You are here

Stepson seeking advice from stepparents

Monthy098's picture

Hi I’m not sure if this is exactly the right spot for this kind of question but I’m 15 right now and my father and mother are divorced  , my father is remarrying with a woman (35) ,  she has two daughters and this is a problem for me as she most likely is his mistress. 

Now my issue is that :

1.I don’t want to have anything to do with him no matter what he does Id like a clean slate without her nor him in my life , basically after this I don’t want him in my life , I want out basically and he insists that I live with him at least for a few months a year , but I’ve decided that I do not love him as cruel as it sounds , I simply don’t want any interaction.

2.The second issue is that my mom has moved out to the USA and there she met I believe an ex army surgeon ( I’m sorry I don’t know exactly what his role/rank was as I frankly didn’t really ask him about his service and I’d rather not divulge private info here). Basically we’re “bros” in the sense that he’s a pretty cool guy and my mom didn’t know him before divorce so it’s fine , in a lot of ways this feels hypocritical but I just prefer my mom and my “bro” ex-military stepdad  rather than my father and stepmother (my dad does want to live with him and his wife is fine , but I’m not fine and clearly told him that I’m no longer his son due to him stabbing my mom in the back).I mean my SF is perfectly fine with me being here and generally I really enjoy his company.

3. My mom and my SF don’t plan on having any kids whilst my stepmother has 2 little girls 9 and I believe 11 , I made it absolutely clear to my father that I will not tolerate anyone else in my life but him , my stepdad  and my mother . I simply am not going to stand them , I’m sorry but I frankly can’t.

So yea basically I’m in a position where I just want to live with my mother and stepfather in the  US of A (it’s generally a very cool especially Texas ) , but my father (in Europe) isn’t too happy about me basically kicking him out of his life  as cruel as it seems I just don’t want this man to interfere with my life anymore . And honestly I don’t know what to do I’d be perfectly happy living with my SF and my mom , but father is pretty mad about me preferring them over him and giving my SF much better and essentially  preferential treatment to my moms new husband over him and his stepchildren. How can I get out of this? Again I’m sorry if I may sound a bit incoherent at times but English isn’t my mother tongue. I honestly would love to just move out to the states full time and leave my bio father to his own devices.

I did make a simular post on reddit and sorry for posting here , but I simply want to fix up my  life and relationships and wanted to ask other more experienced people in regards to blending families.

Aunt Agatha's picture

You are still young.  You’ve not had many if any serious relationships.  So you are standing in judgement of something you’ve not experienced and really know little about.

That said, No one truly knows what goes on in someone else’s relationship.  On top of it, you haven’t even, it seems, talked to your father about any concerns you have.

Frankly, I think you should continue to see your dad.  Learn a bit about life, and not be so judgemental.  Regardless, your parents relationship is ultimately none of your business.

If you were here because either of your parents were abusive, it’d be different.  But you’ve jumped to a conclusion and now just want to be cruel.

It suggests you aren’t as mature as you think, and have some real growing up to do.

In my opinion of course.

tog redux's picture

It's fine to be angry at your father, but cutting him out of your life is extreme. Does your mother expect you to take her side and be angry at him because he had an affair? Does she act sad and upset about it? Does she give you the feeling that she doesn't want you to see your dad?  If so, all of that is inappropriate.

As Aunt Agatha said, you don't really know what went on between him and your mom (and if you do because your mother is telling you, that's a problem too).  Kids in a divorce shouldn't feel they have to take sides.

Give your father a chance.  At least here in the US, a 15 yo doesn't get to decide where he lives - are you allowed to make that decision?

beebeel's picture

"Most likely" his mistress based on what?

You seem to be having an extreme reaction to something when you aren't even certain of the facts.

RisingtheWave80's picture

I think 15 years old is too young to make a drastic decision such as this. I am dealing with my SD who chooses the "cooler, more relaxed, less expectations home" over a home that will hold her accountable. While it seems like it would be "cool" be be living with your mom and "bro", remember visiting and living with them are two different things, your "bro" of a Stepfather may not be so Bro like when he needs to take a parenting role, and I imagine with overseas parenting from your BF this would happen.

