You are here

Should I quit or should I commit?

Almathea's picture

I don't know what the "right" answer is or the right thing to do. I feel so tender and am in a lot of deep emotional pain while I process deep frustration that sometimes causes me anger I don't know how to deal with. I want to deal with it compassionately but it also just hurts my heart. Let me preface... 

I have been a single mom of my own son since his birth, he is now six years old. A few years ago, two of my 24 year old family members died, my best friend of 16 years died at age 32, a 41 year old friend of mine committed suicide, a young community member in my small town died, and an amazing woman who married an ex of mine who I adore to pieces died in a structure fire -all in six months. At the same time, I was a newly elected local government official, was working 40 hours a week and commuting ten hours a week, and barely keeping afloat. Fastforward... I met an amazing man who is more compatable with me than anyone I have met since well before I became a mom. We met, we fell in love, we moved in together, and we both have children. He has a now seven year old son and I'll get to him. 

This year has been a nightmare for pretty much everyone. I think just a couple older community members died last year, people who it was simply their time. So that's a pretty easy year for me actually, when it comes to people dying. This year, both my grandparents died within 39 days of one another which like, you know, that doesn't hurt as much but watching my family deal with the estate and all that has been a whole thing. Dealing with our family inner challenges is a whole thing and I'm still very much IN all of that right now. Just before Christmas, a long time friend of mine who is connected to the community who I see as a second family from before I moved to the small town I live in, this friend hung himself. He was in his late 30s. Today I found out a good friend of mine who I was a bridesmade for, I found out her mom jumped from a bridge on Monday and killed herself. 

I am in pain. I don't even know how to process all that happened when I became a single mom let alone the grief of the past several years let alone... there are so many more elements also. I'm just in a really dark place. I'm trying to keep my head up for my community and for my children but I'm in a living nightmare. 

And then there is the "step son". Dad and I aren't married but at this point, we've all been living together for more than two years so I'll refer to them in the standard terms. 

Step son who is seven was diagnosed two years ago with ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, and waking seizures. He is a nightmare of a child although he's come a long way this past couple of years since moving into my house because I run a strict home. I do a lot of research on literally anything I can or feel I should and I naturally want to tackle challenges with every tool in my box I possibly can. 

When SS was two, his mother was with an abusive partner. This partner hit her and he would hit SS, lock the kid in a room, force feed, him, scream at him... the guy was on meth and just generally a horrible person. It took my partner (dad) a long time to see the signs as he was working to get his career off the ground and was out of state traveling often for that work. I am still piecing together all the challenges of that period of time. I think that ultimately, both of the parents parented with guilt and mom parented with emotional detachment. She was detached even before she'd moved on from dad and found herself in the nightmare relationship. She's not a very maternally warm person and she comes from systemic poverty which also landed her in foster care for a portion of her childhood. 

My partner has worked hard to develop better parenting skills and consistency over these past two years. We work with a family therapist and he really loves his kid, even though the child is a real pain in the tail. He really is. He is manipulative, lazy, defiant, and his executive functioning system is so very far behind where he should be. I'm the only one who really has taken the time to understand his list of diagnosis and how the brain of the child develops of the group of parents. We've had several meetings now with mom and her partner, me and dad with our therapist. I believe that mom and her partner mean well but that they lie about their home -the home isn't consistent at all. They all sleep in the same room -mom, partner, their two year old, and seven year old step son. They live in serious poverty. We aren't rich but I own my home and work really hard to be okay as does my partner. We're "okay" but still teetering the poor people line. Our whole community is a place for the poor with a small handful of people who've done well and vacationers who take up our housing stock for their second homes. It's a challenge to live in to be honest. 

Here's what I need help with... I don't know if I should stay or if I should split and move. 

