You are here

A step child stops coming

ladybug1974's picture

HI i tried to look and see if this was a topic but i didnt see anything. What age can a child decide not to come over for the weekend or parent decide not to take them on visitation in BC ?  Please and thank you 

lieutenant_dad's picture

A non-custodial parent never has to take their visitation time. A custodial parent who leaves a child with the non-custodial parent for an extending period of time (like, months on end) risks having their custodial parent status revoked and becoming the non-custodial parent.

Kids having a say in visitation is not clearly defined. It is difficult to enforce a custody order with a16 year old with a job and a car. However, a child who is dependent on their parent to facilitate visitation should stick to the custody agreement. In this case, the custodial parent has the obligation to make the child available to the non-custodial parent during their custody time AND th responsibility to facilitate a healthy relationship with that parent (really, the NCP should be doing the same, too).

ladybug1974's picture

OK thank you, the 15 year old is getting a summer job and was not sure how it would with the weekends with us, he mentioned he might not come on those days if he wanted to work is all. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

Does your DH live close enough that he can take and pick up the 15 year old from work? If so, then that's not really an excuse on SS's part to not see his dad on weekends. However, if this is a summer job, you, DH, and SS could negotiate a different schedule. Maybe one weekend a month with you all and DH visits for a weekly dinner or something.

I stopped overnights at my dad's house when I got my license. I spent more time at work and school and with friends than I did either of my parents. I saw my mom more because her house was my primary residence, but my free time was spent out of the house as much as possible.

ladybug1974's picture

Yes i agree once he starts working more and driving and hanging out more with freindsa im sure it will be less time, 

ESMOD's picture

If the kid is 15, I would imagine if he worked on a custody day.. he would come for custody to your home.. and go to work from there.. or go to your home after work if exchange time was during his shift.

It's 10 minutes away.. so I would expect his father would be just as supportive of him working PT as his mom would be.. providing rides on his days if needed etc..

Harry's picture

Then he is going to make up the money DS loses by not working.?  The law is one thing, having DS mad at his father because he doesn't have money to go out, fool around, buy thing you don't want to give him. 

Kids grow up, remember when you were a kid.  You want to hang out with your GF not your parents.  Just on these boards you get kids who don't grow up, and rather hang with there parents because they can not get a Gf or BF

ESMOD's picture

I don't think there is an expectation that kids and parent has to spend ever waking minute together during visitation.. of course they should be able to meet their normal routine things like a PT job shift.. visiting friends etc.. Perhaps if the NCP has relatively little custody time.. they might not want to allow the kid to do sleepovers but having the kid live in the house..but also allowing them to see GF.. work etc.. that makes sense I think.  No reason for the boy not to come over due to his job.. just not for the work shift. .he can be there before and/or after for the balance of the visitation weekend.  And I do think dad should provid transport if the kid needs that too.. part of being a parent.  Surely his mom is doing it all the other time.

Evil4's picture

Hello from a fellow BC resident!

My SS29 came to our house when he was 14 and refused to go back to BM's. I'm not sure if BM could do anything about it or not but she didn't put up a fight. It wasn't long before my SD stayed at our place more and more. The SKs were teens by then so there wasn't concern about a parent PASing a younger child into avoiding the other parent's house.