You are here

SM breadwinners/paying all the bills

christinen's picture

It seems like a lot of the SMs here are the breadwinners of their family so I was wondering what your take on this is.

I make twice what my DH makes and in the beginning, I was fine with that. As long as DH could pull his weight and support his child (& future children that we plan to have together), I didn’t care how much he made.

When we moved in together, we made an agreement on how bills would be paid and over the years, it has changed a few times (mainly due to issues DH had with paying his portion) but we finally come to an arrangement that works for both of us.

DH pays our rent and I pay the rest of our bills (electric, water, gas, car insurance, health insurance, cell phones, cable/internet/house phone, and food- I think that’s everything). I also pay almost every time we go out and I pay for our vacations (sometimes he contributes a small amount toward a vacation but I pay the majority).

Now here’s where my resentment comes in -

In August, we got SD full time. The past 2 months DH has been unable to pay the rent on his own (his ONLY bill). Last month, I had to help him with a few hundred dollars & this month, he doesn’t even have half the rent money & he is leaving me stuck paying about $700 (our rent is $1100).

Granted, his hours have been cut at work but he has not made any attempt to make more money. He doesn’t apply for new jobs, won’t look for a second job, won’t take BM to court for child support (we have SD full time and get nothing from her), and won’t file for unemployment (his boss has retaliated and fired people who filed for unemployment in the past).

I am just beyond frustrated with our situation right now. Everything is in my name so I can’t just not pay for things.

I told him how I felt and told him if he isn’t able to support SD then unfortunately she is going to have to stay with BM until he figures something out (hoping that will be a wake-up call) but he isn’t having that either. I can’t physically stop him from bringing her here I guess. He even had the nerve to tell me I am not supporting SD because she “doesn’t cost anything.” I guess he figures I am paying the bills regardless if she’s here or not, so what difference does it make.

I really just needed to vent but am open to any HELPFUL advice. I am not looking to get divorced so I would appreciate if you did not suggest that.

Thank you all for reading!

askYOURdad's picture

Here is the most helpful advice I can come up with...

You and your DH need to sit down and come up with a new plan. Everyone has money ebbs and flows and the best way to avoid conflict is to make sure everyone is on the same page.

Not sure how your money is set up, but the meeting between you and your DH should consist of a spreadsheet listing all of the fixed expenses and all of the adjustable expenses. Your DH should have print outs of his bank statements to see where his money is going. If there is enough to cover his bills and SDs expenses there really isn't any excuse, if he is coming up short and you don't mind being the breadwinner then here is what I suggest and let me preface it by saying it will not be the popular suggestion on here.

One joint account that both of your checks go into and all of your bills/savings come out of. A fixed amount of spending for your DH to cover his basic needs- fuel for his car for example. Either cash, a prepaid debit card or a regular debit card that your DH's money gets added to every payday. When he runs out, he runs out, he will learn quickly.

Suze Orman would suggest that you add up all of your bills and each pay a percentage based on your percentage of the total household income. So, if you make 75% of the household income you pay 75% of the household bills and your DH would pay 25% of the household bills.

I have to add, even though you don't want to hear about getting divorced.. which isn't my suggestion, but my suggestion is to give him a deadline to increase his income if you are becoming resentful. The resentment does not go away.

christinen's picture

Thanks for the reply! Because of DH’s financial irresponsibility, we have separate accounts. He is just responsible for paying the rent and whatever he does with the rest is up to him. I do monitor his account because we have accounts with the same bank so all the accounts are under my online banking profile.

I know for sure his income has decreased, but he still makes enough to pay the rent and have a little leftover. I don’t mind being the breadwinner; I just want him to pull his weight and support SD. I don’t feel that I should have to financially support someone else’s child.

Maybe we can try having his checks deposited into my account and then I give him what is left over after I take the rent money out. Thanks for the idea. I really don’t want to get a joint account because I don’t want him to have access to my money. I am much more conservative with spending than he is. I will also calculate everything and see what % of our incomes we are paying and see what is fair. I like that idea too.

As far as divorce, the only reason I mentioned it is because I have posted on here before about finances (among other things), and people automatically say divorce/leave him but I am really trying to work things out.

