You are here

Off topic: Anyone get the COVID vaccine yet?

Rags's picture

I am scheduled for my first round on Sunday the 14th.  I am group 1B.  

Just wondering.

A very good friend of ours is a huge conspiracy theororist kinda person who refuses to get the Moderna vaccine because it is an evil plot by Bill Gates to genetically modify and sterilize humanity.

smh

I am Mr. Vaccine.  Heck, if I could, I would get all of the various COVID vaccines.

I hope all of the STalkers are healthy and safe.

Take care folks.

Crspyew's picture

My mom, husband & son-in-law have all had 2nd dose.  Mom & DH just yesterday, all 3 have had mild side affects thus far.  I've had first dose, 2nd due early March.  Mom & DH received because of age, SIL & me through essential worker status.  All received Moderna.  I am a Covid & vaccine nerd due to my job.  I spend a lot of time trying to explain to folks that the pzifer & moderna vaccines do not change your DNA.  I have a weekly zoom cocktail hour with several friends and one has gone full bore anti-vaccine.  Last week she told me I put poison in my body......while sipping from a big old glass of wine.  I don't know how we change that mindset, and we need to to beat this.

Rags's picture

In Dec I had my 40th DX anniversary as a T-1 diabetic.  Growing up overseas I had every vaccnine immaginable.... regularly.  I have the small pox vaccine scar on my arm, and have had them all.

I am so perferated that If I drink too much water I am a sprinkler.   I have given myself  10's of thousandes of injections, finger sticks, etc... and that is not counting the ones perpetrated on my form by Medical professionals.

I am with you on the vaccine and our need to get ahead of this virus.  I have no doubt that it will either be added to the annual Flu vaccine or added as an annual vaccine of its own.

No doubt the anti-vaxers will stroke out as this continues to gain momentum.

One thing I will acknowledge is that the advent of modern medicine/vaccines/etc,,, has likely impacted the overall viability of the human genome.  Where I would never have lived long enough to procreate had I received my DX 78yrs earliers, in my life I could have fathered a number of genetically challenged spawn had I chosen to.  Long healthy life for those who would otherwise not have survived is certainly a wonderful thing. But....... It also likely has some negative impact on the overall health of humanity.

As for vaccines... sign me up... frequently.

JRI's picture

DH83 and I have been registered for a month but no vaccine yet.  My state's response is pathetic.

simifan's picture

I'm also 1B. I'm scheduled for next Sunday 2/21 with the Pfizer vaccine. We have our first clinic going on today where most of our clients are being vaccinated. I was involved in getting consent. I was suprised how many said yes without reservation 80 out of 82. Both No's from younger people (under 30). 

Rags's picture

Our provider vaccine clinic has both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.  They do not allow patients to choose. You get what you get.

Cookieboom's picture

I just had my second dose (Moderna) and had mild side effects; i.e. fatigue, body aches and my arm really sore.  They lasted only a few days, each day getting better (The worse day was the day after the dose).  I still was able to work. My XH had it and is diabetic and didn't have any bad side effects.

notarelative's picture

My state has done health care, those in congregant care, and one city (everyone eligible who lives and works there) and now doing the over 75. The first day over 75 was eligible I got on the computer when appointments were released. The sign up site was decent that it put you in a queue so you didn't have to keep logging on. Sign up took lots of info, but in an hour DH had an appointment for today and in a month to get the Moderna vaccine.

Now I wait for the next group under 75. The state website indicates in about three weeks as a lot of the over 75 have been vaccinated in nursing homes, assisted living, and high rises.

TX2step's picture

Both doses of Pfizer vaccine done. Still caring for the covid folks, at work today..

Stay safe stay well and stay home.

Rags's picture

I never registered but I tried.  I had a TeleMed appointment with my PCP on Feb 11.  I asked about the Vaccine during that appointment.  They said the vaccine was being adminsitered and managed by their vaccine center and there was no way to register. They indicated that their entire patient list would get the vaccine based on their category.  They did give the number for the vaccine clinic. I called and got scolded.  My clinit team said as a 1B I should have been called already.  Nope, basically I was told don't call us, we'll call you.  They said I would receive eiter an e-mail or text with my vaccine date and I would have to fill out an on-line questionaire.

I got that e-mail on the 12th.  Clicked the link completed the questionaire, and was given the full day's schedule in half hour increments to pick my slot for the 14th.

It really was simple.  Whether or not the 14th is simple... remains to be seen.

Thumper's picture

I have the small pox vaccine scar on my arm, and have had them all.

^^^ Me too Rags^^^ Smile

For me, I have never been  opposed to have vaccines for myself or the kids.  BUT  for some reason I am not running to OR standing in line for the Covid vaccine at this time.  Nor did I agree to the newer vaccine given to tweens and teens for the Papoliomavirus.

I have Doctors in the family. Yep they got their 1st and 2nd does with no reported problems.

My opinion is,  we should all make these medical decision's on our own based on the science. Certainly not be forced into it either.

