You are here

Suppers

Annoyed1's picture

Just wondering how people do it all?!? I don't have any kids of my own. I recently started working and it's a physically demanding job. By the end of the day, I am just exhausted Sad but, my day isn't over yet! No!!! I get to go home to 2 skids that are "hungry"! There's plenty of food in the fridge... Sandwiches, corn dogs (yuck), soup, canned ravioli etc etc. I am always home before DH. He works long hours too. I just don't know what to do... Is it too much to expect 14 and 12 year olds to make their own effing supper sometimes?!? How do you work all day, come home after 5:30 only to make supper for everyone and shower, walk the dogs, do laundry?!? I'm exhausted and am thinking it's just not worth it.

Dizzy's picture

I've been having a love affair with my slow cooker. I gots recipes.

And those skids, they need to learn to fend for themselves. They're too old to be crying hungry and demanding that YOU make something.

step off already's picture

Crock pots rule. Find recipes on Pinterest and you will be a happy woman. 5 min in the morning!!!

askYOURdad's picture

Exactly. Also, if you're up for it. Search "freezer cooking" on pinterest or "once a month cooking"

You basically dedicate one day to making a bunch of meals and freezer bagging them, write on the bag with a sharpie what the recipe needs (for example "add one cup chicken broth and one cup water") and every morning grab a bag and throw it in the crock pot.

Willow2010's picture

Great idea about the once a month cooking. But I would be adamant that EVERYONE in the house pitch in on the day you prepare them.

askYOURdad's picture

absolutely, we do and it's actually pretty fun, everyone grabs a cutting board and a knife and their particular thing: onions, carrots, celery etc:

Dizzy's picture

I'm in love with the once a month cooking idea and just opened a tab on my iPad for it so I don't forget to check this out!

askYOURdad's picture

http://diycozyhome.com/top-5-freezer-meals-great-for-friends-with-new-ba...

http://www.ringaroundtherosies.net/2012/02/freezer-cooking.html

http://www.thecountrychiccottage.net/2014/01/freezer-cooking-part-1-reci...

http://www.thenaptownorganizer.com/2013/09/once-month-crock-pot-cooking....

Here are a few good ones. Don't forget, you can pretty much use any crockpot recipe that will freeze well. One other tip, we don't always eat the meals in the order we make them, we do this for budget reasons too, so one month we might make a ton of chicken meals, the next pasta, soup etc. So, it's good to start a little stash and then add to it by what is on sale but not have to force yourself to eat roast 5 days in a row.

Willow2010's picture

Easy fix.... stop doing it all.

Assign everyone a night to cook.

You..Monday
SS...Tuesday and Thursday
SD...Wednesday and Friday
DH...Saturday and Sunday.

Same with all the other chores. You get less because you don't have kids in the mix.

You really DO have the power to control what you do and don't do.

ncgal1980's picture

I agree. You have to set some boundaries and just STOP doing it all. Those kids are damn well old enough to fix something to eat. I'd talk to DH and see what you can set up, like Willow suggested above.

If he bucks and doesn't like it, too damn bad. Tell him he needs to start preparing ready-to-eat meals for his darlings if he doesn't like the thought of them having to (gasp) actually feed themselves.

Don't make it YOUR job to feed those kids! That's bullhonky!

I'd ask DH when the last time was that HE fixed YOU a meal!

step off already's picture

Yes. Every now and then I let two of the kids make dinner and two have to clean up.

The ones doing the cooking really enjoy it and the ones cleaning up appreciate the nights they don't have to clean up a bit more.

.... thinking this should be a weekly thing.

libra2libra83's picture

Slow cooker for the win. I prepare as much as I can the night before, or on weekends (measuring spices, cutting certain veggies), and in the morning I throw everything in and turn it on. That way when I get home, I have a healthy meal ready for consumption.

Annoyed1's picture

That's a great idea!!! I had a slow cooker and it fed me through college! I'm just too tired from work to come home to more work. It feels like it never ends!!! I've been so tired that I'm going to bed at the same time as them Sad

libra2libra83's picture

I look up new recipes every couple of weeks. It is amazing. Plus it makes enough food for a leftover night. It is nice to get a break from doing any kind of cooking at all during the week.