My partner is a really nice guy who strives to keep an endlessly positive attitude and lives in this world where everything is going to be okay. He gets frustrated and angry at times with his kiddo but he won't tell you that. He believes everything is okay. I told him today that I'm not okay lately. I'm struggling hard to deal with all the grief, all the challenges, and I am lost and don't know what to do. I have been hiding drinking... drinking wayyyy more than is at all okay alone at night when the kids aren't here (which is mainly just the weekends) and after he's gone to sleep. I admitted to hiding that from him today. He hugged me and just said, "I love you." That's it. And then I was left alone to again do whatever I want to do. The kids aren't here tonight and I'd love to be just wasted beause then I don't have to think about all the pain. I don't think he'll actually acknowledge it because he doesn't know how to. He's been sober for over a year now, interestingly, and I think I expected him to say more? Something? Anything? 

I struggle the most with step son's mom. How can she hurt her child so much all the time? How can she just be okay with checking out? I know she doesn't know that the root of his struggles are her fault. She kinda almost knows but not really really. She blames the siezures. I believe strongly the waking/absence seizures are a survival mechanism he developed in the trauma and he now "checks out" literally when he doesn't feel like being in a situation. I've watched him do it. He doesn't like anything he doesn't like right now because his executive functioning is so low. I have stories for days on this... how we've talked about it, how we've worked on it, how we've worked with the therapist and his paraeducators together on these things... 

The thing is, I know if am this kid's only actual hope of having a consistent environment. If I split, dad will slip back in his parenting approaches and they'll go live with his parents. Great people but very permissive and allow both my partner and the kiddo to get away with proverbial murder. Everything is "all good" and we don't really need to actually tackle things. The kid can't read at age seven? Eh, no big deal. The kid has all these "problems" and has had to do two tours in Kindergarten? It's all good. Boy we wish he wouldn't act out so much, it's very inconvenient but we still love him. 

Nothing proactive to help. 

And mom won't help unless she is legally forced to change. The only way to do that is if I force the issue. My partner is on the same page with this with me but... I have to do it. I have to be the one to do the work. 

The work is killing me. My kiddo has been put on the backburner so much also because of this child. My son is above average, a really kind and forgiving child with a heart of gold. He's recently had anger outbursts and I think it's because I have to work so hard to get my step child on track because my kid is great. And it breaks his heart more than he's able to put to words. Which breaks my heart. 

It breaks my heart that my step son's mom will always be so broken, that his dad will try but just can't emotionally connect a lot, and that my kid and I are struggling in the middle of it all. I feel like I am failing my kid and I am failing myself. I'm holding myself back because I feel obligated to help these people. I love them. I do. I love my partner he is a good guy and the step child, who sometimes I outright hate his guts, at his core he wants to be good he just doesn't have the support he needs to get there. I had a moment yesterday where I was shaking (because hangover... it got that bad for the first time since I started drinking in solitude). I was shaking and cold and my body was a mess. My step son got under the blanket on the couch and snuggled me and said, "I'll help you get warm. Can we watch another movie together and snuggle?" He isn't totally broken and he has these really warm and beautiful moments. I worry so much that he will have to hit his off button and become this totally messed up person because nobody will help him do the hard work he needs to do to meet his personal potential. If I am not here, who will do that for him? Who if not me? 

If I stay, how much pain will I have to endure and can I balance it all for my son? I am my son's all as his dad is also a broken person who babysits on the weekends and meets an angry version of our son. Our son knows he is second fiddle to daddy's new little girl (his sister) and he's acting out right now because of all that. Dad blames me. I tell him to wake up and take a dang parenting class before he feels like talking to me because dude, you cheated, lied, abandoned us... it's a whole other story... 

I want to go back to college at age 35 this year, continue my role in politics, and work to go to lawschool. I know I have it in me to be a powerful attorney for either employment law or... family law because I've seen how our system breaks kids and makes awful choices. Like my step son... who's mom should have been ordered to therapy and parenting classes after she was called on by DHS for her awful parter. I want to help those things long term but I'm falling apart short term. 