You are angry with your father for being with a woman you believe or think destroyed your parents marriage, I can understand that but remember a marriage is a very complex thing that children rarely get a clear understanding of or know both sides. I would recommend that you try to have some understanding with this and don't blame your stemother for something she obviously didn't do on her own, if in fact they were having an affair prior to your parents marriage desolving. Grown-Up relationships are not easy.

Monthy098's picture

In regards to my mom supporting -me she can and we’ve already gone over that  , there’ll be no financial issues and generally my moms happy with me being here , even my stepfather promised to help out financially in case something happens to my mother I guess he does like me a lot , but I generally was incredibly kind and caring towards that man , so I guess we’re fine on that front , as for the immigration issues I think that certain EU countries do have the right to live and work in the US , but idk since my mom and SF promised to help me out with the immigration issues.

As for my father , he did agree though he clearly is unhappy about the situation ,  but he agreed to sign the necessary paperwork for my mother to have sole custody (again I’m not really involved in regards to the legal side of the divorce so I’m not sure how this will work)  , I told him that after all I went through and after him having a romance I can’t normslly function normally anymore around him and he caved though , apparently he really hoped that I’d be a part of his new family . I did agree to meet him from time to time during Christmas and such , but I generally will be free to stay with my mother.

Generally I don’t talk to my stepmother and her children when I’m with my father , I never am rude or disrespectful I just address her as MRS/ma’am and do what she asks of me , when I met her I made it rather clear that I don’t really wish to have a closer relationship with her nor her kids and again he wasn’t too happy about me treating her like a stranger but she can live with that , same for her daughters I generally do help them out with school and stuff as I don’t want them to have problems and I generally do it to shut my father and his wife up . So I guess my relationship with her and her family is sort of lukewarm.

Again I’m doing whatever I can to be left alone there as even though she’s been warm towards me and my father generally has been a good parent I’ve decided that I’d like to I guess isolate myself from that side of my family 

Sorry for posting here , but it just seemed like a place where I could actually talk to other people who have gone through similar things before  and as much as I try to stay out of this it does hurt to have my family shattered . Also I’d like tthank  you all for even hearing me out.

shamds's picture

kids but you openly despise her, refer to her and her kids and treat them as strangers meaning you shun them, you do not acknowledge them and on this board that is a common treatment from skids called wmotional abuse. And no its not ok and your stepmum isn’t ok with that behaviour and no she can’t just live with that behaviour because it is wholly immature  and unacceptable.

you do what you are told by your dad and stepmum just to shut them up?? 

Many people go through divorce and not all react the way you do when their parents move on with their lives. Being mature is accepting and understanding the fact that your parents couldn’t live together anymore as husband and wife. Look on these boards and you’ll see plenty of posts of abusive ex’s, cheating spouses, abusive and manipulative ones... 

being mature is accepting the fact those 2 people simply couldn’t stand one another or live together anymore because they had grown apart or one was abusive or because of infidelity.. being mature is seeing your parent with their new spouses or partners real happy. In this case you are only happy your mum found a nice man but not your dad.

you are ok your mum moving on and having a relationship but this same privilege is not allowed with your dad... life isn’t fair, but we get on with it. I am a child of divorce, i was the one who told my mum that i felt she and dad could no longer be married to one another as they had grown so far apart and were fighting constantly and that affected the kids. They were much happier after their divorce.

being mature is being able to reflect on the issues of everyone and to look towards the positives but you are so focussed on the negatives

notasm3's picture

You certainly have a right to remove any people (DNA be damned) whose life decisions grossly offend you.  But you also may choose to allow some back in later if things change.

When someone cheats they not only betray their spouse they also hurt other family members.  

Thisisnotus's picture

No offense, but Do your dad and his new wife a favor and STAY AWAY from them. Do everything you can to stay away from them. Move out of the country with your mom and her man (you have a huge double standard going on) and live happily ever after and let your father enjoy his life instead of trying to make him "pay" for something that you probably don't know the whole story about.......Go cry to your mom and I'm sure you will get your way. You are 15 and should have some say. Good luck.

flmomma08's picture

So you don't even know for sure that she was his mistress? Honestly, even if she was, usually when someone has an affair there are a LOT more issues going on where divorce would happen eventually with or without the affair.

