You are here

Spoiled brat or mental illness you be the judge

Alexusmaine's picture

My SO is in Denial to himself and/or everyone regarding SS12 IMO.  I've know SO/SS12 for 6 years. For those 6 yrs SS12 has always been "Difficult" to say the least. Huge over the top screaming/ crying meltdowns over tiny issues which still happen at 12 years old. SS12 has been Diagnosed by social workers and psychiatrists for mood disorders and on medication since I've known SS. SO thinks SS12 is just Spoiled and blames BM for Babying him and that nothing Mentally is really wrong with SS. SO has voiced his Opinions to the therapists but they will not change their diagnosis with SS. SO feels BM has "Manipulated" the therapists into believing something is wrong with SS so BM has an excuse for her crappy parenting results. 

I totally agree that BM Coddles SS to much BUT can multiple therapists be fooled into believing a kid has a Serious mood disorder by one parent when it's just a kid that's a spoiled brat?

Rumplestiltskin's picture

Might be both? Even if BM coddles him, he can still learn to behave with his dad if his dad holds him to behavior standards. If he truly has a mental illness there may still be times he "loses it", but unless it is extremely severe he can still behave most of the time. Is he in regular education at school? He might have depression, anxiety, bipolar, or something else. A lot of people have mood disorders and live fairly normal lives.