Yes, I am in therapy. Yes I am getting help for my personal struggles. But I don't know how to navigate the deep and profound frustration I have for my step child's mom and also his dad, my loving and committed partner. He's a great guy but awful at really confronting struggle. "It'll all work out." But it's all killing me right now. 

If I go, the child will likely continue to struggle until a not so great end. I know I am the key to fighting for him and that's a lot to shoulder but maybe he is worth it and I would regret leaving him to that chance that he won't be at all okay. 

If I stay, I will continue to be in discomfort and struggle myself. I may not be able to complete school because I carry the family. I may not be able to crawl out of depression because every day is a new challenge. 

I don't know what to do. I am so deeply torn. I feel like I haven't caught a breath in more than seven years. I feel like I have martyr syndomre some days and then other days I'm just a hot mess hiding it from the whole world because... people like me don't get to be broken. We have to put on a show that it's all good. 

Anyone feel similar? Is there a soul out there who can relate?

JRI's picture

I feel your exhaustion and grief.  You are a good person who is carrying a tremendous load.  Your heading asked, "should I quit or should I commit?"  I'll skip to my answer which is I think you should quit.  Here's why: among all the problems you are shouldering and all the people you are responsible for, the first and foremost is your son.  You admit he's been on the backburner and he"s acting out.  He needs you.  He needs a you that is sober and composed.  He needs a drama-free life. Neither you, nor anyone, has the emotional bandwidth to deal with everythng you describe and calmly parent a little boy.

I commend you for your enlightened devotion to the stepson.  You are right, that child is going to have a tough time.  Is it worth your sobriety?  Is it worth your son's welfare?  You can't save everyone but you can save you and your son.

After all the losses you've had, I'm afraid the loss of this man and son will feel like another.  Please talk this over with your therapist.  You sound depressed and you admit to a drinking problem.  If your therapist isn't addressing those issues, please find someone else.

I'm going to be thinking about you.  Please take care of yourself and check back in and let us know how you're doing.  Goid luck, Almathea.

Almathea's picture

I want to get defensive a little but also I don't? I don't think you're wrong and that's the thing I think I fear the most, right? I'll give up this wonderful man and I'm also going to give up the whole community, sell my home... I spoke to it below, I would have to start all over again if we split up. I can't continue to be here in that loss because he's really all I have other than some pretty great older men between the ages of 60-80 here. Those are the only people I intellectually conect with in this small town and have supported me in my political goals and path. It leaves me pretty isolated though and my partner has been my only real friend my age here this past two years. 

So yeah... the hardest part is that it would be another huge loss and a massive upheaval. We'd have to start over and probably live about an hour away from here. We'd be closer to my kid's dad which could be good but I also fear because we don't function well. 

I think though my mom would agree with you. Which breaks my heart. Sometimes the truth is really hard. 

notsurehowtodeal's picture

You have been and are going through a lot. It is good you are in therapy. Hopefully your therapist is helping?

First, you need to get the drinking under control. Even though it makes you feel better in the short term - overall it is a depressant, and the last thing you need right now is something to make you feel depressed. If you haven't, tell your therapist about your drinking and see what they think might be helpful. I personally don't believe that everyone who goes through a period of using alcohol as a way to deal with emotions is truly an alcoholic - but that is something you are going to have to figure out for yourself. If AA doesn't seem like a good fit, there are other programs out there that use different approaches.

If you are depressed and talk therapy isn't helping, you might consider using an anti-depressant until you are through this rough phase. I'm guessing you are "self-medicating" with alcohol to help you deal with the depression. If you can get the depression under control, everything else will be easier.

You need to understand that SS is not your responsibility. It is great that you want to help, but if his parents won't step up and do their part, there is no way you can solve all of his problems on your own. We have a saying around here, "You can't care more than the parents." It definitely applies in your situation. While you can do all the research, your SO is the one who would have to make the appointments and take SS to them and then follow through on making changes in how he parents. If he won't do any of that, you are wasting your time doing all the research.

