You are here

SKIDS w/ Autism

nickisan's picture

I have ss7 that was recently diagnosed w/ autism/Aspberger's and ADHD. He is on medication for ADHD but his BM refuses to pay for any sort of counseling for him and my husband is just as dense. I took initiative to get this kid tested because it's obvious he was different. Both his biological parents were in denial until he started falling behind in kindergarten and wasn't potty trained until he was four (this could also be because his mother is just a complete IDIOT). I see the skids maybe once a month due to my husband's conflicting work schedule. It is extremely difficult for me to deal w/ this boy plus my own 3 yr old son and then sd9 when i'm home alone. My husband expects me to talk them in public, but frankly, his son is way too much for me to deal w/ and if he's not on his medications he listens to NOTHING! This boy is like dealing w/ another three year old and I want to lose my mind. this has caused a ton of issues w/ my husband and I because I am not a fit person for this! HELP!!!!

witsend71's picture

Oh boy. This is big. I applaud you for getting him tested. My SD24 has never been tested even though it's clear she has autism. Both bio parents in denial. They say, "She's just shy, it's not a disease". She has no independent skills whatsoever except for dressing/bathing and even that is questionable. You are going to need a lot of support. There is a website called www.care.com that can link you to people who will provide childcare/tutoring for people w/ special needs. There are a lot of services available through the Department of Developmental Services (formerly DMR). They offer respite, social skill groups, outdoor activities, etc. He needs to be socialized now before it is too late. Go to the IEP meetings at his school. Make sure he gets speech/language services for social pragmatics. Make sure he gets summer school services WITH transportation provided. You may need to bring an advocate with you. Make sure he gets testing accommodations and possibly a one to one aid or special program if he is having a lot of trouble at school.
go to www.autismservicesassociation.com

Just remember, you may not call the shots...but you can do what you can to put the information in his parents hands.