It sucks that your parents don't live closer together but I think this is a huge decision for you to be making at such a young age. Do you have an adult in your life besides your parents that you can speak to about this (uncle/aunt, teacher, coach)?

beebeel's picture

Both your parents seem to be moving on from their marriage at the same exact pace (except your mom has up and moved acrossed the world). 

I will ask again: why do you believe your dad cheated?

Cbarton12's picture

You're making a lot of assumptions. Why assume your dad cheated? You're 15. Youre a kid and I dont think you should completely cut your dad out.

People make mistakes. My parents are divorced and I've forgiven them and moved on with my life. I'm still close to both of them.

You do yourself more harm by alienating yourself from him when there's been no reason to alienate yourself.

That's fine if you want to live with Mom doesn't mean you need to forget about Dad.

Monthy098's picture

I spoke to my mother about it and when I confronted him about (in a rather direct manner)he did admit to it , telling me  lies that their marriage was dead and that’s he truly loved this woman ((I’m not sure if this counts as betrayal per se but he did admit to knowing her and dating her at the time my falling started falling apart).So I may have overreacted and told him that if so then our relationship is dead too (indeed it was rather childish of me to do so , but I was rather unhappy about him literally finding a new wife before he was even divorced). There were certain signs that this was happening , such as him moving out temporarily , arguements etc. 

I considered abandoning me and my mother unacceptable and decided to isolate him out of my life at that point , that certainly was childish and over dramatic but I was under rather large amounts of stresss and I guess I just snapped.

Not my finest moment , but I honestly could not bring myself to my normal calm self.

Still I don’t  think what I’ve done was wrong personally I have never insulted him or his wife directly , all I’ve said to her was “I’d like to not have a relationship with you nor your children unless I’m forced to and even then I  do not wish to have anything to do with you nor them.”

That was the most “rude” thing I’ve ever said to her , I even helped her kids out with school to shut her up. Again I’m sorry if I seem emotional or hotheaded but  it just seems that , this “splendid isolation “ is the only way forward for me at least until I can live with this fact.I certainly can’t unlove a person who raised me , but I will certainly never have the same amount of respect for him as before the divorce and before all of this.

Anyways I’d like to again thank you guys for actually caring about this and hearing me out , you did help me out a lot.

STaround's picture

unpaid aupair for her kids.  The sooner you are out of there, the better.  You new SM is selfish, she needs to stop dumping her kids on you. 

Monthy098's picture

She didn’t ask me for anything I just saw that they struggled with a lot of things and decided that since they didn’t wrong I’m going to help them with their school matters , even though it goes against a lot of  what I wanted to do I just thought that it’d be immoral to not help them when their main issue is mostly maths and I’m pretty good at that.

Thisisnotus's picture

How did he abandom you by having an affair? Did you never see him again? Did he just magically dissapear or up and move to another country?? My guess is that your mom has been in your ear for a while and helping to turn you against your dad.

An affair has nothing to do with you. I can tell that you are going to make your fathers life a living  hell and anyone else who lives in his home....including his wife and her children.

If you are truly happy with mom and SF then just move on. I think it will be healthier for you even. Maybe when you are much older and stop blaming your dad for all that is wrong.....you can try again to have a relationship with him.

Monthy098's picture

At this point me living in the US aid probably a matter of days maybe a week at most I suppose , so I don’t have much time left here.

STaround's picture

When you have an affair, and the family is destroyed, yep, it impacts all members of the family. It is a selfish act, an act that shows NO consideration of the children involved.

And SM continues to be selfish, by forcing OP to look after her kids.  No one seems to care about how sellfish SHE is.  Yet, the mantra on Steptalk is that SMs should not be forced to look after their stepkids. 

Maybe there will come a time when OP is not angry, but I suspect he will never trust either of the adults. 

Thisisnotus's picture

I suppose I should have been more clear. Alot of times there are many other issues in the marriage. I am just not one of those people who thinks an affair is the worst marital betrayel....there are many.

I don't think kids should just hate their parents b/c of an affair.....but other things are okay. Families get destroyed for so many different reasons but for some reason, in our current society it is the "affair" that is the end all.