Thanks again!

askYOURdad's picture

My DH is not good with money... I am. It's not a hit on him as a person, there is plenty he is just swell at where I fall short. Luckily we are both in agreement to this so we handle our money somewhat similar to the suggestion that I gave you. Me giving him "an allowance" and paying everything has worked really well. Our checks go into our joint account and I empty it as soon as they hit- bills/savings/he gets a transfer into his account and I get one into mine. There is no left over money in the joint account for him to do anything with, but he gets to see all of the bills and the amounts. Every once in awhile he'll ask me "so what do we have in savings" and I'll tell him and he will say "this is why you handle the money" lol. It doesn't have to be a fight, just go through and kindly point out that he has enough he's not being responsible therefore you are stepping in. "If I don't do a better job in the next 3 months, we can find a new solution, I'm open to suggestions"- just make sure you do a good job Wink

christinen's picture

I agree, if there was no skid, our money would most likely be combined too.

I try not to throw things in his face but sometimes I just get so angry!

askYOURdad's picture

We seem to be on the same page a lot lately Wink

Agree with the melting pot philosophy. It has paid off because in the future, when the baby is born, I have worked out a plan for me to stay home longer then expected. Essentially, DH will be providing more when this happens. When DH made a career change and was going through school, I was providing more. As long as the end result is always what's best for our family and no one is taking advantage of the other, it isn't a pissing contest.

SMof2Girls's picture

Sounds like this DH's inability to contribute and cover bills is based on his lack of ambition to find more income and failing to pursue child support from BM. I think how they account for their money (joint or separately) is irrelevant if he's not even trying.

Orange County Ca's picture

You'd rather live with a guy who refuses to look for work when he's underemployed and expects others to clothe, feed and shelter his children. OK. By the way you and I both used the same solution to splitting expenses and my wife and I do it to this day on our retirement incomes. But she worked full time so at least did her best.

Over the eons woman were provided with room and board so to speak through marriage while she took care of the children. In the western world this custom for want of a better word has been allowed to switch genders as women have become more and more free to pursue their career choices and not having children becomes more acceptable in society.

Your kept man simply refuses to carry his own weight and has made it clear he won't do so until he's made to by some threat greater than you've wielded so far. You don't claim to have a problem financially and since you won't toss him out at least temporarily then I think you should at least claim your rightful head of household position and insist that he keep house for you. Set up an agreement whereby the cleaning, shopping and food preparation be done while you're away earning the bacon. If he fails in that also perhaps you'll see him in his true light.

bearcub25's picture

Do you have any written record of the extra costs for 1 extra person? You can show the increase of when she started living with you full time.

Just 1 extra mouth to feed is an increase. I know when Gson or SD is in an extracurricular, the gas and eating out rises since we are running at the dinner time hour.

Should be easy to make a spreadsheet of the costs and the increases.

christinen's picture

Hmm, that's a good idea! I have definitely seen an increase in our electric (she keeps her TV on all night), our water (she takes looooong showers), and of course the cost of her food. I don't specifically buy food for her, but she eats what I buy and so naturally the food doesn't last as long because there is a third person eating it. Thanks for the suggestion!

SMof2Girls's picture

Can he set up a direct deposit into your account for his rent money? My employer allows direct deposit in up to 5 different accounts.

I would really push him on the second job and child support issues though. Until he's made to suffer the consequence of his own laziness in these areas, nothing will change and your resentment will grow.

ETA: DH and I handle our finances similar to how you do. I suggested the direct deposit option because that's the only way I could get DH to regularly contribute to savings (and not turn around and spend it - he always viewed it as extra slush fund money and wouldn't leave it alone). It goes to a joint account that neither of us have transfer/debit card access to.

christinen's picture

Yes, that is what I am going to suggest next is having the rent money direct deposited into my account. He will be left with whatever he has after that is paid.

I've been getting on him about another job & CS but you are right, there have not been any consequences. I have a hard time even coming up with a consequence because the bills are in my name so I have to pay them regardless. I would love to let the cable and electric get shut off, but I don't want to mess up my own credit/account histroy in the process.

Thanks!

christinen's picture

I can't downgrade or cancel the cable because I am in the middle of a contract. I would love to do that if I could. I can call and ask about an electric/gas plan though.

