You are here

Therapists for kids vs. adults

SMof2Girls's picture

IF (and it's a big IF) DH decides to agree to a few sessions of co-parenting therapy, would it be beneficial to see the same therapist the skids will see?

Do therapists even do both? Or are they strictly for kids?

Just wondering the best way to avoid bias by a high conflict BM in these situations. I think separate would be better; but I have no real clue ..

Shaman29's picture

It's a conflict of interest for the therapist.

Individual therapy
Family therapy
Marriage Counseling

You can't use one therapist to mix and match in the same family unit. Exception being situational for small children who see one therapist at the same time.

Shaman29's picture

You can however ask for a recommendation from that therapist.

That is what we did for marriage counseling and family counseling.

SMof2Girls's picture

One problem we'll run into is insurance. Skids are covered by BM's insurance (Tricare) but DH carries his own separate policy through his job. I think he's just going to put together a list of ones that work for him to have handy in the event BM starts to push.

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

Agreed. Highly unethical for kids and parents to see the same therapist, and no decent therapist would even suggest it.

ej'scrazy's picture

See, I always thought this was true. However, BM and skids are still seeing the same therapist, and she pushed for it to be added to the CO amendment--and won! Of course, she failed to mention she was seeing the same person.

BM started taking the skids to see her therapist, and then therapist suggested drug therapy. BM was all for it. Told the therapist that DH wasn't involved at all, so she could make the decision on her own. The therapist was surprised when DH emailed/contacted her in person and realized that BM was full of crap. Guess what? Therapist is still seeing both the BM and the skids.

I wish someone would explain to the therapist that there's a conflict of interest!

GhostWhoCooksDinner's picture

Unfortunately, not all therapists are ethical. Or any good at what they do. :O

alieigh21's picture

My kids and I used the same therapist. Our situation is a lot different and probably doesn't apply to most situations. Our therapy was about dealing with my first husbands suicide. We started out with a group session but switched to individual sessions. Sometimes when there was a lot of overlap our therapist would suggest a group session. We tended to be at different stages in our grief at different times. Using the same therapist allowed us to get more out of it especially with me and my daughter. It was really helpful having someone who both of us had talked with help us work out issues. It really depends on the therapist but we found one who could stay objective.

SMof2Girls's picture

I did something similar when my parents passed away. I have 4 siblings, so we had a combination of individual and changing groups depending on what issues were presenting.

I guess the difference there is that we were all committed to getting through it together .. that's just not the case with our BM ..

Shaman29's picture

That is more family therapy and you don't want too many cooks in the kitchen in that situation.

I can completely understand why you'd all want the same therapist and it completely makes sense.

Drac0's picture

I see pros and cons to the choices here. Seeing the same therapist that the children see would alleviate any need for DH to bring the therapist up to speed on the current situation. On the other hand, seeing someone else completely would save your DH from any potential bias.

I do know a therapist that treats both children and adults but she specializes in dealing with children. So I was hesitant in seeing her at first because of this but she helped me greatly and I was capable of moving on past the problems I was dealing with at the time (baggage from my first marriage).

Sorry I don't have much to add here.