My DH had an affair on his ex wife.....his ex wife was a fall down drunk who used to shove him against the wall and throw things at him when she was drunk......she would also threaten to call his boss and get him fired if he ever thought of leaving her when she was drunk...he has a job where he really has to walk to the straight and narrow at all times.....but want to take a guess on who destroyed this marriage??? Of course it was my DH!!! Not poor poor betrayed BM.

flmomma08's picture

I understand why you feel abandoned. Affairs can tear families apart. But just remember, your SM didn't betray anyone, your father did. Yes having an affair with a married man may be poor judgment but she didn't make vows to anyone - HE did. I don't agree with her asking you to watch her kids though, that is just weird.

secret's picture

1) how is it your business who your parents date? Your dad's goal as a parent is to get you ready to be out on your own, not to be lonely doing it.

2) you won't tolerate the girls? Ok? They also don't have to tolerate you. You do have to respect that she is the woman your father has chosen... would you cut a bro out of your life because he's dating some ho you can't stand? Come on.

3) you don't get to choose your parents. If you want nothing from your dad, then perhaps your dad should stop giving your mom money to take care if you... he should stop spending money on you..no more gifts..no paid education...no car...nothing. you can't decide to cut him out of your life, then turn around and use him as an atm. What happens if stepdad leaves and mom gets another dude you don't like so much? Gonna cut her off too? 

4)sounds like you want everyone centered on You, like you don't want anyone else to have their own life, that you want everyone all to yourself. News flash kid... you don't get to dictate who people around you have in their life. Not now, not ever. You can't tell your friends who to be friends with...can't tell your friends who to date... can't tell your friends how to live their lives just because you feel it's not centered around you.

The sooner you face the reality that you ain't King St!t of the universe, the happier you will be.

A 15 year old wanting to cut his dad out if his life because his dad loves someone other than the kids mom...what's next...kid goes to a house party and stops being friends with someone because they invited someone the kid doesn't approve of? 

Please.

Life happens. Your mom wasn't the woman for your dad...if she was, he'd have stayed with her. Other people's relationships are none of your business.... even if its your parents. Their goal in life is not to seek a child's approval. Grow up and move on.

You asked for honesty... 

STaround's picture

The person playing King of the Hill is the new stepmom who expects her new stepson to watch her kids.  He says he will be gone in a week or so, and I am guessing won't look back.  His dad may look back.

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

it’s right that you don’t know the facts. Your parents may never tell you the full truth because a) you are too young right now and b) you parents don’t have to tell you everything about their private life. Are you going to tell your mum everything if and when you are married. As we get older we establish personal boundaries and our relationships change. Whether we like it or not. Your father may be taking it on the chin as it were and maybe trying to protect you. I’m sure he only has your best interests at heart. We are all allowed to live our lives without anyone telling us what to do when we are fully fledged adults. What are you going to do if you fall madly in love with a woman and one of your parents tries to tell you not to date her. Would it be your life? Or would you not date her? 

DHsfamilyfromhell's picture

You get a lot of credit for at least trying to come on here though. I wish my step kids would come on here and ask for advice.

susanm's picture

Half of all marriages end in divorce.  Divorces take time, often years, and very often people begin relationships before the divorce is final.  When you become an adult and marry, it is very likely that you will have this occur in your life.  You may not think so now.  It is very easy to be idealistic at 15 when you have had absolutely no experience in how real relationships work.  But remember how you have chosen to treat your father.  You may realize one day how much of an apology you owe him.

ITB2012's picture

I get being upset with your dad for something bad he did. I was the same age when my dad did something bad. He was upset that I was mad at him and that it was "none of my business" but I told him when it affected the whole family it was my business. It wasn't pretty.

A few years later my brother was 20 when he had a falling out with our dad and cut him out of his life.

I did not cut my father out of my life. I stayed in touch and though he may not have ever realized it, I kept it a bit more formal and watched him since there was a level at which I did not trust him. But he was still my father. He became a better person and we are close.

My brother has seen my dad once in 25+ years and only by circumstance since it was an event related to my family/son. There was no animosity but it was very awkward and tense and formal. And my brother's children have only met their grandfather that one time (and they don't have another one since my SILs dad died when she was young). So they haven't had the benefit of a grandpa.

From one "kid who had a shitty dad" to another: don't cut him out of your life. It will probably be difficult and uneasy for a while, but keep in touch. it's very logical to say it would be better for you to stay all school year with your mom and visit for a month in the summer, or two separate weeks in the year. And you have, what three years/times of doing this? That's not much across your entire lifetime.