I'm not sure why he's not taking me seriously.. we've been fighting about it a lot and I really freak out on him. Maybe he's just gotten used to it and it doesn't really phase him.

SMof2Girls's picture

I agree with the other poster. If he's not able to pay his share of rent, cancel the cable and internet. Disconnect his cell phone, or downgrade him to a talk/text only plan (so he can communicate with BM and SD, but no data plans).

Clearly electricity and water are essential, but there are a lot of "non-essentials" that can be cut if he's having a hard time pulling his weight.

christinen's picture

You're right, something has to go! I can't cancel cable because I have a contract and I need the internet for work (he doesn't use that anyway), but I have to find something to get rid of and let him face the consequences.

SMof2Girls's picture

Do you have a data plan on your cell? Most major carriers have a hotspot option. You can turn your phone into a wifi hotspot as you need it. You may need to bump up your data plan to cover it, but it will likely still be less overall.

Or just change the wifi password so he can't use it }:)

As for cable, might be worth giving them a call to see what you can cut to minimize your payment without ending the contract. They tend to be pretty flexible around here, and usually try to work with you to keep you as a customer.

christinen's picture

We do have data plans because we both have iPhones. I know. We got them when we were in a good spot financially. I'll have to start calling around and seeing if there's anything I can do to get these bills lowered. Any little bit would help at this point.

christinen's picture

No, BM doesn't pay child support. She has SD 1 day a week (Saturday) and she pays nothing and contributes nothing. I have been on DH since we first got her full time back in August to file for a custody modification (because legally it still says they have 50/50 which they do not follow anymore) and then once that's done, file for CS but he refuses (claims BM will just take SD more to get out of paying CS, plus BM doesn't have a job so we won't get anything anyway, blah blah blah- every excuse in the book).

I agree with everything you said except I don't feel like I should pay half the rent plus everything else. I pay all the utilities, plus I pay both our cell phones, car insurance, health insurance, and contribute to my 401k which will ultimately be OUR 401k because DH doesn't have one or any other form of savings/retirement plan. I also do all the grocery shopping and buy the food.

christinen's picture

In our case, it's been 9 months since we got SD full time. Still no action from DH on the custody/CS.

Good idea about the account. As long as DH doesn't have access to it, I am all for that.

Calypso1977's picture

My fiance makes about $12K more a year than me. however, he pays about $17K to BM in CS. i made the decision to put the difference of $5K into my deferred comp which essentially equalizes our respective take home pays.

from our take home pay, i pay the rent and he pays the utilities and buys our food. he also pays for the majority of our vacations.

it works for us.

your DH has a point in that you still have to pay the same rent whether his kid is there or not. also the increase in utilities is minimal provided you dont let her jack up the AC or Heat adn take excessive showers. Food can be a hit or miss depending upon how big of an eater she is and how much you succomb to buying expensive junk items. we did the math (and i think many here have) that it would cost SIGNIFICANLTY less to feed and house our men's children than it would be to pay the CS. i know for us my SD13 would never cost us $17K to feed and clothe.

conservation of utilities should be important for EVERYONE in the house both for financial an environmental reasons (IMO).

christinen's picture

You're right, it's not a huge difference in cost when she is here but I guess it's more of the principle. I am paying almost all the rent plus all the utilities/food and he just gets to have his kid live here for free pretty much.

I totally agree on the CS though. What bs that is. No kid costs 17k a year. That's a load of crap.

askYOURdad's picture

I wish I had an extra 17k a year tax free... my kids would be living the high life along with never having to worry about college funds.

thinkthrice's picture

Tell me about it! I never received CS for my bios but the BM receives 12K tax free in CS a year. Mr. Guilty Daddy makes very low five figures. I gross about 28% more than he does. The BM makes about my salary and her husbnd makes upper five figures. Up to now I pay ALL the bills. He buys groceries (mostly for him and booze)

Doncha just love how they "count" buying foods THEY like and booze as "contributing?"

He started paying a reasonable amount to me just recently after over 10 years of nothing. Since then, he's overdrawn yet again (probably 40 times since he moved in). Terrible with money, refuses to have a cash allowance as he views it as "demeaning" We USED to have a joint account but he would overspend on his "angels" and then get angry with me as though I were the irresponsible one!!!