*Remember not to have the injection on the arm/side you sleep on*---

Rags's picture

I get it.  Though I am all in regarding vaccines and life through a never ending series of needles,  it is not like I enjoy it.

I do understand the Human PV vaccine.  I was hesitant on that one myself though I was way older than the target age and in a long term marriage when it came out.  We did not have SS vaccinated for that one. Not that we avoided it, we just did not think about it.  He did get all of the various and sundry usual vaccines and the Flu vaccine every year.  I am sure the USAF keeps him well perferated with all of the vaccines he needs, and probably some he may not need,

I am a better safe than sorry erring on the side of vaccines guy.

Be safe and stay healthy.

notarelative's picture

I remember as a kid marveling at how small my small pox vaccine scar was compared to that of my aunts and mom. They stopped vaccinating for small pox sometime in the 1970s. My oldest born in 1970 was vaccinated. My youngest born in 1977 was not. 

Wilhelm's picture

Not released here in Australia yet but we are hoping to get some vaccination going soon.

Merry's picture

I have. No issues. A coworker, who I wouldn't put in the conspiracy group in a million years, said she won't get it because it alters genes, causes infertility, etc. 

No, that's not how mRNA works. I tried to show her that her information source is not reliable, and she wasn't having it. Made me sad. She works with scientists so doubly sad. 

Rags's picture

If mRNA derived meds caused genetic mutations I would be a three tailed seven headed lizard by now.  I have injected myself with mRNA juices tens of thousands of times over the years.

I had vaccine #1 (Pfizer) on Sunday AM.  No side effects at all other than a slightly sore injection site by bed time.  No discomfort at all by Monday AM.

Nada1984's picture

Just curious - why do you deem the scientists your friend works with us unreliable or not credible?

Rags's picture

I did not see where the friend claiming that the vaccine causes genetic mutations was indicated as working for scientists.

Nada1984's picture

I was replying to @merry's post above.  Seemed as if they were saying their friend believes something different than they do but they consider the friend's sources as not reliable. Merry went on to say the friend works with scientists, which is doubly sad - I assume merry is assuming these scientists agree with the friend and wonder why merry believes his/her sources are more credible than the friend and other scientists who disagree with the official narratives?  Idk, maybe I'm interpreting the post wrong? 

Merry's picture

Oh, no, let me explain a bit more. My friend (colleague) and I work with scientists in our job. Scientists from all disciplines. I doubt my friend has ever had a conversation with any of the said scientists about COVID. Most aren't COVID researchers anyway. So, no, I can say with confidence that the science community including the ones we work with do NOT agree with friend.

What I find sad is that my friend clearly supports the JOB of scientific research but hasn't really learned anything ABOUT science. Nor has she checked out facts independently, instead relying on her social network that supports rumors, half-truths, and outright lies.

WwCorgi7's picture

I have not received the vaccine yet. I am a little on the fence about it due to unpredictable, severe allergic reactions I have had in the past. I will get it eventually though. Husband is scheduled this week for his 1st vaccine. My FIL has already had both doses with no issues or side effects whatsoever. My friend got her second vaccine and was extremely ill for about 3 days. I guess it varies person to person.

Rags's picture

I had the  first Pfizer vaccine on Sunday AM.  By early evening I had some slight soreness at the injection site.  By Monday AM, I had zero discomfort.  

So far, the only evidence of the vaccine is the bandaid I just took off.  It did notf  eIy arm but... other than that... nothing.

Based on my experience so far, I highly recommend getting it done.

Vaccine #2 is scheduled for the afternoon of March 8th.  I will stay mostly sequestered until around the 22nd of March and even then, I will stick with social distancing, masks, hand washing, and hand sanitizer.  Though I will go out for meals, and with friends, interview in person, etc..... when possible.

I hope everyone is staying warm and safe during the blizzard/cold front.

We lost power at 0745 on Monday AM.   I had to hot wire our natural gas fire place.  The house stayed at 59-61*F with the fireplace on.  Power came back on at noon.  Now apparently parts of Houston are losing water.  Ours is on though the pressure is very low.  Both hot and cold are flowing.

Now to see if next couple of days of lows in the mid 20s causes more problems.

Stay warm everyone.

CLove's picture

And there is "talk" that I will be eligible soon, although I am no where near 75.

My boss, who is youngish, got his first round and today went to get his second. All three of us in the office are all pro-vaccine.

DPW's picture

We were told yesterday that we are in the top 10 for workers to be vaccinated. I'm on the fence, for now.... I also have severe, undiagnosed/unknown allergies that has hospitalized me in the past and it scares me to get the vaccine for fear of going through another round (years, in my case) of recovery. A lot of people pshaw at my position but they were not the ones experiencing their skin rip open all over their face and hands, amongst all the other "fun" side effects of an allergic reaction. Sorry for the gross detail. 