Once you are out on your own, kids typically don't visit as often so a few phone calls and a once a year visit would be the norm especially with him overseas. You will be able to have a decent relationship even if it's not close.

STaround's picture

But I have to add, if Dad and SM force or manipulate the kid into taking care of his stepsiblings, that is wrong.  If they are ugly to him unless he is the aupair, that is wrong.  He needs to set boundaries if he is going to visit.  

secret's picture

There are limits to that too.... it's pretty normal on families for older siblings to be responsible for younger ones, for a variety of reasons...

I regularly left my kids alone for short periods of time, to run an errand or what not... they're all pretty close in age, and regularly argued and bickered like many siblings did, but they knew that if I went to the store, the dynamic changed.

At 12, my oldest was in charge of his 11 and 9 year old sisters.

(15-20 minute store trip)

It taught responsibility, motivated to show capabilities to be mature, taught independence, and established a chain of command so to speak. They report to me when I'm home, but they must respect the established authority when I was not. 

Even now, they are each responsible for ss sometimes... even if he's DH's child. It keeps them on their toes, makes them accountable for their actions, teaches them by trial and error what works and what doesn't... and silver lining, hopefully acts as birth control. (*snicker*)

We act like a family, but we also have boundaries. They are not "forced" to watch as while we are home, and we don't bail on being home to avoid ss. They are not to miss out on an activity due to having to watch ss... and if they do, they are PAID just like another sitter would.

They are not paid for "watch your brother while I mow the lawn please"... just for "we're going out for a dinner date, here's 20$ a pizza and a movie with popcorn. Back in 2 hours."

Family takes care of family... it's about working together in the home... not about whose kid is whose.

That said... they don't take care of ss so that we don't have to... that shouldn't happen, ever, intact family or not. Helping in the family should be a normal part if growing up... which this 15year old appears to have grasped. Good for him.

STaround's picture

If this was MOM who cheated on DAD, and the kid was forced to babysit the new SF's kids, people would be complaining. They would be calling her BioWhore. 

The SM has shown NO sign of treating this kid like family .  If you care about kids, you do not engage in an affair with a parent.  OP confirmed his dad admitted to it.   I wish him good luck in America and welcome him here. 

secret's picture

It's not about which parent is doing It, which is the point you seem to be arguing about. Whether it's mom or dad doing It, watching a sibling should not be forced on a sibling in order for the parent to avoid being responsible.

Why do you say she made no effort? Again, only you are saying that. The OP said it was HIM who told HER he wanted nothing to do with her. There was NO mention of her making him feel unwelcome.

Whether he cheated or not matters not in thus situation...only in that it's the reason the kid is pissed at his dad.

IF she was forcing her kids on him then I'd agree... but she is not, he confirmed she is not. 

I think that if mom was the one who was cheating, the kid wouldn't resent sm and would direct his anger at mom...seems mature enough to direct the anger at the right person... 

Are affairs horrible? Of course. Doesn't make a parent love their child less... actually... living in a sham of a marriage, arguing all the time, and showing a child what an unhappy marriage looks like is worse. Sets the kid up to think a bad marriage is normal. People can love their kid without loving who they made them with. Real love is unconditional... it's not "I'll only love you if you..."... that's psychological abuse. 

Would you rather the kid learn that unhappy is normal, or that his 2 parents can still live him anf be in happy marriages with other people?

Come on.

You're making a lot of assumptions that are in direct conflict with what the OP is stating in his posts... makes you look like you're projecting.

Kids have nothing to do with your love life. If you love your child, you do not subject them to an unhealthy environment... you don't stay in an unhealthy environment. Sometimes, that means divorce. A piece of paper is not defining of happiness.

STaround's picture

Divorced first, then looked for new wife.   That the new SM was a party to the affair speaks volumnes about her lack of concern for dad's kids.

He said he looked after her kids to get dad and SM off his back. 

secret's picture

Love is more complicated than that, and you KNOW it. We're only aware in this case that the last year of their marriage was crap and something went down. We don't know the specifics..  for all we know, maybe she backed off when she found out she was still married... maybe he moved out and waited until papers were signed. We simply do not know.. and neither does the kid.

