You are here

Vent

msg1986's picture

So FDH had to work today and I'm here watching FSS4 I don't mind watching him but he is the pickiest kid I have ever encountered. When FDH and I got together it was very clear that everyone catered to this child, preparing separate meals, stopping at McDonald's before outings to restaurants bc he "won't" eat there, bargaining with the child as far as much to eat on his plate... Madness!!!

Welllllll since we've moved into our home I've slowly been trying to hint to FDH that this isn't normal to cater to a child. He finally opened his eyes last week when we were eating pasta and I refused to make a seperate meal for FSS4 when he started crying hysterically and shouted "daddy if you make me eat this I WON'T come live with you!!!" I kind of looked him like "ha yeah, you just got punked by a 4yr old".

Anyhow, back to today, I'm watching FSS and he says he's hungry so I make him lunch, and he comes to the table and begins to cry saying what I made is not his favorite and he won't eat it. Now he is in bed now screaming his head off until FDH gets home because from here forward you don't eat your food, you go to bed...

Aye aye aye....

imjustthemaid's picture

Do not cater to him. My BD4 is trying this out on me. Now she won't eat meat!! Give me a break! I don't give in to her but we have been going to war over food. My DD10 will eat anything even when she was very young she ate anything you put in front of her. BD4 is getting worse and worse.

My sister has twin boys that are now 10. She catered to them their entire lives. Now if they sleep at someone's house, my sister packs them special food because they won't eat normal food, they are used to being catered to! They are the most awful kids I have even seen in my life.

All this effort you are putting in will just be wasted because BM or DH probably don't want to hear him cry so they will just give the kid whatever he wants. He will never learn. He will just learn to hate you. Sucks!

msg1986's picture

Well his bm lives with her mother and at that house his "nana" doesn't allow that. Behavior, I honestly think it started with FMIL letting have/do anything he wanted when FDH moved in with her after the break up. So he has come to expect at daddys he calls the shots. I def don't want the kid to hate me but I'm not going bend over backwards just to give him his " favorite" foods.

needinginwardpeace's picture

I HATE, no HATE picky kids.
I was not picky, my parents weren't either.
My bios aren't picky, we as parents aren't either.

My skids are the pickiest eaters ever. Always have been. Their BioMother regularly sends back food at restaurants complaining about her order, and is a very very picky eater. Her list of foods that she won't eat has been put onto the skids.

Having said that, I make ONE meal and if they don't like it - so what. This was hard at first, when they were young and BM was uber-weird-picky, and wouldn't eat anything literally staring at lasagna or anything that wasn't McNuggets and Fries. I still made it, served it and didn't give a rat's a** what they thought.

Years later? They like my food and meals. *mostly*. BM still has her list of 'no no foods' branded into their heads (really normal foods that she just won't eat, not for health, but because she's a psycho) and picky tastes.

McDonald's - something the BioMother and her puppet, er husband, had the skids eat several times a week. My bios?- they have no idea what the golden arches are. No joke. And they are of the age where most kids would absolutely know. Mine, do not. We just do not eat there. You don't *have* to eat fast food just because it exists.

My DH used to make a separate meal for the skids if they didn't like the dinner when they were younger, because that is what BM did and what he did when they were married - they catered to pickiness. It took a few conversations with him to get him to see how unhealthy this was. He is all aboard my way of thinking now and is even worse than me.

Every single kid I've ever met or had over here has a picky parent. It's from the parents. Period. I had a kid here once for a birthday who didn't like about 100 things, 2 of those being sauce and pizza (what kid doesn't like pizza?) - her mother is a very picky adult - and so I ended up having to make this girl chicken noodle soup during a birthday party and she ate it while the others all had pizza. Anyways, the next time? No soup for you! haha. - she ended up eating the pizza she was so hungry. Same kid went on a trip with us. Rule? Kid, you eat what's given to you. She pushed it around and eventually ate it.

Kids will eat when they are hungry. It's true.

Persevere (or make your DH do it - it's his kid, although he will cater to the skid anyway which will drive you mental later) - but do not cater to the kid. It will make it WORSE. Trust me.

needinginwardpeace's picture

SO TRUE.

Each time I've eaten it (not much as an adult, more in my teens) I felt sick 15 mins later.

McDonald's makes you feel ILL, no matter what you eat.