You are here

SO always wants me to be the bad guy with his daughter

Ohpeachy's picture

SD is 6, typical spoiled child of divorce. Daddy usually gives her everything she asks for.... But now that I'm around he will say yes to things that he knows I will say no to so that I can be the bad guy. We have two dogs already, SD also has two dogs at her moms house and she just asked if we could get another. I've been complaining to SO lately that I'm the one always cleaning up and caring for the dogs we currently have, so he knows I definitely don't want a third. But instead of telling her no he says "I'll talk to step mom and see what she says". So. Frustrating.

notsobad's picture

I agree with Echo.
Who cares if you are the bad guy, you get to have rules and sanity in your home. I also agree with beating him to the punch and telling SD that Daddy said No.

Hopefully he won't contradict you in front of SD and say wait, I now say yes!
If he does you will have a whole new bag of problems.

Cocoa's picture

And this is just the beginning of throwing you under the bus. My ball less wonder did it constantly to me with his ex, his kids and his family. Hope this doesn't become a pattern for you

Ohpeachy's picture

I love dogs, I'm a dog person. The talk about getting another dog has come up on the past and I said 3 dogs is just way too much. One dog was mine before I met SO. The other dog was his that he bought for his daughter. This dog is 100 lb and has a double coat, I'm sweeping or vacuuming the floors twice a day because of her fur and I'm the only one that feeds her, brushes her, lets her out. Now SD says she wants her own new puppy (even though the big one is hers) but I just know she won't take care of it.

Ohpeachy's picture

He's around... He works hard, don't get me wrong but he works from home so he's definitely around. Luckily the big dog likes to do her own thing and doesn't require a whole lot of human affection. It's just the constant cleaning up after her fur that drives me bonkers.

Ohpeachy's picture

He never did. Even before I moved in... He had a roommate that would put food out whenever he thought the dog was hungry. House was always a mess and dog hair was everywhere. We both work from home... But I do 100% of the housework, cooking and dog care. My compromise is that I don't clean his daughters room, her play room or his office. If they leave a mess in the main living areas, I take the mess and put it in those rooms and shut the door lol. That way I only have to worry about maintaining the master, kitchen, living, dining and bathrooms. Works for me

Ohpeachy's picture

He never did. Even before I moved in... He had a roommate that would put food out whenever he thought the dog was hungry. House was always a mess and dog hair was everywhere. We both work from home... But I do 100% of the housework, cooking and dog care. My compromise is that I don't clean his daughters room, her play room or his office. If they leave a mess in the main living areas, I take the mess and put it in those rooms and shut the door lol. That way I only have to worry about maintaining the master, kitchen, living, dining and bathrooms. Works for me

Ohpeachy's picture

I can't totally deny the Disney dad part, we have his daughter almost 50% of the time. But he does work hard and makes the majority of the money in our household. If I could stand to live in a messy house I would just stop cleaning but it's not worth it to me. I've been looking for work outside of the house and when that does happen he has acknowledged that I will need help around the house. I can't be the only woman that does all the housework??? Lol

Ohpeachy's picture

He's a successful realtor. I'm a realtor as well, I basically do all the admin work and help with showings, open houses, appointments. But he's the one picking up clients.

Ohpeachy's picture

Occasionally he will make food. When his office or daughters room gets way too messy he will tidy them up he will do yard work about once a year (we don't have grass to cut, he put a deck and pavers in the whole backyard). That's really all I can think of at the moment

Ohpeachy's picture

I think I feel like I have to overcompensate on the house work because he makes the majority of the money.

Tuff Noogies's picture

buy a dustmop. one at least 2 1/2" wide. trust me, i've lived most of my life with horrible shedders and a dustmop is a sanity saver, takes virtually no time at all.

aside from that tip, your dh really needs to do more around the house.

notsobad's picture

Well, now you have the perfect response.

Sorry, sweetie but Daddy doesn't look after the dog you already have. Until he and you start feeding him and walking him and brushing him and cleaning all the hair there's no way we can get another dog.

Ohpeachy's picture

Lol that's exactly what was said. But she says her dog is too big for her, which it is. But that doesn't mean we just get a new one... My personal dog is a little one and he plays with her and sleeps with her when SD is here. I still do all the caretaking but it's her best buddy. Problem is SD is a bossy little thing and wants to drag my dog around on a leash around the house which I do not think is appropriate way to treat animals so I don't allow it, and still wouldn't allow it for "her" dog!

notsobad's picture

Hahaha, great minds!

Good luck, I hope you don't fold and both SD and DH stop bugging you about it.

