You are here

Ugh, just got some HORRIBLE news...

boogeymom's picture

Apparently my in-laws want to take my DH, two Skids, and myself to Moab for Thanksgiving this year. Holy. Shit. My co-worker and friend was like, "Oh, dude, that's not a vacation, that's like never leaving work." (We're teachers.) She suggested I just somehow get "lost in a crevasse" or something like that during a hike and miraculously show up around dinner time. I told DH that I was going to pull a "127 Hours" and get my hand lodged under a boulder, then have to sever my own arm after a few days. He laughed. I've never been on vacation with either my in-laws OR my Skids for a reason. I like my in-laws, but mostly in 4-6 hour doses...but 4 days? I knew eventually the day would come when we'd have to go on vacay with the Skids, but I was really hoping to put it off for a long time. It's going to be 4 days of my Skids (SS's 11 and 9, who will be 12 and 10 by that time, both with ADHD) acting like total a-holes and being super annoying, and my in-laws treating them like babies. Plus my parents kind of wanted to see us for Thanksgiving this year, but whatevs, if I don't go I'll be the bitch again. Now, I love Moab, so this is a toughie for me because I really want to go to, and my F-I-L knows some great 4 wheeling trails...but SS11 supposedly gets motion sickness so that is going to f-ing suck. Did I mention the part about having to drive there from Denver...so pretty much nothing but winding mountain roads the majority of the time. They can ride with my in-laws as I can barely tolerate them in the same vehicle as me from our house to the grocery store, much less for 6 hours, and oldest Skid will do nothing but complain the entire time, I guarantee it. He's already said he's been in a car for 6 hours before and didn't like it at all. He might get put out of the truck right around Vail. Also, when we get there, they will inevitably complain about all the hiking we're going to be doing in Canyonlands and Arches because they're likely not used to this type of physical activity since I'm pretty sure gym has been cut from their curriculum and God knows they don't exercise when they're with their mother. This will cause my F-I-L to get uptight since he's in supremely good shape, not even just for his age, but period, so I have a feeling F-I-L and I will be hiking well ahead of the rest of the group. As long as we don't talk about politics (which he'll bring up) it'll be fine. Also, both my F-I-L and DH will complain about the price of everything the whole time. EVERYTHING. *sigh* Crap this is gonna suck.

boogeymom's picture

You're lucky to have only had a summer of behavioral problems, it's a constant for us. I pretty much do the opposite of dote on them...ever seen "Full Metal Jacket?" That drill sergeant is me. "What is your major malfunction?!?" But really you're right, I think I'll really try to just let it go because we're outnumbered (since DH is in my corner, but that still leaves the 4 of them), and maybe just try to bring some flesh-colored ear plugs with me since my only problem with Skids really comes from their mouths, either in the form of excessive chatter, which my in-laws feel the need to validate for some reason, verbal diarrhea, or fighting with each other. They definitely show out much worse when in-laws are present because they love to get the attention from their coddling. SS11 still asks my in-laws to cut his food for him. These are the things I will have to ignore in order to have a good time, but somehow I will detach and I will do it! What I'm REALLY hoping for is that the entire town of Moab will already be booked up for the holiday and we won't be able to go at all.

Eyes Wide Open's picture

LOL! I cannot even imagine a vacation with the skids, much less the inlaws! I'd be drinking mocha latte voda valliums! Good Luck!!!!

Kay2's picture

MP3 Player, if you don't have one buy one, load it up with all your favorite music. When the skids or the in-laws become too much, pop in your ear buds and tune them out. I seem to have to do that on a trip to the store with my SD. Dirol

boogeymom's picture

Oh I can't live without iPod, I'm sure it'll come along with us. Mocha latte valiums sound good, too. Or lots of cannabis. There's still hope because the trip hasn't been booked yet, so I'm hoping no one will have any availability. After that, there will STILL be hope that maybe once Thanksgiving weekend comes, there will be a giant blizzard, and we won't be able to go after all. It IS Colorado we live in... On the bright side, if this trip goes really badly, DH will NEVER want to go on vacation with the Skids AGAIN, and I'll be the winner for the long-term. Also on the bright side, their irritating voices will scare away any dangerous wildlife that might be still lingering before hibernation time.

caregiver1127's picture

We are finally going on our first vacation in 7 years without SS17 and I can't freaking wait!!! We see him 4 weeks of the year and when we see him he is all over DH and I understand it but I would like to have my DH sometimes when we are away - I have DH's father living full time with us - so DH and I never have a day that one or the other is not around - so we are going to Mexico for a week just me, DH and our DD5 and I can't wait!!!

Lizz's picture

I am starting to feel a little better about my situation. Right before you leave tell him you are having severe diarrhea and there is no way you can go.

SeeYouNever's picture

The trip itself sounds awesome but the company... I will trade you spots if I can stock up on edibles in Denver before. 

Rags's picture

I have nothing but sorrow for you on this.

As much as I love Moab, this has nightmare written all over it.

CLove's picture

Moab might be a little different?

Kerrywho's picture

Get drunk, be drunk the whole time. Your liver will recover, your mind won't if you have to face this sober 

You sound like me in terms of how I felt about EXSS. I was the take no shyt, it's my way or get your ass in your room, your son is not cute, just annoying as all hell type of step mom 

I was invited to quite a few horrific in law/kid vacas and one time when I was asked to go, I audibly said, "sounds horrible". I would lose my shyt. The whiney kid voices/screams, the kid centric activites, the grand parents being idiots letting the kids be assholes, the parents thinking their little brats are cute when I'm one step away from kicking them all in the face 

I'd rather drink a gallon of bleach or shoot myself in the eye with a nail gun

Alcohol will be your only friend...just disapear and go for drinks 

Best of luck xoxo