You are here

Tax form question

redblanket44's picture

In DH's divorce decree it states that he gets to claim SS on taxes for even years and ex gets odd years. They have joint custody but SS lives with ex majority of the time.
The order states that that DH will get to claim SS for tax deduction purposes and for the child tax credit.
Ex is court ordered to sign an irs form 8332 so DH is able to claim SS. He's never been behind on CS.
I didn't realize this until this year. DH has never had her sign one in the past. They've been divorced for 5 yrs.
So we won't need the form for us filing this year for 2015 but come next year when we file for 2016 we will need this document signed by her.

I guess my question for anyone who has dealt with this or knows is should we start requesting it now in case she refuses and we have to go back to court? Is this a document you should get ahead of time and have when we file next year? or if we get it should we send it in right away?

I'm new to all this stuff

redblanket44's picture

Yeah we ended up asking her and she said she will not sign it til the end of December and we have to remind her and resend her the paperwork. She's ordered to sign it annually and get it to the irs.
So frustrating!!!!!!