You are here

SS7 wants to sleep with daddy

newmommy05's picture

Is it normal or common for a 7 turning 8 year old to want to sleep with their dad? Last time we had SS we were all at dh's parents house for the weekend and SS threw a fit and wouldn't sleep on his own mattress on the floor beside the pull out couch bed dh and I were sleeping on. He begged dh to let him sleep on our bed. At first dh said no but obviously a little bit of whiny wears him down quick and pretty soon dh looked at me with sad puppy dog eyes to let his son sleep on the bed with us. I was so uncomfortable the whole night.many can't dh hold his ground and tell his son NO!

DeeDeeTX's picture

I think it can be, especially if the parents have never put a stop to it, it may have been used in the past for comfort, and the child is still struggling with a traumatic experience (divorce).

It's not the kids fault, and the kid isn't abnormal. Dad needs to break this habit, but gently.

Something like telling the kid he'll lay down with him for 15 minutes, but that's it. And if the kid tries to climb in with him in the middle of the night, carrying him back to his own bed.

LilyBelle's picture

If the child is accustomed to co-sleeping, it is normal.

It is perfectly normal and accepted in the majority of world cultures, and was the norm in Western Culture until just the past few centuries.

However, you are not biologically related, and clearly you are not comfortable with it. Your feelings must be considered.

Take care of you! Talk with your SO and find a solution that all can be happy with.