You are here

Taxes, totally not a step parent thing just need help!

Totheend12345's picture

Hoping one of you wonderful people may be able to help me!

From labor day until last week my manager has been putting 8 hour holiday pay on my check that should not of been added. We check out time on the computers, she did not have it on there, but in her accounting system she had is marked some how. 

Yes I know have to pay it back. But the stickler is durning the time that I was getting paid this we are crazy busy working any were from 55+ plus hours a week. My checks were alot higher but at that time I figured it was just the over time pay.

Since I had so much over time durning that time period did I get taxed higher on this holiday pay? Now she is going to take four of my holidays away to repay it, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas day. Then she is going to take 8 hours off two week in between till it is all paid back.

I am just wondering now that we have slowed down do I end up paying back more then I should. I can see it going either way. That A the pay back works fine.

Or B that since I had so much over time durning that time she had the extra hours on there, I paid in a ton of taxes on it and really didnt see much of it due do to taxes. Now I am paying back money that actullay went to taxes. (I know I have to pay taxes on it but I am hoping this makes since. It logical in my head but I cant seem to explain it.)

Cover1W's picture

Does your office have an HR/Payroll person?  If so, go to them.

I have done payroll corrections before.  The cleanest way is for them to "take back" the over-payment, which should also account for any taxes paid - this will reverse everything.  What we have done is either dock their next paycheck, or series of paychecks, until the end of the tax year, depending on how much the correction is. 

Then you should be all caught up. Don't let them get away with them funky-monkeying with "taking away" other legit holidays.  Always review your paychecks and if anything is "off" notify someone right away.  Your HR/Payroll person was also not doing their job BTW.

Totheend12345's picture

I went to her she seemed lost. I just talk to the main manager I think she is going to redo it and help me out.