Loving someone despite their situation does not mean lack of concern for the kids...it means love is love. We ALL love someone despite a bad situation.

He specifically responded TO YOU and said he saw they were struggling and decided to help. Maybe "off his back" meant that if he helped them with homework he didn't have to do as many chores. Teens say their folks are on their back for a number of reasons, and it's unfair to assume it was regarding the teen watching the kids... jeez my own kid tells me to get off her back when I tell her to clean her room.

Yeah so the order of how things happened wasn't ideal for anyone... but it seems like both mom and dad are now happy... and the teen isn't. The OP has the right to feel shafted of course... nobody said otherwise. 

You, on the other hand, are throwing assumptions around like it's a done deal, and you don't KNOW any more than the rest of us.

STaround's picture

YOu realize that having an affair has consequences.  One likely consequence is that your affair partner's children are not going to be want to be close with you.  Of course you can insist not his problem, but that is unrealistic.  The kid's family life gets torn apart. 

I guess some people think that actions only have consequences for stepkids, not stepmoms.  My personal favorite is people who have affairs, and then when kids do not want to be close with new SM, blame it on PAS.

It is OK to love someone, but responsible adults wait. 

Monthy098's picture

I mean I do help around the house , but she definitely isn’t my family and I made that clear to her when I met her that I will never have a real relationship with her ,though whenever I’m with my mother I do help her and SF out as much as I can as they do hold me up to some standards but since I don’t cause issue and never have issues whilst I’m in my school I’m fine , like for me helping out the people I love and care about is much easier than people who I’ve decided that it’s best to isolate from myself. 

StrawberryPie's picture

I'm really sorry you are going through all this. It's a ton of change for anybody to absorb.  

I get you are mad at your dad. And I'd recommend keeping those lines of communication open.  It's okay to tell him how you feel and why you feel that way.  He's your dad, he loves you. And he probably misses you like crazy.  

Lndsy747's picture

My opinion on cheating is that it usually happens for a reason. I'm not saying it's okay or the right thing to do ever but there is usually more to the story rather than one person sneaking around on the other in a seemingly happy relationship. The fact that your mom is in another relationship already that's fairly serious makes me think that she was not that attached to the relationship to begin with although she may have been hurt by the cheating.

I grew up in a very unhappy family environment. My parents both made a big deal about staying together for the kids. They thought it was what was best for us and I don't hold it against them but I remember thinking many many times that I would much rather see them happy with somebody else.

I agree with the majority of people here that I understand why you're upset but I think that you are young and likely don't have all the facts or the maturity to truly understand the situation. I would recommend keeping in touch with your dad, making an effort to get to know his wife, and getting into therapy to help deal with the emotions you're feeling.

ndc's picture

There is a lot of truth in this.  My DH's ex-wife cheated on him.  Multiple times, with multiple partners.  If you were to ask him if they divorced because of her cheating he would say no.  He says her cheating was a symptom of other problems.

shamds's picture

him with her ex high school sweetheart. She married the ex high school sweetheart barely after a week the divorce was finalised and the ex high school sweetheart left his wife to marry my husbands exwife.

did any of my husbands 3 kids call their stepsiblings dad a whore? Of course not. Did they call their mum a cheater? Of course not. Part of being a mature individual is accepting people make choices, poor ones at times and thats their choice.... 

whatever crap adults do i do not condone telling their children about stuff like them cheating, having affairs etc... that is between the 2 adult partners to deal with. Bringing their kids into these issues is a manipulative tactic to guilt people, shame them etc. If they don’t want to admit it so be it but seriously, it would be pretty obvious if someone was with a married person isn’t it. 

As a 15 yr old in the eyes of the law, you are not old enough to make these adult decisions so you don’t get to demand and choose who your go to live with.  Also a potential stepdad or your stepdad is not your bro, he is a parent figure which makes me think this stepdad has come across as the “we’re mates type” while your dad has firmly told you your place in his life and a court order exists saying you have to live with him at times.

when you are an adult, you can make whatever decision you want but that means bugger all if you have done nothing to make yourself independent. Have you thought how you will afford a place to live, food, what job you will have, further education or are you hoping your mum will provide a home indefinitely 

also its selfish of you to demand that your parents should have no more kids with their current partners or spouses. Thats not your place just as its not your place to have your parent how many and if you can have kids etc.. parents do not ever need permission and blessings from their kids to have more kids. If they can care and provide for them thats great but never should they need to run this by you. Thats a very selfish narcissistic thing to do 

Monthy098's picture

All I really want is to start anew away from my Father and his family , I did say some horrible things that likely did hurt and that’s not ok.

