You are here

Third Time is a charm!!

Seasons's picture

Just needing some ideas and advise. I was married just after turning 18 with a baby. 7yrs later ended in divorce, second time I was 32yrs old this lasted 2 and 1/2yrs before he kicked me and my children out of HIS home. Now 38 yrs old I am going to talk the walk again. This time I just don't know how to go about it I have never been married in a church and would very much like to do this but, we have been living together for over 2 yrs, we have children from previous marriages. I don't want to minimize the sencerity of our commitment based on our past bad decisions. I just don't know if we should go to Vegas, and Island, or go to church. I would like the support of our church family but, I also don't want to kid myself... You know what I mean? What do you suggest? No matter what the kids will be involved. I do know that for a fact they are really excited... The girls want pretty dresses!!!

Austen's picture

I'm sure you can find a church that will marry you -- some want you to be a member, others just want you to be of the same religion.

I did No. 2 before a justice of the peace with his children taking part, having been married the first time before a priest in a Catholic church. I enjoyed No. 2 much more -- more laid back, and the vows were much, much shorter. The guests enjoyed the shorter ceremony too!

But again if you want a church, start looking and I'm sure you'll find something. Oh, and budget for it. First time around, the church cost a $500 "donation."

h7's picture

Down here we have a Renaissance Festival every fall. They have a chapel & a large tent so people can get married there & have a reception. Everyone is dressed up in Renaissance costumes & the ceremony is Renaissance style with park workers making the announcement with horns & trumpets. Then the couple gets a ride around the park in a carriage. Then the feast begins! It's really cool.

Whatever you do, do it for you & your DH. This day belongs to you guys, y'know.

Hipi

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Sita Tara's picture

Look up a local UU church (in a bigger city near you so there is a bigger congregation.) They are completely welcoming. My H and I married in a UU church where we weren't members and brought an out of town UU minister to officiate. They were all very accomodating, and support all major world religious ceremonies.

Peace, love, and red wine

need2vent's picture

You want a wedding in a church you can do it. I worked at a church for years and their rules were if you had their pastor do the ceremony then you could not be cohabitating and would have volunteers take peopel, yes people and their children in until ceremony , kind of weird BUT you could also rent sanctuary and have your own pastor, which if you acll around there are pastors that will do it.
Also most towns have a chapel they will rent out to you.
If you are inviting the Lord into your relationship then remmeber He wants to be there and stop judging yourself, like a good father He knows our mistakes, still loves us and wants us to grow in faith and be happy, starting your new family this way is wonderful and only a nut would judge you for wanting to start it this way!

"We don't understand life anymore at 40 then at 20, but we know it and admit it" Jules Renard

girlonstage22's picture

You should call around to churches in your area. More than likely the preacher will want to speak with you as there are many preachers who have reservations about conducting second marriages. We were blessed to have someone who understood the circumstances in our past relationships. and I'm in the south...and baptist! Wink

God will provide for you. Keep your head up and plan the wedding you always dreamed of having!

Seasons's picture

Well, that is what I said when I was getting kicked out by #2 but, as you can tell BF quickly picked me up and we have been together ever since. We used to work together over 6yrs ago, he met me before I married #2 he was acutally married at the time and asked me what I was doing... I just thought how can this guy ask me this question when he is married... I didn't realize he was on his way out of a marriage that wasn't working and I was setteling back then I really did want to be married. I think that is the biggest reason it didn't work besides #2's violent temper.