Dizzy's picture

I have two slow cookers for when I wanna get fancy! I love it, especially with spring/summer swim starting soon, which means we will have to have food ready RIGHT when we get home...

I look up recipes when I find something I like and want to slow cook it.

I also have other recipes that aren't slow cooker that can be thrown together, refrigerated, then put in the oven when ready...all healthy...ex: chicken fajita casserole, chicken enchiladas, eggplant Parmesan lasagne, and much, much more! (That was in my infomercial voice.)

ncgal1980's picture

Yeah, with my skids, if dinner doesn't come out of a Taco Bell or McDonald's bag like it does at BM's house every freaking night, it's not fit to eat. Fine by me. Eat whatever your dad makes, then.

I don't cook anymore on the weeks that the skids are with us. I got tired of them turning up their noses at everything I made, so I said to Hell with it. Just bitch at your dad because he didn't give you a bag of greasy junk food for dinner and leave me out of it.

Orange County Ca's picture

With a slow cooker you're just changing the time you do the preparation. But its true at least you're not coming home to screaming brats. Well not hungry ones anyway. Kids of this age can prepare whatever meals you've taught them to prepare and provided the ingredients for. Lets see 1. One can spaghetti. 2. One loaf bread. 3. One tub oleomargarine. Done. Expect to come home to occasional opened can of spaghetti on floor.

I'm glad you're starting to see that perhaps you're the volunteer maid, babysitter, cook, chauffeur and sex partner et al. I've little doubt you were chosen for your willingness to do those things and if you went on strike you probably would find him saying "This isn't working out". Damn right it wouldn't be, not for him anyway.

I'm really glad you haven't decided that having a baby is the perfect way to fix things. Boy it really goes downhill from there. Keep your legs together for now and consider your situation. Eventually you'll decide you're far better off finding a childless guy and starting your own family providing you two have agreed to have children. Although you'll be coming home to the same situation at least they'll be your own. Plus you can postpone that day for a decade or two in light of your young age and start having some fun. For me that would be travel - for you perhaps going to a Dude Ranch for a couple of weeks.

That speaks to money. Exactly how much is all of this costing YOU?

With a slow cooker you're just changing the time you do the preparation. But its true at least you're not coming home to screaming brats. Well not hungry ones anyway. Kids of this age can prepare whatever meals you've taught them to prepare and provided the ingredients for. Lets see 1. One can spaghetti. 2. One loaf bread. 3. One tub oleomargarine. Done. Expect to come home to occasional opened can of spaghetti on floor.

I'm glad you're starting to see that perhaps you're the volunteer maid, babysitter, cook, chauffeur and sex partner et al. I've little doubt you were chosen for your willingness to do those things and if you went on strike you probably would find him saying "This isn't working out". Damn right it wouldn't be, not for him anyway.

I'm really glad you haven't decided that having a baby is the perfect way to fix things. Boy it really goes downhill from there. Keep your legs together for now and consider your situation. Eventually you'll decide you're far better off finding a childless guy and starting your own family providing you two have agreed to have children. Although you'll be coming home to the same situation at least they'll be your own. Plus you can postpone that day for a decade or two in light of your young age and start having some fun. For me that would be travel - for you perhaps going to a Dude Ranch for a couple of weeks.

Sparklelady's picture

And to add to all that... You don't need to walk the dogs and do laundry too. The skids can do that. They should be assigned it on their days with you.

jumanji's picture

LOL I work F/T, then come home and make dinner for my elderly parents. Slow cookers rock! I also make stuff/prep ahead (casseroles, sauce, chop veggies, slice meat, etc.). It's really just a matter of planning ahead.

zerostepdrama's picture

Ugh I do ALL dinners at our house. It's just me and BS and DH. DH never wants to eat until late- like 9. BS and I like to eat early (around 5ish). So it just makes more sense for me to cook. BUT even if DH was home early he still wouldnt cook. (that's another post- grrrr)

Thankfully I work from home 2 days a week, so I dont feel so stressed to cook dinner right after work. I also use the crockpot. And we eat out a lot. BS is still young enough that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to eat out. BUT I dont like that we eat out, because of the health aspect. But the mental aspect of not having to cook and clean up, that outweighs it for me most days.

