You are here

Stepdaughter's Wedding in TX with 200 people during COVID

Living with step misery's picture

I have to vent about my stepdaughter's upcoming 200 person wedding that we are paying for and where hardly anyone will be vaccinated and no one wearing masks. This child was raised in TX by her mom snd stepdad who do not believe in COVID and are unvaccinated. Girl unvaccinated too. Those parents engrained the girl w their political views and extreme religion and never encouraged respect or love for my husband who paid child support, flew her visits yearound, paid for her college because her TX parents claim they have no money. They also are paying nada for wedding. Daughter was asked to send invites by my husband to some of his family and she did not. She has never attended funerals for my hubby's parents when he asked her to and told her it would mean the world; she said she was too busy. Nor did she attend my husband's son college or med school graduation when we offered to pay. The brother went to her high school and college graduations to support his only sibling. She had two other siblings each frOm dif baby daddies__3 kids from 3 dif dads by a woman who is born again holier than anyone else. She got pregnant by my husband when she was still married & lied that she could not get pregnant. Now we are expected to attend wedding we paid for in COVID hotspot w no masks and no one vaccinated. Also, this girl made my wedding weekend pure hell by acting up when I took her for her nails (ran out of salon while I was still getting my nails done), told me she hated dress  shoes and purse I bought her. I'm pissed beyond belief snd my husband is afraid to tell her we are not comfy w idea of being indoors w 200 unvaccinated friends of hers (she didn't send invites to my husband's relatives) for fear she won't see him in the future. She just expects us to go, pose maskless, eat w all of them. No concern for my health or her dad's who is over 65. I don't want either of us to attend w all these folks who have been living their best lives for 1.5 years while we've stayed mostly at home snd worn masks everywhere. 

Winterglow's picture

I wouldn't go. Either you are "too busy" or you're too broke. Even if you are fully vaccinated. I was at a wedding in early August where the mother of the bride and also the groom had Covid, knew they had it and didn't have the decency to warn people. Over half of the guests came down with it (including people who were completely vaccinated), there were hospitalizations but, to the best of my knowledge, no deaths. 

Winterglow's picture

I'd just like to add that I am in a country where 72% of the population is completely vaccinated.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

I wouldn't go to the wedding, and in your situation I wouldn't be paying anything towards it either. It is probably too late on the financial front - but you can still not attend the wedding. Either make up an excuse, or just be honest.

CLove's picture

I think that any additional financial payouts to SD should also cease. Whats done is done (child support, college and now wedding), but going into the future - you will need to have high boundaries with this one.

Dont go. Dont send a gift. No more dinero$$$ the money train has stopped running.

Life is too short. Why endanger yourself for selfish self-centered brats? I mean she couldnt spare a second to include your husbands family? OH BOY. And no graduations or anything??? She sucks. Shes on her own.

This Disney Dad thing will continue forever because soon she will have children to use as emotional hostages...so, time to teach some lessons...

Powerfamily's picture

I'd see this as the final cost to get rid of stepdaughter.

If it was me I would tell DH that I would not be going, and if he goes then he has to isolate somewhere else then your home.

I don't know the rules are where you are, but here in the UK the isolation period is either 10 days or your can test on day 2 and day 5 and if they are both negative then you can come out of isolation.

tog redux's picture

There are no rules in Texas. It's a free-for-all. 

No way in hell would I go to that wedding. But I wouldn't stay with a man who throws money at a rotten adult kid, either. 

Findthemiddle's picture

The solution is simple- don't go.  Your husband can go - but you sit this one out.  No need to make a big thing about it or explain yourself - you're just not available.  It's not going to be a good experience, you won't know anyone, and she sounds like she won't care - she just wanted the money.