You are here

Vacation guilt?

caitlinj's picture

I’m going to Cancun this summer for a friend of mines wedding. I’m staying for a week. I invited my boyfriend to go but he declined saying he cannot go. He has two kids. I understand this. He keeps making remarks like “you’ll have more fun without me” “I bet you’re going to wear a sexy swimsuit” and “it’ll be a good test for us that you’re going” I’ve asked him what he means by these comments and he says he doesn’t want to talk about it or he’s just joking. Odd thing is he’s gone out of town twice without even inviting me. Once by himself to see a friend of us who lives out of state whom I’ve never met. The other with his kids out of state to do some fun thing I was never invited to go and I was ok with that. However at least I invited him and told him I’d love for him to go. Should I rethink my trip? I figure he will be mad that I’m going but but won’t express it and will get me back. What shoul I do?

ndc's picture

I'd rethink the relationship before I rethought the vacation or changed anything I was planning to do. You invited him; he declined. That's not your problem (except to the extent it shows you're not a priority). Go and have fun without him.

hereiam's picture

I would absolutely not rethink the trip. I would, however, rethink this relationship.

Harry's picture

why doesn’t want to go with you ???   This is perfect adult time, you two can spend together Cancun.

Think of all the  adult activities you could be doing. And he doesn’t want to go, and does not really want you to go. 

Something wrong with him.  He should find a sitter and go 

Blue Moon's picture

I think this is the same guy who was hinting that she should help him with money (or I may be wrong?). If that is the case, he doesn't have enough disposable income to go to Cancun.

Merry's picture

My ExH did this all the time. He'd tell me he didn't want to do whatever it was that I was doing, and then he'd be mad that I didn't change my plans. Immature, angry, jerk and it took me way too long to catch on.

Do not change your plans. That you are even THINKING about it is a big concern. You invited him, he declined. If he's insecure now, that's on him. Do not fall into this silly trap of making sure HE is happy while you sacrifice your own happiness.

RST's picture

Based on your recent posts I'd suggest you go to Cancun, kick your heels up and have a thoroughly fabulous holiday without giving this man a second thought.  If you're already thinking he'll 'get you back' what future do you have anyway, is it going to be like this every time you'd like to do something without him?!

caitlinj's picture

He can not afford to go and also doesn’t want to leave his kids which I understand. However it’s my best friends wedding and it’s in Cancun. I feel I’ll never get this opportunity again. I have never been and it supposed to be gorgeous. I invited him and told him I’d love for him to go and I’ll miss him and he always welcome. That is all I can do.