Your skids are old enough that they can help cooking or prepare their own meals.

Calypso1977's picture

do you enjoy cooking? i think that's where it is.

if you dont particularly like to cook then i think its viewed as a "chore" and even if you worked PT you wouldnt want to do it.

i work 50-60 hours (maybe i could do less if i wasnt on ST so much? LoL) but i cook a meal for us every night. But i enjoy cooking. They key is to find easy on teh stove items - i do alot of chix breast, pork chops in the skillet or steaks - 20 mins max which is just the right amount of time to steam veggies. Roasts and such i save for the weekends and those are so easy you throw them in and forget it!

ive personally never been a fan of crock pots unless its for a soup or something. when you cook something like pot roast and veggies, everything ends up tasting the same. yucky.

Bio-Step-Mom's picture

My bios are 14/16 (skids are here only during summers).

I grocery shop and cook - I do no other chores. My bios rotate 1 week on/1 week off on cleaning the kitchen. They rotate cleaning their own bathroom and they do their own laundry.

DH does our laundry and other house chores - cooking is daily; other chores are not. So I refuse to scrub toilets and do laundry since I have to cook. I did not "ask"; I said it was how it was going to be.

I use my crockpot/slowcooker but another BIG tip that I give working moms is to prepare at least 1.5-2 times for each meal.

E.g.; If cook chicken, potatoes and veges today, make spaghetti tomorrow then on Saturday I won't cook because there will be leftovers and/or everyone can fend for themselves.

onthefence2's picture

My 11DD has helped in the kitchen for years. She enjoys cutting veggies for the crockpot and obviously young kids are capable. They just need to be expected to help out. I do more crockpot stuff in fall/winter, and we tend to snack throughout the day (we are all home all day) and often just snack right through dinner. But snacks are healthy foods, not dingdongs and potato chips all day. THAT SAID, honestly, one of the reasons at the top of the list of "why I could never live with my bf" is that I don't have to deal with a skid turning his nose up at how we do things, what we eat, meals I fix, etc. And I certainly wouldn't want to work in the kitchen with a skid. My kids are younger and know how to cook eggs, grilled cheese, mac n cheese, and they can heat up anything they want on the stove. Some older kids still depend on adults to do EVERYTHING in the kitchen and that needs to stop. We all need to stop catering to these kids and teach them to be independent.

Drac0's picture

We have a "make your own pizza" night. I buy the raw ingredients, chop them up and the kids make their own pizza on the ready-made pizza bread that you can buy at just about any store. Kids love it! (Even my 2-year-old). Doesn't take long to prepare, and best of all NOBODY complains!

askYOURdad's picture

My kids love this as well. Smile

We also do it with tacos, I have a veggie tray that I just lay all of the ingredients out on and we all make our own tacos.

We also started doing it with Stromboli, if your kids like pizza this will probably be a hit: same thing, just get pizza dough and the insides everyone likes (there are some good ones like spinach and mozzarella) but the kids like doing this as well. I usually buy the frozen pizza dough in bulk.

Annoyed1's picture

Thank you all so much for your great ideas! I am actually cooking supper as we speak! Roast is in the crockpot and I am at work Smile the boys live with us full time (since November) and we are still trying to get everything ironed out. When we got them, I was laid off my job so was at home anyways and did mainly everything. Now, I'm working more than full time (counting my blessings) but everything was still up to me to do. I lost it on DH yesterday. Now, we are sitting down together tonight and coming up with a chore chart and DH got some suppers that they can just pop in the microwave for when there is no supper or we don't feel like cooking. It was funny too, cause the oldest (14) said to me yesterday, "can I go to my moms tonight?" And I asked why (since they only go there every other weekend). His response, "she has food there"!!! Omfg!!! There is food here!!! And it's not like she pays a dime towards the kids anyways. She's above child support... Until DH fills out the paper work tomorrow }:) I just bit my tongue and told him to ask his dad when he gets home.