But I just want to be left in peace with my mother and her new boyfriend , I don’t want his money , his  love nothing from him.  My SF and mother even told me that if I want to it may be possible to change my legal name so that I won’t even have his surname  and I just don’t want anything from him nor his wife , I don’t want to break up that marriage I  want him to have his new family , but to respect that I have my family too and to go our separate ways. My mother and I aswell as my grandparents (both from his family and my mother family) managed to sort of twist his arm ( is this how you use this idiom?) into letting my mother have custody and leaving  , he is really unhappy and sad about this but he finally caved . 

As for my SM and her kids , she did try to be nice to me and did try to get me to have a warm relationship with her , but every single time I politely told her that I don’t wish to have a relationship with her and her daughters , though I do my best to help her around the house and did help her daughters , wioch się go against what I originally wanted but I just don’t want a conflict with her besides I generally do help everyone around me so why’d that be different.Honestly I just wanted her to be indifferent to me.

Also when I came on here I was literally scared to death and you can even say that I was shitting myself , as I never really published anything about myself online and just lurked the internet , I didn’t want to talk to anyone outside of my family about this at least not without having a layer of anonymity that the internet provides. Still I’m really thankful that  the community here   took the time to hear me out and treat me kindly.

STaround's picture

In the states, you will likely have to wait till you are 18 to change your name, if your father wil not agree.  Other than that, sounds like you are a great kid. Get on the plane and do not look back.

I suspect your dad may regret some of the decisions he made, but not  your problem.

Husband's wife's picture

Your SM is really lucky and finally, your farther too. He will grieve a bit now but he will be able to build a new, healthy family. It is best for everyone: you, your mom, farther and of course the stepmom. Excellent choice, I would love  my husband’s kid acting the same way

EvilStepMom1977's picture

I have a hard time telling anybody to leave Europe and move to the US, let alone Texas.  Austin maybe, but even then...

Our president is a piece of garbage and Texas is an alternate universe.

I'm not a fan of home-wrecking twats, but Jesus. Texas?  If you've enjoyed the things that living in Europe has to offer, I don't think you'll like it.  You seem pretty educated and well spoken.

I live in Utah and I have to constantly tell myself at least that's not Texas.

Rags's picture

You are a very mature and thoughtful young man considering what you have experienced.   

Though I am not a COD (Child Of Divorce) I believe strongly that adultery is as much disloyalty and betrayal  toward children as it is toward a spouse and I completely understand the position you are taking as well as  your opinion of your characterless father and his whore of a new wife.

My XW was an adulterous whore so I understand the pain of betrayal that you and your mother are feeling at the hands of your father and his cheat partner.  My SS-26's BioDad cheated on his mom (my wife) and spawned 3 more also out of wedlock children by two more baby mamas.  We spent decades confronting the characterless crap and manipulation that the Spermidiot and SpermClan targeted at my SS.  We commited to protecting him from the manipulations of his father and the rest of the SpermClan.

Live your life young man.  Protect yourself as much as you can, take the lessons you are observing and make your life one that avoids the mistakes that the adults in your life are making.   It appears that your mom has chosen to move on and make a life with a good man.  That is a blessing that will pay large dividends for you and your mom and also your StepDad in the long run.

I am hopeful that you and your father can figure out how to have a relationship that works for both of you.  If your dad has children with your SM I also hope that you can accept them as your siblings.  They will be as much victims of the travesty your father has initiated as you are.

Welcome to the USA young man.  You will love Texas.  A state where once you reach adulthood you can do as you wish with minimal interferance by government or anyone else.  We need more immigrants like you and your mom.  People who come for the opportunity to make what they want of themselves.  Your SF is a military veteran and a Doctor.  You would serve yourself well to emulate his example and seek his counsel.

Good luck and take care of  you.