Can you try and separate your feelings of responsibility for your SS from your decision on whether to continue the relationship? If SS wasn't a consideration, how would you feel? Honestly, it doesn't sound like your SO is all that supportive. The fact that he is in recovery, and when you admitted you were were worried about your own drinking and he had no response, is something you should be concerned about. Is he ever supportive of you?

Your own child is having some issues, and that is where your attention needs to be. SS already has two parents, and it is not fair to your child to have you too involved with the issues that SS is having to be able to deal with your own child.

You sound like a great person who has a lot goals and the ability to really succeed in life. I know this sounds harsh, but you shouldn't give up your own wants and needs to try and "fix" a child who is not yours. Especially when you don't have the full support of your partner. From what you have said, getting your partner involved is going to be an ongoing battle that you are never going to win. You are going to do most of the work, and he and the ex are going to never do their share.

Would it be possible to live separately and date? You could keep your SO in your life, but not feel responsible for SS? I know that can be difficult, but it is something to consider.

You sound like a wonderful person who is completely overwhelmed. Please continue seeing your therapist and if you don't feel like they are helping enough, consider trying another one. Please keep us updated.

Almathea's picture

Thank you... I think that's the hardest part. My partner is so entrenched in the community here by birth. It's one of those kinds of places where being a founding family matters. He is part of a big one with a lot of reach here. If we split, I will be selling my home and leaving the town to start all over again with my kiddo. That's a huge loss and one I struggle with for sure. 

I think he means to be supportive but doesn't actively have that skill. He is more quiet than not because he thinks on the inside and doesn't share that much on the outside. He can he just doesn't becuase it's not something he's had to do much. If I ask him to do something, to be supportive and tell him how to be supportive, he'll try his best. The hard part is that I do love him very much. If we didn't have children, I think we'd be doing quite well as a couple. If his kid wasn't a mess, we'd be even better. 

I know I'm not an alcoholic... I have that going for me. I totally know that I am in this moment coping and poorly. I haven't admitted it to the therapist lately because she's been dealing with her father who has been battling covid. You know... the world we all live in right now, a giant nightmare. It isn't so out of control that it bleeds into parenting... I have a rule that I don't do it when I have obligations either to work or the children the next day, I'm strict on that. But definitely using it poorly to cope. Anti-depressants aren't an option for me. I just don't believe in that approach. But I do need to reach out to more people for connection to work through it all. 

Thank you for helping me process a bit. I really appreciate it. 

Winterglow's picture

Understand that anti-depressants are not supposed to be a crutch - they are supposed to be used for a limited time only. Maybe reconsider them because they'll do a lot less harm to your body than alcohol.

Also, consider replacing the alcohol with a different kind of anti-depressant, exercise. Get up before everyone else and go for a run (or a cycle) every morning and you'll see the world differently, I promise. 

Why do you fear moving closer to your son's father? I'm sure there are solutions to help, whatever your reasons.

Please let your therapist know everything and give her the chance to do her job properly. By hiding stuff, you're not helping yourself and you're not helping her ...

Almathea's picture

I agree with the honesty with the therapist. And I get the anti depressant concept as well as replacing the alcohol. Tomorrow I will be cleaning (for work) for a full day which should help that physical thing out. One of the hard struggles lately with activitiy has been not being able to work a lot because of covid and my son remote learning. Also it is winter and I live in a place where there is snow. It makes running a challenge. Our one rec center is shut down until further notice. 

So yeah... I know all the things I'm supposed to do but boy howdy is it all made complicated. I didn't honestly want or mean the alcohol thing to be a primary topic. I wanted to include it to just drive a point on how difficult this all is right now. My son comes home from his dad's on Sunday and there will be no drinking. I have committed to taking the next at least three months sober. 

The real challenge is deciding whether or not I can really continue to show up for my new family, my partner and his child or if I need to go because it's too much as I battle everything else? I feel invincible sometimes but right now I feel delicate and scared. You know? That's why the reach out. 