Calypso1977's picture

yes, my BM's $17K tax free per year allows her to sit on her ass all day and watch soaps, fund iPhones for her, SD, her parents, drive a late model SUV, and get her hair and nails regularly done as well as massages becuase you know, she has a super stressful life working one-two days per week at most. her parents pay all her living expenses so that $17K is free and clear to just piss away.

Calypso1977's picture

oh i wish... 19 here in MA and if she goes to college full time its 23. but she wont make it into college, so 19 it is. but if she gets prego, it automatically ends and we think by 14 or 15 she will be prego.

hereiam's picture

but if she gets prego, it automatically ends

Why do you think that? I do not believe there is one state that considers pregnancy to be automatic emancipation.

AllySkoo's picture

I'm not sure where you're getting that either. My understanding is that (in MA) pregnancy does NOT equal emancipation - you'd still be responsible for CS as long as she was still living at BM's. Actually, the web site I saw said even if she gets married, if they're both living at BM's and don't have jobs you might STILL have to pay CS!! (Couldn't believe that one.) Talk to a lawyer about it if it happens I guess!

thinkthrice's picture

Preggo is not an emancipation event--in fact there have been some posters on here where biodad had to pay CS for their grandchild.

And college will take practically anyone these days--they love the $$$$ they rake in "teaching" the entitled under achievers remedial grade school. These CODs fail semester after semester and change their major more often than they change their drawers.

That's why I have very little faith in today's dumbed down educational system.

Calypso1977's picture

its written into his agreement. now what isnt clear is if it ends just from the pregancy itself or if she has to keep the baby (i.e., she has it, gives it up for adoption).

ctnmom's picture

I always catch flack when this subject comes up, I guess I'm a dinosaur from the horse and buggy days, but I just can't wrap my mind around a woman carrying the household while a man doesn't pull his weight. My MIL worked her way up in the banking world- my FIL had an 8th grade education. She made more than him most of their working lives, but he always worked 50 hours a week plus side jobs. It killed him and he always tried to catch up to her earnings! She has/had no resentment because she knew he did the absolute best he could with what he had. So if you're more educated and make more money then your DH, great, but he's NOT PULLING HIS WEIGHT if he doesn't pay for his kid. He either has to get a second job, get CS, or both. Eventually your (understandable) resentment will swallow the marriage. It seems like he wanted a meal ticket.

misSTEP's picture

I would question his statement about his employer firing people for applying for unemployment. It isn't like it cost the business any extra...they have insurance that takes care of that!

WHY IN THE HECK WOULD THE EMPLOYER FIRE SOMEONE FOR APPLYING FOR SOMETHING THEY PAY FOR WHETHER HE IS UNEMPLOYED OR NOT???

Something doesn't make sense with his logic/excuses/laziness.

Poodle's picture

If you want to stay in this situation, it has to become less expensive for you. How about cutting the entire vacations? You can have almost as much fun with day trips or short visits on your own from time to time to get together with family and friends. If you live at the rate he can afford, he may just decide he wants to live at a higher rate and then make that possible.

MEL1297's picture

This sounds so bad, but with all I go thru, and if I had to be the bread winner, I'd be out so fast. It sounds so shallow but if I'm going thru all this BM and skid bullshit, I better have a man that works his ass off and makes good money. Luckily I do or I'd be out of there SO fast. It's shallow, but I'm being honest.

I totally commend you ladies that carry the weight. You are a MUCH better person than I.

christinen's picture

Sometimes I really wonder why I do it! Like what's in it for me?

I don't think it's being shallow.. it's just that we put up with so much BS that we have certain expectations for how our DH should be.. Sometimes I feel like DH should work extra hard just because I have to deal with all his baggage!

thinkthrice's picture

I find as time goes on, the bar of expectation for biodad, BM and skids goes lower and lower and lower.

The opposite is true for SM and her bios.

MamaFox's picture

I have no real advice dear, except he needs to man the fuck up. You are not his or HER Mommy.

Eta: When my dfh and I became suddenly unemployed (The company we worked for shut down) he immediately went on unemployment, worked side jobs on the weekends, and did day labor during the week (as much as he was allowed to by the state), while I went out and got a waitressing job. With in 6 months we are both working, he at twice his old rate and me at about $3 more than my old rate.

It can be done, he is just being lazy.