You are here

Thanksgiving, now and then

forever2's picture

I thought there would be more Thanksgiving posts today, so I could read them and feel less crappy if others were feeling the skid holiday blues too. I hate the holidays now because of skid. I used to love them. Today I have been contemplating Thanksgivings over the years since my BF and I got together. Sound familiar to anyone else?

THANKSGIVING, THE EARLY YEARS: The idea of spending the holiday with my BF made me smile from ear to ear. The gorgeous wonderful man, the chef, the althlete, that body and that great conversation...he touched every inch of my being. This man who all the women wanted, who finally looked my way...to be mine, to spend the holiday chatting in a warm kitchen with him, sipping wine, heaven. Yeah, he had a kid and an ex, but no one is perfect right?

THANKSGIVING, THE IN-BETWEEN YEARS: The holiday is tolerable if BF and I get a little time together. I can't believe he married that psycho-bitch and procreated with her. I can't believe we have to beg her to take her own kid when its her turn. Its still fun, but to make such a wonderful meal and then have to sit there listening to the mindless chatter (or alternatively the awkward silence) of that skid really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. BF is so obsessed with meeting every demand of his kid, that I am a bit of an afterthought, and I feel it, intensely. He is still handsome, still a good cook, although sadly misguided as a parent. Wine, lots of wine, helps me tune out the little brat. When skid finally goes to bed, when overindulgant dad, puts him to bed at 11 or so, it is pleasant to bask in the post Thanksgiving dinner warmth with my guy, despite his flaws.

THANKSGIVING, THE CURRENT: I hate the holiday, unless BM is taking the kid, in which case, happy dance. The thought of being stuck in the house (what was supposed to be my place of peace) with the little brat for 5 days without school is a small consolation for having BF around with me. I pray to be assigned to cover at work. I would rather eat a TV dinner with BF alone than a feast with skid. I wish I could fast forward to January and skip the holiday hoopla. The only thing I am thankful for this Thanksgiving is the BM has to take the kid NEXT year and I have five days of joy.

Perspective changes doesn't it? When the glow wears off a new relationship, those skids are still there. You cannot hold on to ecstasy of a new romance any more than you can make annoying skids vanish. I guess what I am now experiencing during my holidays is nothing more than REALITY.

poisonivy's picture

Wow, Forever, you really put a nice spin on it.....summed it all up perfectly. I cannot believe that a time of year that I used to look so forward to has become a time of anxiety and almost dread.

Happy Holidays...

GoodbyeNormaJean's picture

The kids were supposed to be out of school just Thursday and Friday, then the weekend. Well, there was freezing rain, making the roads unsafe. School was cancelled Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Do you think any of the BMs, knowing that school was cancelled, offered to begin taking their time early? Well did Hell freeze over? No. So not only were the precious little angels out of school, but they could not go outside due to inclement weather. So where were they? Firmly wedged between the cheecks of my great big bootylicious white heiny, that's where.

I could scarecely get my holiday baking done because The Martian stands silently behind me in the kitchen so she's there every time I turn around, and she's in the way if I move my arms to try to add an ingredient or stir something.

I finally got wise to what they were up to, trying to smother me to death in my own kitchen, and I lured them into the nursery with a box of Little Debbie snack cakes and some Capri Suns. Yea, that's right, I went there.

We've now been out of wine since 4pm today, and there is no relief in sight until DH gets home at 11:30. I just announced that I will be wrapping gifts in the front room tonight and everyone has to be in jammies with teeth brushed ready for a movie no later than 9. Yes, I know it's a holiday. But the kids haven't been to school in 5 days, and these are desperate times!

Last-Wife's picture

We order pizza. It's so much easier. And everyone is happy- especially me, cause I didn't slave for 6 hours for a perfect meal they devour in 10 minutes and leave the mess to me. Paper plates, napkins. A trash bag. Done. Yup! It's perfect!