You are here

Skids are rude, manipulative, and generally unpleasant to have around

Toad35's picture

So, here's the situation. I don't have children of my own, and I live with my boyfriend with whom I have life-partner intentions. In the meantime, we have his three SKids 40% of the time. The oldest SD, 9, was from his first marriage (they divorced when she was 1), and the younger two SDs - 5 and 3 - are from his last marriage (lasted 5 years). The oldest SD is lovely - easy-going, fun, respectful. The younger two, well, let's just say I don't look forward to having them over. The main problem, as we see it, is that they don't have any rules or discipline at their BM's house. She's always refused to have rules, is indulgent, will not discipline, and always gives in to their demands.

When they were married, my boyfriend was never able to assert rules or discipline with his youngest two b/c the BM would just put her foot down and refuse. So now we find ourselves in the position of having to introduce, enforce, and be consistent with new rules and training. And when I say training, I do mean the basics: please and thank you, chew with your mouth closed, don't talk with your mouth full of food, use your utensils not your hands, you don't get dessert unless you finish dinner, no jumping on the furniture, wash your hands, no means no, etc. The youngest, in particular, is prone to tantrums and crying (usually fake) at the drop of the hat b/c it usually gets her what she wants. We've even called her on the "pretending", which she admits to. And almost everything she says is a lie, which is a whole other adventure. The 5-year old will have the same meltdowns, but she's more unpredictable. You never really know when she's going to go off.

So my issue is three-fold. 1, how do we address the bad behaviour and be consistent without being on their case ALL the time, 2, how do we deal with the fact that they might have consistency and rules in this house, but as soon as they go home to their BM they run the show, and 3, how do I keep from completely disliking my future SKids?

Help for a newbie is sincerely appreciated!

lisa510's picture

These kids are trainable. Just as they know there are rules in school, they can learn there are rules in your home --- no matter how it goes at their mom's.

Start by making small changes. Helping clean up, using good manners, and treating other people's property with respect. I don't think trying to change everything at once is wise; baby steps.

My skids are 16 and 22; now that's a challenge. You have young ones that have a chance at complying with new rules. Make slow changes NOW.

don't worry about what they do at mom's house. If mom let's them jump on the couch, they wouldn't be allowed to do it in school. Think about it. They only do what they're allowed to do. Be consistent. You'll get tired before them, but it worth a shot.

You may never like your skids. You're not obligated to like them; just care for them when they're in your care -- because you're a good person.

steptwins's picture

All of Sue2 comments are great - but re-read that last paragraph. If DH isn't aligned you will be in for a world of grief.

Toad35's picture

Thanks all for the helpful feedback. For some reason, just the notion that I don't have to like the skids all the time felt like a huge weight off my shoulders. I was feeling really guilty for feeling this way about them - and thought that maybe I'm not as fond of kids as I thought (but having been a teacher and with a huge family, I've been around kids all my life and it's generally been smooth sailing).

And as a side note, I've been able to discuss these issues with my boyfriend, and he's 100% onside with where I'm coming from. We're a solid team when it comes to his kids, and we completely back each other up with the approach we're taking. So I know that's a huge bonus and something else I'm really grateful for. I know how different parenting approaches can really make things go sideways in a hurry.

In any case, I'm taking away some great ideas and encouragement from your replies, so MANY thanks for taking the time to respond. It's sincerely appreciated!