You are here

SKID AND CLASS RING

windee's picture

Ok, I agreed that skid should get a class ring but I was thinking in the 300-400 dollar range, DH and I have not been able to discuss the amount yet. Skid checks out Jostens today and tells us that skid likes the ring called ice or something and that it costs 1,200.00 & it's the ONLY one that skid likes, of course!!! And that's the lower priced one from what he was looking at earlier, skid said. SERIOUSLY?! :jawdrop: :sick:
I immediately said NO! Then skid proceeded to show me that it was prob b/c of the 10 karat gold on the ring (of course it couldn't possibly be all of the large diamonds all over the damn ring). Skid said that there was a small and med one but that skid didn't like them. OF COURSE!! I told him again that that was too much try going a hell of a lot lower, DH just asked to see which ring it was and what skid liked. DH also said that we would be getting it next year. Skid cannot take care of anything, Way cheaper things!!! Am I Being a cheapskate? Skid just loses EVERYTHKNG AND IS JUST HORRIBLE WITH TAKING CARE OF THINGS!

BethAnne's picture

So I just looked up what class rings are and what they are for, they seem like a bit of an odd tradition to me as an outsider. Anyhow, I think that your offer of a $3 - 400 ring is more than generous. I don't have any jewelry that costs more than that including my engagement and wedding rings and both of those were bought for me by my husband. I think the most expensive piece of jewelry my parents ever bought me was about $150 probably.

If you wanted you could give the kid the cash or a gift card for $300 to get the ring they want, and they can decide if they want to put their own money towards the ring or if they will by a cheaper one and pocket the difference.

But stand firm, $1200 is ridiculous. And if your husband buys the stepkid a $1200 ring, you deserve some jewelry that costs twice as much....

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Class rings are outrageously expensive - especially for something that will probably only be worn a year or two.

My SD has expensive taste. We gave her a dollar amount that we were willing to spend, and told her if she wanted something more expensive she would have to pay the difference herself. She settled for what we were willing to pay. She wore it part of her senior year and I've never seen it since.

I can't imagine spending 1,200 for a senior ring!

twoviewpoints's picture

Very unimpressed with what Jostens is pushing these days. Are you sure the ring skid looked at were even true diamonds? Most 'stones' DD15 just had in their brochure were lab created. We played 'show n tell' at my house when the brochure came home then wet over to the school for the parent peek night. Pffft. My old 1976 Jostens put these class rings to shame.

Anyway, I didn't order DD one. She was told with she wanted a ring we'd be shopping for a ring that she would get longer use from. I was far from the only parent in her class to make that offer. Some of the parents were informing their kids, they'd pay $200-$300 towards the class ring and if kid still wanted the ring kid would have to pay difference.

I did purchase ODS one twenty years ago. That ring ended up in Russia on the finger of the foreign exchange student. I also purchased SS one ten years before that. SS lost his within a year never to be seen again. That was the end of class rings at my house. ODD four year younger tan ODS, got a pretty 18k gold amethyst with small diamond accents which she still has and wears (she's in her 30's now).

I'm not sure what DD15 will pick out, but she does realize it will be a part of her Christmas present this year. Between homecoming dance, class rings, school pictures and school 'spirit' clothing the last few weeks the school seems to think parents have cash trees out back. It's been a never ending request for cash around here since school started in September.

Monchichi's picture

My mind can't comprehend spending that amount of money on a high school ring. It's what you buy engagement rings for here, if you can afford it.

Disneyfan's picture

As long as dad (and hopefully mom) do not expect you to help pay for the ring, don't worry about it.

My parents paid $400 for my ring in 1986. They paid about tge same amount for my sister's ring the following year. DS24 and nephew18 both end up with rings pretty close to the amount the OP's SS is looking at.

Ninji's picture

My Skids are only 9 and 11 but I've already started planting the idea in SO's head the class rings are stupid and a waste of money. My Engagement ring didn't even cost $1200. Over my dead body would SO buy SKid a class ring that cost more than my engagement ring.

I never had a class ring and I'm alive and well.

still learning's picture

Skid better get a job to pay for it. My son's ring will cost a whopping $45. No stones, just a nice metal and engraving. Oh and he's paying for it himself.

Just J's picture

Oh hell no! $1200 for a ring for a kid? No and no. What a waste of money. He'll wear it a year after high school at most. No way. Walmart has class rings starting at $88. That's where I'd be pointing step kid. Jostens is and always has been a huge rip off.

My DH pawned his class ring in college for beer money. That's how useful they are after high school. Ha ha.

Cover1W's picture

Is this a new thing? I don't remember rings from school.
I got a free cedar jewelry chest with a coupon.
And was happy with it.

Give them a box. Tell them to put stuff in it and be thankful.
Wink

I'll note to myself to be prepared for it.