You are here

Should the marriage or kids be the priority for widow/widower who remarry?

christag's picture

I've seen absolute outrage at the idea that the marriage should come first when a widower or widower or any single parent with minor age children remarries. I wondered how all of you felt about it.

MarriedaBallessWonder's picture

I've been to 2 marriage counselors with my DH. They both said marriage comes first because the kids will grow up and move away.

So, the marriage should always come first. I believe in this as well. The marriage is, after all, the foundation and all homes need to be built on a solid foundation.

onthefence2's picture

I wonder if that is because they put their kids first?

I think too many people go into marriage blindly, even the 2nd and third times. They think someone will change, or they don't understand themselves enough to know what they are willing to put up with. So many people are intolerant of others, especially crazy skids that they have no control over. People are not realistic about others or about themselves even. I learned after dating a man with kids a few years ago, to skip those dating profiles that say up front, "My kid will always come first..."

Justme54's picture

AGREE! Putting the marriage first is not about being a bad parent! It is about not letting the kids control your life.

christag's picture

My skids have got the grow up and move away part down pat, but never learned to be decent human beings.

The argument is that with divorced parents, you should have two parents who are living separately. For widows/widowers/single parents you don't have another co-parent unless the stepparent is counted as a parent which they frequently aren't nor do the stepchildren want the stepparent to be a parent.

My DH regrets that he basically put so much energy while his kids were growing up into his career, then his late wife's illness, then remarrying and starting a new family. I think he felt like his kids were better off if he remarried because they needed the stability of a two parent home, but his kids completely rejected me and wanted absolutely nothing to do with him or me after we got married.

Should widows/widowers/single parents wait until their kids are 18 or out of high school before remarrying so they can focus on raising their kids?

christag's picture

Edit

Orange County Ca's picture

Children do better in a single parent home than they do in a step-parent home. Studies consistently show they are better adjusted and do better in school. Think about it. This person replaces your mother/father and biology/instinct tells you they are a threat. I can only imagine the countless step-homes and step-children lives destroyed by re-marriage.

The conclusion is to not remarry until the kids are out of high school. Date and have overnight guests if the kids are gone but make sure they leave no traces of their visit and wash both the wine glasses.

This makes the priorities simple.

SlowWorm's picture

"Children do better in a single parent home than they do in a step-parent home. Studies consistently show they are better adjusted and do better in school"  

Have you got citations for some of those studies? 

"This person replaces your mother/father and biology/instinct tells you they are a threat."  

Is there evidence of such an instinctive response? It is not that unusual for a child to do exactly the opposite.

Shaman29's picture

The marriage/relationship should be the priority, regardless of previous status (widow/widower/single parent/etc.). The couple should be a positive example and should be teaching the kids/skids how to treat each other in a solid, stable love relationship.

However, the needs (not wants, cell phones, fads, jobs, whining, etc.) of the kids will come first from time to time. They are dependent upon the adults in their lives to provide food, clothing and shelter and to make them feel safe. Adults should be setting boundaries and rewarding good choices and setting consequences for bad choices.

That is my Pollyanna view of the situation.

You cannot have a 50/50 relationship with your SO and your kids. It doesn't work that way (trust me, mine nearly failed because my H decided to play this game). One or both will suffer and you'll be left alone at some point. Sure you'll be a considered either a good wife/husband or a good parent. But unless a person is willing to commit themselves fully to their SO, and then to your kids, then the relationship will ultimately fail.

I'm not saying ignore the kids or push them aside or not see to their needs. I'm simply saying if you don't make your relationship the priority and then attend to the kids, the chances of the relationship being successful is fairly low. And even worse, the kids will grow up without a good example of a successful relationship and they will not understand how to have a true, supporting, loving relationship with someone else.

Rags's picture

The marriage/partners come first and are always the priority. As equity life partners the couple are also equity parents to any children in their marital home regardless of the biology of the kids.

Raising the children is the top responsibility but never the top priority. The marriage always is and should be the top priority for the partners in the marriage. If not, the couple may as well plan on a divorce at some point.

My father told me when I was a teen to never put him in the position of having to choose between his wife and me. His wife is my mom but the message is clear and applies regardless if the marriage is a first, second, third, etc, or if the partner is a new one due to divorce, death of a spouse, etc.......

Regardless of what Dr. Laura says the marriage comes first. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

christag's picture

I wish my DH would read this, but he would like explode if he read anything else I posted about his kids.

I know he regrets getting remarried before all of his kids were out of college but he don't admit it. I think he underestimated the time commitment and thought it would be easier with his kids if he was remarried. And he liked the distraction and excitement of a new life...

You have 18 years to raise your kids and then they go off into the world and that's it, and he regrets messing up most of the 18 years and what he did or didn't do with his kids and how much they resent him and felt like they were abandoned and they had to raise themselves.

Disneyfan's picture

The OP's kids DID go away. They went off to top colleges, did well and now have great careers. They have not bounced back home. They do not expect/demand their father to cover their bills. They do not invade the OP's home. They do not disrespect the OP or her home. They do not like her or kids, so they do the adult thing and stay away.

alieigh21's picture

"You have 18 years to raise your kids and then they go off into the world and that's it"
I don't see it that way at all. My kids are 20 & 23. I'm still very involved in their lives. You don't stop being a parent on a certain day.

alieigh21's picture

My mom still thinks we should do what she tells us.

