You are here

off the step parenting issues to the straight heart of all parents

holeekrap789's picture

A friend of mine watched her 10 yr old son leave the house on New Years eve to return an item to a neighbor. When he didn't return immediately she called authorities.
When they found his body 10 hrs. later in the middle if the night he was drowned to death. Frozen in a private pond. He had appearantly fallen through the thin ice and didn't survive past the first few minutes.
I attended the funeral today. I have never seen so much heartache as what a family goes through when such a bright delightful young boy dies for what appears to be "no good reason".
Please keep this family and their loved ones in your prayers it will take a lot of healing for the whole community to get through this. Especially one of the best and most devoted mothers/stepmothers I have ever known.
In memory of Blake Dunn.
Thanks

bama step mom's picture

My heart and prayers go out to your friends family. Sometimes life seems to make no since at all. Pulling together and having strength and faith in something more powerful then us gives us all a feeling of hope. A life taken so young...reasons we may never understand.

@>--bama step mom

mommiewegot5's picture

you do not know me but i am the mother of blake dunn i just wanted to say thank you for your kind words and prayers they are appreciated

Sasha's picture

It is always tragic when faced with an unexpected death, more so when it's a child. Parents are not built to bury their children. I lost my beloved brother last February and my mother is just devastated.

I don't envy your friend for what she will be facing. I will pray that God brings her peace of mind and heart.

marie diebel's picture

I would just like to say thank you to everyone for all the love and support i have received over these past 25 days,while no words can express the hurt i feel over losing my son. the love and support makes it a little easier to make it through the days.i know the lord will help me stay strong for my other children though i must admit i feel like the worst mother on the planet must of the time. i just found this site today. and just wanted to say thank you.

Sasha's picture

Dear Marie:

Please accept my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your son. I think it's only natural, albeit unwarranted, that you feel like there was something you could have done to prevent what happened. You will keep yourself up at night with all the would haves, could haves, should haves. I know, because I watch my mother doing the same exact thing after my brother passed away. She feels guilty about not going to stay with him after he was released from the hospital, but the truth is her presence wouldn't have changed the outcome.

I know it's not the same in your situation, but please, PLEASE do not punish yourself with all the what ifs. What happened is not your fault and it does not make you the worst mother on the planet. Sometimes things happen for reasons we just don't understand, and sometimes there's just no answers to the question WHY?

Continue to rely on your family and friends for the support you will surely need during your time of grief. I know what it has been like losing my precious brother, but I will never understand the grief of losing a child. The heartache you now feel may never go away, but with time that hurt will lessen. Believe it or not, there is light at the other end of the tunnel. Take one day at a time, rely on your family and friends to help you through this difficult period, and keep your faith in God.

If you ever want to talk, please, please feel free to send me a private message.

May God's peace be with you and your family, and Godspeed, Blake Dunn.

everythinghappens4areason's picture

I can't imagine how you are dealing with this...words are so hard to find when one faces something so terrible, especially involving a child so young and precious. Shed some happy tears as you remember Blake's smile as he now watches over you and your family. God bless you. We are here to offer you any support you need to help you through this.
Hugs,
Corie

Sita Tara's picture

Our kids have no idea how hard it is to let them have the most simple of freedoms, do they.

This brings to mind one of the best quotes about motherhood I know.

"Making the decision to have a child-it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
~Elizabeth Stone

Blake's mom...My heart and hands reach out to you.

Peace, love, and red wine