You are here

skid finally gone, now I exist?

forever2's picture

Have to start my day with a story shared with my steptalk co-suffers....Had skid11 for 5 verrrrrrrrry long days over Thanksgiving break. Of course for BF it was heaven on earth. Thank goodness for me, I got to go to work (ironic being thankful for work over a holiday) so BF had 5 days to fall all over his kid, buy him crap he doesn't need, hold his hand strolling thru the mall, buy ice cream for the fat brat (whoops, forgot to bring me home a scoop), play video games like 11 year old buddies and on and on. The little bit of the holiday I was around too, they spent snuggled on the couch like lovebirds watching football and giggling like little girls. I literally cannot sit on my own couch when skid is there. Skid lies down with his legs and feet in dad's lap while dad massages him :sick: When I suggest that maybe I would like to sit on the couch with BF, I get hammered with insults about how I am so selfish and how I am asking BF to abandon his child. I guess not only do I get affection only on the non-skid days, but I also only get to sit on my couch on non-skid days too. I don't bother much anymore, so I retreat upstairs and watch TV alone with the happy couple occupies the living room. Then they decide to go to the field to throw the football around. What's wrong with our huge backyard? Probably the fact that I am there! Then I get to hear the rest of the day how wonderful football was with his kid and now they are going to do that much more often.
Oh, I got carried away and almost forgot the punchline....so after getting the usual lecture last night about how I want BF to abandon his kid because I ask for a little affection, and after BF punished me by staying downstairs watching even more football and not coming to bed until 3am, and after I try to say goodbye to BF this morning but then skid pops his head out of his bedroom door, so of course BF runs up to kiss and hug him good morning while I am in mid-sentence.....after all that I get a text message from BF at 7:50am "I love you more than anything." I briefly think, oh, he is sorry, he misses me, he realizes he was a jerk the past 5 days. Then I realize, it is 7:50, skid left for school at 7:45 and won't be back until Thursday. He has lost his little lovebird and has only me for 3 whole days and even though he expects me to be alone for the 50% of time he has skid, he can't stand 5 minutes being alone himself! The second skid is out the door, I exist again, just like I fail to exist the moment he walks into the house. Typical.

forever2's picture

stepmomto2, I have to ask you this. Once the older skids were finally out of the house and had "turned their backs on you," did your life get better? Was your BF/hubby more devoted to your biological child and to you? Could you finally live a normal family life just the three of you, or was he still preoccupied with this older and gone kids? If BF and I have kids, there will be a big age difference too. I get the feeling our kids would never compare to what BF feels for his first and that almost makes me cry to think about. But with the age difference (our kids shouldn't be more than 5 when skid goes to college) it is my hope that they will never feel abandoned by their father or like second best. I know what second best feels like, and if I know my kids will feel that way because of skid, I think best to not even have them. Anyway, your situation is similar to mine so please tell me how life is now.

Also, you were lucky to be included by your man. All I hear is "We are going to throw the football around." "We are going to the gym," "We are going to the mall." We, We, We. Then afterwards when I am sad, BF says, "Wish you could have gone with us." Yeah right, am I that dumb? You didn't even ask! I know when I am not wanted and at this point I honestly feel like I should have an apartment for myself to go to on the days when skid is around. Things might be different if it was a threesome rather than a twosome...plus me in the background.

DaizyDuke's picture

OMG, this sounds like my 5 day "vacation" My DH did go shopping with me for a couple of hours on Black Friday, but other than that the 5 days was all about SS and the two of them going hunting, running to the store, sitting on the couch and watching TV while I lay upstairs in bed crying myself to sleep. I just posted a big old sob story about my 5 days.. while it sucks that you had a craptastic holiday too, I guess it helps to know that I am not the only one feeling sorry for myself.

I too have been thinking.. WTF? If I am going to be by myself all the time, then I might as well just get my own place and be by myself with no hurt feelings, no expectations, etc. then maybe I won't get so upset???

Jsmom's picture

I learned to just be out of the way on the week that SS is here. I give them the opportunity to do things together. I hibernate in my office or my room. I get to read and do what I like since my son is pretty self-sufficient. I resented this at first, but now I have made it work for me. I work out on that week more and I shop more. When they are not home during the day, I get a lot of work done and then enjoy my evening more.

You need to understand that this is their relationship as disfunctional as it seems to us, it is theirs. Just learn to find a way to make that time work for you and it will get easier. I actually resent it less now and look forward to it. They can sit and watch all the wierd shows with DH that I don't like and then we have the stuff that we both like on our week.

oneoffour's picture

If I were you I would see nothing redeming or even slightly attractive about a grown man who ignores his partner for his child. Now if he saw him 2x a year, OK I would give them space. But if he is seeing him regularly I would expect some attention. Heym, even a pt on the bum would be better than nothing but accusations and ignorations (I just made up a word!)

I would move out and continue to date him around his sons schedule. He will not change so why make yourself miserable?
The child will milk this for all he is worth and you will never be more than a back up date.

Although there is something quite odd about a man who needs undying attention or interaction. It seems he is either with his son and throwing himself into that relationship and leaving you out or when the boy is gone you get all the attention. And the feet rubbing makes me VERY creeped out.

Butterflykissesandlicks's picture

Funny that you posted this. I just went through the same crap this weekend as well. I felt like barfing the whole time. Want to know what is wrong? ALL of our feelings are the way they are because these situations are not natural...

It is hard to fight nature and act in a way that feels wrong. You are being invaded, played, and used as a convienent wife, just like myself.

DH goes from dumb disney dad to Romeo as soon as SD6 leaves or goes to bed. Guess what DH did not get at night for 3 days? I told him "why" last night before I passed out from exhaustion. This is anything but an easy ride...

forever2's picture

Thank you Oneoffour. To see a father rubbing the feet of his overweight, smelly, prepubescent boychild makes me want to vomit (did I mention he has warts? :sick: ). When I come home and see that scene on the couch, I can't describe the feeling. Part of me feels like, whoops, I interupted something, as if I walked in on two teenagers making out. They both just look up at me, BF's face saying, "What?, he comes first." and skid's face saying "Ha ha loser, I come first." And what kind of 11 year old boy wants that much physical affection from his dad? At six, maybe, but 11, almost 12? All I want to do is turn around and go back to whereever I came from. I guess I am too polite, so I just go upstairs to the bedroom, don't even take off my coat, and stay there until the scene has passed. It is just so revolting.

And Daisyduke, you sound like me too. Why is it that we are crying in the bedroom and our men really couldn't care less? How did that happen? Imagine if their little angels were crying, they would fall over themselves to soothe them...but we can cry our eyes out as long as it isn't so loud as to interupt their quality skid time. Its so backwards. I always wish that some of you on steptalk were my neighbors, and when skid was over and I didn't exist to BF, I could come over, hear that you were being ignored and crying your eyes out too, and we could take a walk, catch a movie, and bitch about our lives over a good coffee. I am sure there are others close amongst us, but how do you find them? Knock, knock, hi, I'm forever2. My BF treats me like sloppy seconds and I can't stand skid. Want to be my friend??

MadeMyBed's picture

I always get the "I have them such a miniscule amount of time" blah, blah, basically why cant I lay off him for the time the SSs are here?