Teas83's picture

My husband sometimes puts me in a similar position because he doesn't want to be the one to say "no" to SD8. I try to be disengaged for the most part, but if something affects me, our DD3 or our household in general, then I speak up. If SD does something that has an impact on me, I'll tell my husband about it and ask him to correct it. He often doesn't want to because he doesn't want to be the mean parent, so he tells me to deal with it.

I used to care about how SD felt and I used to worry about what she would tell BM or GBM about me, but I really don't care anymore. I'm perfectly fine if SD thinks I'm "mean" and runs to BM about it. I know I'm not doing anything wrong by telling the children in my house how to behave.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about being the parent who always says "no" or has to enforce the rules in the house. You are an adult in your home which means that you get to make the decisions.

AlreadyGone's picture

I remember the scapegoating bull$hit my XH pulled on me. }:) I like what Echo suggests. Put it back on him. Wink

Ohpeachy's picture

Well it just bites him in the butt. One minute he wants me to be the bad guy cause he doesn't want his kid mad at him, and the next minute he doesn't like that I withdraw myself when she's around. I'm okay with it, but don't expect us to be a happy family unit when he's making me the odd man out.

sammigirl's picture

If you are the nice (good) SM, it won't work; you are going to be the bad guy, no matter. If I were you, I would say "NO" to the third dog and anything else that gives you more work.

Your SD6 is getting old enough to begin doing a few supervised household chores. I found that making a list of chores, (dumping trash, helping with your dogs, cleaning up after herself, loading the dishwasher with "her" dirty dishes, etc.) that fit your SD's age, and posting them for her to do, with "good job reward's" works very well. That would definitely include cleaning up after herself, beginning NOW. I would put DH in charge of the supervising, when he is home, you can assist as well; but most of it, I would put on DH.

You can reward her with gold stars beside the task on the list; when she earns ????number of stars, there is another reward for her (makes you the good guy). Vary the chores and rewards; therefore, it never gets into a rut. You will find it keeps her busy and she will begin learning at this early age.

You need to learn to delegate to DH and SD in a fun way for them, thus relieving you of the small chores and the stress these two are causing you. It won't get well, unless you begin something; this is just a suggestion. I call it "a method to your madness".

Keep us posted.

Ohpeachy's picture

Thanks for the advice! I have suggested chores before. I can't get her to do them. SO is a very messy person so it never crossed his mind to put her garbage in the garbage, or dirty dishes in the dishwasher, or dirty clothes in the dirty laundry bin because he doesn't even do any of those things.
I used to ask her to pour herself a glass of water for dinner, and then he would do it for her and I would say "she can't pour herself a glass?" And he said "she could, but I can too".
In the last two years that we have lived together, I have seen him ask her to tidy her room twice. And that's basically throw all clothing in drawers and all toys in the playroom.
Does anybody else have an extremely messy SO? He lived without a woman in the house for 5 years and it broke his house training lol

ESMOD's picture

My DH has done similar things with his girls and me. To be honest, on the one hand, the reason why he might say "I need to talk about it with ESMOD" is because he hasn't decided and wants my input. On the other hand, when he goes back to them with a "no" it generally means that they have a chance to think that I was the one who said no.

He is also a big one for "we will see" which almost always means "no" but he doesn't get directly to that point. In some cases it means "yes".

When the girls asked me things directly, I tried to be very honest by saying "I am not sure that is going to work, but we will look into it".

I would rather not raise their hopes. I know their dad wasn't trying to throw me under the bus, but sometimes that is what happened.

Ohpeachy's picture

That's fair. He will usually say "we will see" or "maybe" even if he knows it's not happening because he doesn't want to be the "no" guy. I have no problem saying no because I think kids need to hear it every once in a while.

Ohpeachy's picture

Ugh. SO had a meeting at 730 so I took SD6 to sparks, brought her back home, let her play with her friends and then put her to bed at 9. SO comes home at 930 and let's her get out of bed to watch a movie... And now he's going back out for another meeting.... Again making me look like the bad guy for putting her to bed when dad comes home and let's her stay up late to watch a movie. And she knows it too, she came running in my room yelling "DADS letting me stay up to watch a movie". Annoyed

Powerfamily's picture

The more you write the more it sounds like your SO didn't want a relationship he wanted a maid, cook and nanny with the added option of sex when he wanted it.

I think you really need to reassess your relationship with this man (and any others) as from what you have written HE getting everything he wants and you are getting to do all the crappy bits and none of the good bits.

Why do you accept such low standard in relationships

Ohpeachy's picture

It's definitely been difficult figuring out where I stand re: SD. He's been a single parent for so long, he doesn't know how to co-parent and maybe doesn't want to. He wants me as a girlfriend and wants us to be a unit but wants to parent her himself.