You are here

The stress of dealing the ex caused my husband to smoke. Anyone else?

MissJulsie's picture

My husband had successfully quit smoking once upon a time. Then when his ex left him, and he went through all the shit with the courts, the house, money, custody and child support, he took it up again. Now that he and I are married and have a baby of our own, we are a one-income family. As we desperately can't afford for him to smoke. 

BethAnne's picture

Sadly OP there is not much you can do. You can ask him how he feels about it and if he wants to quit again but if he isn't ready to then all you can do is insist that he doesn't smoke around you and the baby. 

Everyone has their ways of coping with stress and he fell back on his smoking. 

My husband smoked when I met him and kept saying he wanted to quit. Eventually he stopped smoking cigaretts and took up vaping instead. It was on his timeline though and without pressure from me. I was there to support him though. 

If you two need to adjust your finances then it is probably worth looking at other areas to spend less or earn more rather than focusing only on his smoking.

Steptotheright's picture

Easy to take up a vice in a high stress situation. Harder to quit than to start. Patches, gum, cutting down and all that crap aren't the way. Cold turkey is how it should be done. Just riptheband aid off.

Jcksjj's picture

Willpower is lower when you're stressed out. You only have so much of it. He quit once, hopefully he can do it again.

hereiam's picture

This really sucks, financially and health wise. I don't even know what cigarettes cost these days, but pretty high?

How long ago did he quit and how long has he been smoking again? He is going to have to figure out another way to relieve his stress.

Rags's picture

He made the choice. He needs to work the extra hours to support his habbit.  There are no excuses and for damned sure there are no reasons.

tog redux's picture

My original post got deleted - but yes, my DH smoked some when he was dealing with an impossible situation with BM and his son was being alienated. Thankfully, he didn't keep it up. And it would not have been a financial issue for us.

I think you have to have the discussion with him about the financial inability to continue to pay for this. I won't be as harsh as the people who are piling on him - but he needs to quit for his health and because he can't afford it. 

Willow2010's picture

I could care less if anyone smokes or not.  Like you said...it is not like popping the heads off of puppies.  lol.  Not sure why it got deleted but it cracked me up.  

hermoniegee's picture

I told my BF when he started back up and told me it was his exGF causing stress that I  would find an attorney to sue her  if he gets cancer or maybe sue  the tobacco company.He just laughed.He still smokes.I think any excuse will do for him to keep on smoking.It coud be worse.Like crack or heroin I imagine.

Willow2010's picture

It coud be worse.Like crack or heroin I imagine.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Heck...these days they say too many carrots can cause cancer.