You are here

UK holidays

Lifer33's picture

Do any uk parents know the answer please ....

If bm is planning to take ss out of school in term time, does dh just write to the school in advance and say he doesn't give permission? Or the local authority

We aren't being cats here. We all took the children out of school last year and the schools let us off due to covid. This year the local authority has said anything over 5 days BOTH parents will be fined. 

So dh wrote to bm requesting 2.5 spare days each. She ignored him and continues to. But by the same token she's already bragged that she's taking ss to America and Canada in Feb. So unless she owns concorde that's unlikely to only be for a week.

We have planned our holidays in the breaks with him so we don't want or need fining for something we dnt agree to 

simifan's picture

Just a thought, in the US a parent can put a hold on a passport where the other parent cannot travel out of country without a letter of consent or a court order. In truth, I'm not sure how you could stop here from doing it in country. Make sure you notify her in writing you do not agree and will hold her responsible for any fines you incur as well as legal fees. It seems ridiculous that both parents get charged when you have no power. 

Lifer33's picture

In the UK with joint parental, nobody bats an eyelid, think its 14 or 28 days a child can go away with 1 parent. It's so annoying she hasn't answered,  even if she wants the full 5 days and agree to pay both fines. I says if she does it stop that weeks cms but then dh would just get in trouble 

strugglingSM's picture

Schools don't typically like to get involved in conflicts between the parents, but if he would be fined, it might be worth figuring out who you need to contact to let them know he does not give permission for the trip. Could you reach out to the person at the local authority who monitors absences and issues fines to ask them what they would recommend? 

Lifer33's picture

I might do that and i say I , as dh will  moan and do nothing about it.

Bm has definitely gone radio silent , and no idea why other than she probably was intending to take him out of school.  She alluded to the fact she just calls him in sick,  when we took him to Mexico last year. We would never do that as to me it's crying wolf and someone's bound to break a leg and be stuck in a foreign country for weeks. Plus when you're slapping your whereabouts all over socials it doesn't really wash hey.

We have ensured that next year ss will not be missing any school for holidays with us so I'll be damned if we are paying a fine for anything her end. It would be helpful if she'd at least clarify she's Willing to do so. As the la know both home addresses and its an automatic fine to each 

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

If she has parental responsibility there is nothing you can do about it. 
- you are adding stress to your life worrying about it. 

It will resolve itself if she does get fined and not at your expense. 

Powerfamily's picture

Writing to the school unfortunatly will do nothing.

Your DH could get a fine as the government now fines both parents whether or not  he agrees with the holiday or not.

Also this is nothing to do with the childrens school but the local authority, all school do is report absences to the local officer.