You are here

Stepsiblings and borrowing stuff

BlendingOilAndWater's picture

Hi

I have 4 kids and my SO has two. SO has recently moved in with us though we've been together 6 years and have lived together before (then lived separately for a few years due to work commitments). He has his kids e/o weekend and some of the holidays. He used to have his kids here but now that he lives with us he has then in their home town a couple of hours away (works well..he gets quality time with his kids, I get quality weekend time with mine and we don't have to put up with a six-kid household every two weeks).

So, this weekend he decides he's going to take his kids camping while he's there. So, he asks me if I can ask my ex for his sleeping bag. They're on good terms, he could ask himself but it's easier to put me in the middle! Only knows the meaning of the word boundaries when it suits him! He then says, at the dinner table in front if my kids, "oh, yeah, where are the other two sleeping bags, I need those for the kids". They belong to my daughters (a gift from their Grandma) and I see my daughter's face drop.

So the next day I casually mention to him that he might want to ask permission before taking the sleeping bags.

So, today, he us preparing his stuff to leave and he goes to ask my 14 year-old for her sleeping bag. She says "I don't know". I don't hear the rest of the conversation but he comes down, tells me he doesn't need to borrow anything from anyone and storms off. Nice way to start the weekend!

I then lose the plot, and scream at my daughter. Wrong, I know (not her fault he stormed off instead if just letting me talk to her).

So on one hand I feel embarrassed that my daughter has essentially said no to his kids borrowing her sleeping bag and in the other hand I feel that is her prerogative.

When he called to apologise for storming out, I tried to explain that my kids can't be expected to feel the same way about his kids as they do about him. They would do anything for him but not necessarily for his kids. But that just offended him even more.

I try to explain to my kids that it must be tough for his kids always having to borrow stuff from us (they ALWAYS arrive without key things like hairbrushes, swimsuits, etc and my kids always have to loan their things) but sometimes I feel like my kids also have it tough. They share their space, their toys, their clothes and it never happens the other way round.

I had to buy his daughter a new hairbrush a month ago and he was really upset that I wasn't happy about her borrowing mine. All four of my kids had had lice earlier that month and I did NOT want to take the chance if her getting them. Then, despite me telling her to leave the brush here, she takes it home and two weeks later comes asking me to borrow a brush again. And he felt it was unreasonable for me to be upset.

Now that they will be spending a lot less time here (apart from another whole week soon) these problems will be less frequent but how do I get it across to SO that borrowing things is a privilege and not a divine right!

Or am I completely wrong here?

Help!

I feel really bad for screaming at my daughter. I was angry with him for assuming everything is "communal". It's like nothing is allowed to be mine. That makes me selfish...and I'm not, neither are my kids. There are just certain things I prefer not to share.

I guess I just felt that she let me down because it caused an argument but that's not her responsibility. It's really hard to get across to SO that his kids aren't "entitled" to everything. He takes it all so personally.

It's tough being in the middle all the time and trying to keep everyone happy.

I have tried in the past to get him to see that he actually places his own kids in a difficult position by making the relationship so one-sided. They arrive, he starts making demands so that they feel "at home" and my kids end up hating his kids. It's very hard even to talk about our kids because he is VERY defensive. I pretty much understand that is is TOUGH for stepkids on both sides and his kids probably resent the hell out of mine (and me) and deep down we resent the hell out of them. I don't expect love all-round. Respect, yes. Love, no. But he just finds that so hurtful, like if we don't love his kids, we don't love him.

I will apologise to my daughter. It's not her fault the peace is so fragile that a stupid sleeping bag can crack it up!

Thank you.

JingerVZ's picture

Your daughter did not let you down- you let her down. You said it- it's her decision with the sleeping bag because it is her personal property. This isn't about a sleeping bag- this is about adults who should learn boundaries and respect the property of others. It is also about poor planning on your SOS part- he seems entitled to things which is just wrong. Asking means the other party has the option to say no. Demanding is when you get huffy when things don't go your way. It is petulant and childish because he is demanding something that is not his.

If he fails to plan for his kids visit - nothing is leant. It feels like an invasion of your personal space and being to hand over bathing suits and hairbrushes. That's just gross.

You need to get your SO to act like an adult because it's affecting your kids negatively. He causes shit, behaves like a child and everyone else must feel bad? No way. Get him to get his act together.

From your post you seem very reasonable in understanding where the problem lies. Try not to take your frustrations out on the kids- direct it where it belongs.

What's dup? (Sorry to be dim).

You are right about it being childish. It's not a new dynamic. There is an incredible sense of entitlement there and it is even worse with his kids. His son arrives and tells us what we're doing for the weekend. Even his daughter sees it. And if I didn't challenge it, SO would actually go along with it! He's raising a monster and I've tried to point it out bit I've backed out of that particular battle. Now he spends weekends away with his kids I am past caring about how grossly he favors his son over his daughter and gives in to his every whim. When he arrives at our house with demands, I make him do a head count. When he gets to eight, I say "that's how many voices count here... not just yours". We decide TOGETHER how we spend the weekend.

I have apologized to my daughter.

But it's tough to change an entitled person! Any ideas? Our complication is that I'm the main breadwinner and he is moving into our home and my kids have more than his kids and there's a whole lot of emotional male pride baggage in there! : ) He more than makes up for his relatively small financial contribution with romance and caring and housework but in reality he hates having to borrow stuff and ask for stuff all the time and I think the entitled attitude is actually a front. But maybe not where his kids are concerned. That seems to be a bigger, uglier monster!

AllySkoo's picture

I'm the major breadwinner in our family too, and I'll tell you my DH would NEVER act the way yours has. He would never expect me to "lend" any sort of personal item to his daughters, or to buy them replacements for things. If they didn't have it they would either go without or HE would provide it. I think maybe that, that dependency on you (and by extension your kids) to provide for his, is what's making him feel like less of a man.

You're allowing his expectations to dominate the family dynamic here, by wondering how to convince him to change. What if YOU just decided the new dynamic is that he provides that stuff for his own kids? What if you just expected it? People do live up to your expectations, and it's almost entirely attitude.

So here's what I mean:

He then says, at the dinner table in front if my kids, "oh, yeah, where are the other two sleeping bags, I need those for the kids".
YOU say, "Oh no, sorry, those belong to the girls. You'll have to buy some new ones I guess."
(Maybe you - or your girls - DO eventually let him borrow them. But you've now set up the expectation that OF COURSE he provides for his own kids. Because note that he didn't ASK the first time - it was expected. So YOU respond from your own set of expectations - that lending is NOT expected. MAKE HIM ASK. That's all you need to do as a first step.)

stepinafrica's picture

I'm sorry but your dh doesn't sound very mature. I'm glad you apologized to your daughter. In a household it is important to respect property rights. That means don't force a kid to share something. It causes resentment. You can only encourage the child to share.

It sounds like you dd is not coping well with the changes in the family. Try to spend some time talking to her to find out what is on her mind.