You are here

Should I stay or should I go?

MadeMyBed's picture

So SSs live 1500 miles away. DH and I have to pay to fly them up to visit. DH's family has properties near where SSs lives. DH's family suggest that, during spring break, instead of flying SSs up here, DH and I fly down there, stay at DH's family's houses and spend the break there-in a warmer climate. This is very generous and God knows by the time spring break rolls around I need the break from the cold weather but problems are:

1. we have a dog and 3 cats- hard to impose on someone, will need to board them? FYI- the break will be for 9 days.

2. would love to spend the money on DH and I getting away instead. Granted he does not see the SSs too often b/c of the distance, but we have not been able to get away for a while either.

3. SSs dont really like to do anything. we will have to entertain them for 9 days. They hate the beach, act like we're torturing them if we bring them anywhere, really a drag. I dont want to use like 7 vacation days for them, Im sorry.

on the fence's picture

I would go. Maybe you can get a house/pet sitter? It might be nice and the ss could come visit you at DH's family house. Do you HAVE to have them 24/7 for the whole 9 days or could you do some things with them and have the rest of the time just you and DH?

MadeMyBed's picture

well, we have to have them 24/7 for the 9 days because this is the spring vacation for them and thats when we have them, meaning they will have to stay with us, BM will be on another cruise or whatever. Sooooo....maybe DH's family members would watch them for a night but its their vacations too. Its just a lot of time off for me to spend it catering to 2 kids who just want to stay home and watch TV

DaizyDuke's picture

IF you work a full-time job, I would say spend the money to have them come up and stay with you during the break, then you can go to work all day and not waste your vacation time being pinned down to 2 ungreatful skids.

Use your 7 vacation days at a later time for you and DH to go somewhere warm WITHOUT skids so you can enjoy it! Wink

MadeMyBed's picture

I DO work full time so its also a consideration of taking the precious vacation time off. If they come up here I still go to work. If we go down there, I take at least 7 days off from work. I really cherish my time off so Id liek to be doing things I like, ya know?

MadeMyBed's picture

*Update*

Im going. But only for 5 days. DH and I are going down, hanging with his family who has homes there and hanging with the Skids for about half the time as we had first expected. So.....please at least let it be warm!! Smile

ddakan's picture

this sounds like a great opportunity! you can board your pets...cats can make it 4 or 5 days...

you have to spend the money anyway....sss wont be with you the whole time and you can have fun with dh....then, you can leave early to let dh have some "quality time" with sss. this way, they don't mess up your house and you can leave the emotional garbage there!

don't worry about the torture, make them do what you want to do....when they are older they will look back on it as a happy thing. kids are like that...crabby. some of the best memories the kids have are when we forced them to vacation camping. they laugh and tell stories about it...and I'm like WTF i thought they were miserable.

this could be an adventure!