You are here

Tough Love from a Grandmother

LizzieA's picture

I know what I'm talking about, OK? I've had two bad marriages and my first DD was with a serial philanderer that I never married, TG.

It just makes me ache on here to see all the young women who are being abused by selfish men. Emotional abuse. Verbal abuse. Financial abuse. Users.

Then...the girls get knocked up! Like immediately, in between being chewed out and having to take care of uber-brats for the old man. :jawdrop:

Let me share my hard-won advice:

1) the man needs to serve you, not the other way around
2) you can't rescue a man or his children
3) if your gut says "this is wrong" LISTEN
4) stay on birth control until you are certain it's going to work
5) minimizing, deflecting, blaming, shaming, berating, badgering, withholding, ignoring--all are signs of abuse
6) so is name-calling, and that is NOT normal fighting, EVER

and most important:

7) you are a loving, caring and thoughtful person. You DESERVE that too. Look in the mirror every day and repeat: I am a worthwhile person. I deserve the respect and love I give others!
Dirol you WILL find another man to love--I know once you're abused you start believing that no one else will want you--THAT'S A BIG FAT LIE!!

If this rant saves one young woman from years of an abusive marriage or relationship, then I will be very happy!!

Stepcop's picture

I agree. Be happy alone, and you wil attract positive people to your life. You have to love yourself enough not to be someone's slave or doormat! Very well sad!