Certainly the relationship changes but I'm still their mom. The transition to independence begins in childhood. Not every kids makes it there at the same rate. I offer guidance, love and support. But the goal is push them towards out of the nest. They can chose to listen to what I say or not. Ultimately they make their own decisions.

SlowWorm's picture

"You have 18 years to raise your kids and then they go off into the world"

My (step)kids are in their 40's and I would hate to lose touch with them, or the grandchildren. Perhaps I was just lucky with them. I was certainly lucky to find their mother.

B22S22's picture

I was widowed when my kids were 3 and 5. I remarried, and yes, steplife was rough and I'll admit there were times my kids were resentful of my DH.

However, I see it like one of those giant scales... to keep things finely balanced, you need to watch/attend to each "side" -- sometimes one side more than the other, sometimes less. If you "choose a side" the scale will go off balance. So neither is your sole priority, both are, just at different times, for different amounts, and different reasons.

Just my waxing philosophical here.

alieigh21's picture

I agree. If people are important to you, you make time. Yes my marriage comes first. That does not mean my kids needs are forgotten. I get so frustrated with people who think your kids need for you to devote your entire existence to them because they experienced a loss. As parents, we teach our children as much by setting an example. I'm not sure that is the example I want to set.

lavender2014's picture

I agree with B22S22. I had two marriages and have to DD 16 & 12. The comments above are correct, they are being raised happy and healthy kids even if I was widowed 7 years ago. While I was dating last year I saw they had to compromise their comfort zones, makes sascifices only because they love me and want me to be happy. Yes, I had to keep things balanced....between my fiance and kids. But in my case, kids need came first as there is nobody to help out with and when all was done, I told them....now you leave me alone...it is mommy time and I gave full attention to him. Although it was a lot for me handle some days but it was doable.

Only if I knew I am dating a disney dad with mini wife syndrome....I wouldn't have wasted a sec of my time on him (started a new topic yday - broke up with....).

So my opinion is for a widow, if your kids are very young...the chances of a blended family is good if there is no drama from DH side, otherwise wait till they graduate from HS and move away.

In the meantime having fun is highly suggested!! Smile

alieigh21's picture

As a widow with two kids who has also remarried, I believe the marriage comes first. In my first marriage, the marriage was not first. My complaint was usually that I felt like I was somewhere around 4 or 5 on his list. After his job, kids his family and sometimes friends. We were good parents to our kids but not all that happy in our marriage. Of course it is impossible to know how much of the unhappiness was because of his mental illness. We were actually considering separating when he died.

At the time of his death, BS had just graduated high school. BD was a Sophmore. I met DH soon after. I had planned to wait to introduce DH to my kids until I thought they were ready. It ended up being sooner than I had planned. BD didn't like the idea of me having friends that she didn't know. She wanted to meet him. Three years later and two months after BD graduated from HS, we were married. We didn't wait because we were waiting until BD graduated. I never considered graduation to be a cut off date where my kids would no longer need me. I did avoid the month of her graduation along with several other dates where we had commitments that were important to us.

There is no arbitrary age or milestone, like high school graduation, that will make this easier on your kids. Losing a parent is hard at any age. I wanted to crawl into a hole and be left alone. As the surviving parent that wasn't an option. I had to show my kids that life goes on. Many of my friends and family were not supportive of the marriage. They thought I was doing something wrong or hurting my kids. The ironic thing is that my kids and my late husbands family have been the most supportive.

My remarriage is not what hurt the kids. Their father's death is what hurt them. No matter what I do as a mother, I will never replace their father. DH will never replace their father. The kids see my remarriage as a good thing. They treat DH with respect and DH treats them with respect. He's not their father and doesn't try to be. He respects the memory of my first husband. We talk about him openly in our home.

alieigh21's picture

You're sweet to say that. I feel lucky to have found DH as well. Many men would not have understood what me and the kids were going through. DH is very supportive of my relationship with my kids.

SD hasn't been as easy. I've found being a step mom much harder. It really breaks my heart to see how SD treats DH. I have pretty much given up on trying to change it.

Jsmom's picture

I am widowed and believe my marriage comes first and the kids come second. If your marriage isn't happy, then your kids are not happy. Besides, the kids grow up and then it is just you and your spouse, you need a good solid marriage.

SlowWorm's picture

I'd say it's much the same whatever route led to the kids being there (bio, step-, adopted, etc). The whole reason marriage ever existed is because humans reproduce sexually (one of the few topics where both left- and right-wing sociologists agree!). Of course there are childless marriages, either by intent or because nature worked that way, but they are, so to speak, along for the ride on an institution which developed primarily to facilitate bringing up children and transferring property between generations. Coming from that starting point, a 'the marriage vs the kids' conflict is a non sequitur. If you want your spouse's happiness then you want the kid's happiness too: each will promote the other.

Jake's picture

My marriage would not of lasted the 34 years it has.

We come first allways. I have tried to explain this to my divorced SD43,

That she loves her children but is not in Love with them. No relationship will survive the test of time

without being first for each other.

Good Luck Warm Regards Jake

Rumplestiltskin's picture

I agree, and from what i've witnessed, it's that way in first marriages with kids too. I married very young and we were friends with a handful of other couples. Only one of those couples is still together, and they were the ones who put their marriage first. They regularly hired sitters and went on dates. They celebrated each other's birthdays more than they did the kids. I, in my ignorance, thought they were selfish. They have done very well over the years, though, and their kids have benefitted from a stable, peaceful, and prosperous home. I think so much more can be achieved when the couple works well together.