And, I'm trying to stay on top of all the research of vaccinations and allergic reactions but am so getting lost as the number of different vaccines increase, different medical directives for those with allergies being released from different bodies, etc.  

Rags's picture

Other than an autoimmune disease and environmental allergies I am healthy.  Which I suppose is an oximoron.  I have never had an allergic reaction to vaccines.  For me it was a non event. At lease the first dose.  Some have said the second had side effects that the first dose did not have.

Your medical history certainly would make me cautious abour the vaccine if I were you.

ESMOD's picture

My DH has gotten his first shot... the moderna (with jokes about the chip in the vaccine..haha).  He is a transportation worker so he got it via his employer.

My father is 91.. and we have yet been able to get him a vaccine.  We have tried hospitals.. health department.. writing legislators... logging on to CVS multiple times a day.. no luck.

I actually am eligible in 1b as well.. but no outlook on getting it either.

The "claim" by my state is that they have vaccinated 1 in 8 people with at least the first shot. (well, they gave a number but it works out to 1 in 8 people basically)  I honestly have to call BS on that.. there is no way that is true.  I only know one person "personally" who has gotten the vaccine.  I know of tons of people who can't get it.. .despite being in the 1a or 1b group... and the methods for getting on lists to get it have sucked to be quite frank.

Rags's picture

I understand your frustration with getting on the lists for the injection.  There was almost no guidance on how to get an appointment.  I registered with both of my local pharmacies ( so far neither has received any doses for use), I attempted to register with my PCP doctor (was told there was no way to register and don't call them they would call me), and I attempted to register with the county (the county vaccine registration web site will only work with a single web browser and was so busy that it locked up every time I attempted to register).

I had a TeleMed appointment with my PCP last Wednesday and during that appointment I asked about the vaccine.  Thew were surprised that I had not been contacted for a date.  I cajoled the numbers for the med group vaccine center out of them and called.  That was usless.  I connected with two different people and neither were useful in the least.  They both told me that all patients of the med group were in the database for the vaccine and would be contacted based on their group classification. CLICK!

The next day I got an email notifying me that my vaccine date would be Sunday.  I had to fill out an online questionairre at which point I could select a half hour window for my appointment time.

It really was seamless once I was contacted.  The lack of information leading up to the contact point was infurriating.

The management of this whole thing could be a whole lot better IMHO.  It is a mistery wrapped in a riddle and it does not have to be that way.

Livingoutloud's picture

Both I and DH got ours.

He is in a group 1a and I am in 1b, he is RN in a post-surgical unit in a local hospital-and they had several covid patients on his unit on and off. i don't know how he never got sick. I teach high school in person. Our district is the only one in the entire region that has been in person since the school year started, we weren't given an option,  our superintendent is covid denier lol we had very many kids and teachers sick and quarantined etc I don't know how I never got sick. We only were online one month in November per governor orfer but that was it. 

I still have to get my second dose in two weeks and DH got both awhile back, his was done early on.  

He got phiser and I got moderna and we both had similar reaction: fever and extreme fatigue the next day. We had to miss day off work as we were too sick to work and wouldn't be allowed in with fever. My dad got his first dose as well, he is also in group 1b, he is due to age and I am due to my line of work 

my dad loves conspiracies but surprisingly he was first in line to get vaccine. I am glad he did. He had no side effects at all 

TheAccidentalSM's picture

Hopefully I'll get mine by summer or at least that's what the papers here suggested today.  I can't wait.  I've had a reaction to the bird or swine flu vaccine which made me ill for 12 hours but that is not going to put me off.

The conspiracy theory about Bill Gates and the Government putting a chip in you just makes me laugh.  Seriously, why would they bother?  We all carry at least one smart phone around constantly, put huge amounts of information into social media, shop on line with cookies that follow us around after for days and don't get me started on Siri, Alexia etc.  The tech companies have all the data, they don't need to mess around vaccinating us.

shellpell's picture

My DH has had both shots (Pfizer) and now he can talk to Bill Gates through the injection site! It's pretty cool.

Harry's picture

I check most of those you died boxes. Dibeates, high blood pressure,   Vaccine can not be worst then getting covid 

Arm hurt if you touch the injection place.  So stop touching it 

queensway's picture

I am not eligible yet. But when I am I will get it!

relationshipguru's picture

I've already received both doses of the Pfizer vaccine. I had no side effects other than some arm pain, body aches and mild insomnia for a few days afterwards. People will say what they want to justify refusing to be vaccinated. Some of their reasons are absolutely ridiculous. That is their choice to refuse a vaccine however those are the same people who often get very sick from the virus when they contract it. I know a man who refuses to get the flu shot every year because "it made him sick" the one time he got it. This is the same man who gets the flu every year and is not only very sick with the flu but spreads it to everyone. People will say whatever they can to justify their own silly decisions and behaviors.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

My Dad and SM are 80-some-thousandth on the list in their area. I'm absolutely heartsick about it and would give my eye teeth to get it for them. Sad