and the only camps available were really expensive ones. We have no family close by to help out. So BD decided to leave SS who is 11years home alone for 6 hours when we went to work. Well when BM found out what we were going to do she flipped a nut and called yelling saying SS was WAY to young to be left alone and if anything happened she would sue us, call the police for child abandonment ect. BM also worked over SS and he started pissing and complaining he did not want to be left alone as he will be "bored". Yes she's a real you know what. BM basically wants BD to use up all his work vacation time taking care of SS so he has none left over to go away with me. She HATES when he takes time with me. She feels if he has "extra" vacation time he should be using it to help her take care of SS. Long story short what the Step brat wants step brat gets and  BD has NO BALLS and caved into BM's threats and took the week off to stay with SS. The week was awful!.SS was up till all hours playing video games, yelling, running up and down the stairs and I had to get up at 5am for work. I can BARELY deal with SS for a weekend but a full week was enough to make me jump off a bridge.  Of course he sleep in till 11am every day. My husband and I had vacation plans for next month and he's already starting with the "guilt trip" to get out of it  because taking time off with this brat will leave him short on vacation time. The fact BM got away with it this year I know she's going to pull this crap next year. How would be a better way to handle this? Would this have pissed you off?

beebeel's picture

Dad needs to figure out care for his kid during his time. Yes, the late notice by BM would piss me off. That's why we never left anything up to bm during our time. 

StepUltimate's picture

... at our house was Never make plans BM can sabotage.

It's what they live for. Sucks but true, but now that SS is 18, totally diffused. Such a relief!

Sorry you are going through this.

justmakingthebest's picture

WHOA! What are the laws in your state? Is he over the minimum age? If he is I would have called BM on the bullshit and sent her an email showing what the minimum age is for being left alone and stated that as his father I felt he was old enough and responsible enough to be home for 6 hours a day. He has food, he has a phone for emergencies. He is good. 

Especially since she refused to communicate earlier so you could prepare. Call her bluff! I think too many people cower to BM's! She doesn't get a say as long as you are not breaking the law. 

FedupAJ's picture

I would be livid! at the BM but also BF. It sucks but he should have confirmed earlier with BM. And made sure that she had him signed up for camp/care etc. Just a suggestion...make sure next time he keeps texting and asking and after awhile if she doesn't answer say that since she isn't replying you are taking it that she has planned care and that if she needs him to do it then she needs to let him know ASAP (by certain date) otherwise she is responsible.  At least that will be recorded for court matters.  &  Maybe next year BF can be involved in arranging the camp/care and just make sure that it is booked.  Nothing you can do about the past :(  I feel your pain and frustration though. 

ndc's picture

It's your husband's responsibility to arrange daycare during his time, not the BM's.  Now, it would have been nice of her to be cooperative and arrange it since she was arranging the rest of the summer (and appears to have done so in the past), and it was downright uncooperative of her to not respond to your husband.  She essentially blindsided him by changing the status quo and not communicating, which was a total bit*h move.  At least now you know what you're dealing with for the future.

Out of curiosity, if you have SS EOWE plus two days a week, didn't your husband know where he was going to camp?  I'm not sure if when you say 2 days a week you mean overnights or just the days (my SO has EOWE plus 2 overnights, which is essentially a 5-2-2-5 50/50 schedule).  With that much involvement, I'm surprised he didn't know the camp arrangements, which would make it possible for him to contact them directly.  I understand why he didn't, since the BM has taken care of it in the past, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Lynncoly86's picture

My husband pays for medical expenses and BM pays for daycare. Its part of their agreement. We are fine with her NOT signing him up for camp, it would have been nice for her to tell us sooner but whatever. The real problem is we found a solution, SS stays home alone, that worked for us BUT BM interfered and made a stink. She refused to help us out but also refused to except our solution. Again this has been a on going problem with my husband's work vacation time. She knows how much he gets and thinks he should spend all of it taking care of JR instead of going away with me.

TrueNorth77's picture

BM called the cops on us twice when we left skids home alone for an HOUR. SS was 11 and SD was 8. SS is mature.Cops came and talked to us only to tell us there is no minimum age law in our state so there is absolutely nothing they can do about it, and the Officer even told us that SS is very mature for his age and didn't see the problem. She got nowhere. Nice try BM.

Bruniesmom's picture

My girls are 11yrs and 8yrs, (Both bdays in September.) They stay by themselves when I have to go to work. They know the rules; don't go in the living room (picture window to outside), don't anwer the door, if they need to call me, they facetime (no landline). They are very responsible, and they have a few chores that they have to do before I get home (or DH), but otherwise, as long as they follow the rules, do what you want.

My SS20, when he was younger (cough15-16cough) couldn't be left by himself. It's no wonder he's having trouble at college, no real coping skills.

Lynncoly86's picture

is responsible for paying and setting up care. Ok we are fine with that. He is the blame for that BUT is it ok for BM to tell him and threaten him on his parenting time that he can NOT leave SS alone???? Is it ok for BM to tell SS "dad can't leave you alone" and get SS to make a stink and not want to stay alone???

Aniki-Moderator's picture

What are your state laws? It varies from state to state. Some have NO age restriction. Others may not allow a child to be home alone until the age of 14.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

BM has no leg to stand on.

But an 11yo... 6 hours alone is too long. Again, I suggest your DH hires a babysitter. 

over the rainbow's picture

I personally don't care about any minimum age law, I wouldn't want my daughter left home alone for six hours at the age of 11... Or even two hours. When she's 13 maybe. The mother should have told your husband sooner that she wasn't booking or paying for childcare so you could sort something out... I take care of childcare all year round, except on her dad's time... In which case he sorts it... Or asks if he needs eusuppo.

Livingoutloud's picture

11 year old shouldn’t be home all day or part of a day if parents are at work. Yes it’s ok to tell the other parent that kid can’t be home alone. My house was robbed and luckily DD wasn’t home but I kniw someone who had house burglarized and their two minor kids were home alone. Kids were tied up to a chair  in the basement etc 

If dad can’t or won’t provide  child care then he should have left SS with BM 

its totally crazy dad expected BM to take care of business on his custody time 

elkclan's picture

My son is 11 - he does really, really well on his own. He has been left for a time on many occasions. He walks home from school and lets himself in and I come back from work - usually I try to only be an hour or work from home those days so I am there when he gets there, but this can't always happen. He looks after himself and does not break rules. If I had to in AN EMERGENCY leave him for six hours, I believe he would be fine. There is no way no how that I would let him be on his own for 6 hours a day for a whole week in the summer. It's not fair to him. It's not good for him. And if I found out my ex was doing that, I would blow a gasket. If you're not on the breadline where you both have to be working to keep body and soul together, I'd understand leaving him. Sometimes needs must. But if dad has vacation time or you have any money to spare for childcare, no freaking way. 

Anyway, lesson learned. Personally, you've been lucky BM is picking up the tab on childcare for that week for however long she's been doing it. Yes, she should have said "I'm not booking it this week." But you don't know for sure she didn't or that there weren't conversations in years past. 

Funnily enough, in my case it's my partner - the stepdad -  who gets the most worked up about BS being on his own, even though he knows he's fine. My partner has come home from work early (he can work at home) to be there for him when he gets back from school when he knows I can't. If it's longer than an hour and a half, I either swap days with my ex or ask my partner to look after him - if he can. But my partner doesn't like him alone longer than an hour. He doesn't like to leave his kids alone longer than 30-40 minutes. But then again, his youngest is only 9 and 2 or three boys on their own....not such a good idea.