Winterglow's picture

I understand ... and I see yoiur point about the alcohol. I think that those of us that latched on to it did so to try to drive home to you just how much damage this relationship was doing to you. Personally, I don't think you can save this situation but I do think that you can save yourself and your son. He deserves to have his mother 100%. He needs you to be there for him. I know how hard leaving would be but it might just give you that kickstart you need to move forward (yes, I understand the feeling of quicksand swallowing you up...). If/When you do decide to move out, I suggest also changing your therapist. No offence intended but I wonder whether you aren't too comfy with/close to her for her to be able to continue to help you.

Reach out and vent as much as you need. We're here to help (though you might not always like what we have to say Smile ). 

Wicked stepmo.'s picture

You're a kind soul and a natural giver. One of the downsides to that is you can lose yourself in the process. I think you have to quit and here is why. You are not at a point where you are able to develop healthy boundaries. By that mean helping others but maintaining the understanding that you cannot want something more for someone than they want for themselves. People will not change unless they want to and are willing to commit to that change.

You also have your own child you have to attend to first and foremost. You have aspirations you have not met. Continuing a life in servitude to others while neglecting yourself and your child will lead you down a dark path of anger, resentment and helplessness.

You say you love this man, but why and for what reasons?  This is something you have to ask yourself and answer honestly. Healthy relationships consist of two people who add to each other's lives in some way. Is he willing to support you in your goals the way you support him. He he is willing to follow you and be there to support you while you chase your dreams. The things that will make you happy and proviya better life. 

If not then why? You have shown him what you are willing to sacrifice for him and his child, is it not only fair he do the same in return. If he is not willing to make sacrifices for you then this is not an equal relationship.

tog redux's picture

There's a lot going on here, but the bottom line is - don't sacrifice your happiness to care for your stepkid. Many on here have started with positive relationships with their stepkids, only to have them completely turn on them by adulthood - especially if that stepparent is the only real parent in their lives. Kids are loyal to their mothers, and at some point, your SS will likely rebel against your "strictness", which isn't supported by either parent - and then you will wonder why you wasted your life staying in an unhappy marriage just for his sake.

For the time being, though - work on you to deal with all the loss you've had, so you can be sure you are making the right decisions for the right reasons.

mommadukes2015's picture

Oh honey. 

Been there. 

First and foremost you have to sit down and have a long hard think. What-outside of all of this-do you want your life to look like? Does it include any of these people? If it doesn't, or if it requires great change on their part, you know what you need to do. If there is a sliver of "yes I want them" then you have some more work to do. We cannot control anyone but ourselves. We can't make SO see that the world isn't always 70 and sunny when in reality it's a f-Ing dumpster fire. But we can change how we react to our circumstances. If you stay, SS will undoubtedly be a part of that. There is no espcaping that fact. Your level of involvement with home however, is your choice. On one end, you solely support our SO as he makes parenting choices, you suggest, give your opinion when asked but you withdraw your horse from the SS race, you can be warm and loving when the moments allow but any and all problems are SO's and SO's alone. No pick ups. No baby sitting. The opposite end of the spectrum is you take the SS horse by the reins and you drive. You make the rules, you call the shots and SS abides by the same rules as your own son. If you choose this option, I've worked with ADHD/ODD kids and the quickest way to get them in line is predictable, conistant outcomes. Delineate between mom's and home expectations. There's no rule saying you can't say "here this is the expectation" period. When my SS was 7 (he had ASD) he understood this because we treated him with love, respect and we're consistant whereas mom's was a free for all. It did take some time to adjust. I would also look into Positive Parenting Soluntions, it's helped immensely with both my kids. My only caviat is that in the beginning with SS some "bribary" may be necessary, you did a good job here is a sticker/small reward/extra game time etc. If consistently applied this works wonders with ODD. 

all that being said the latter is exhausting and SO needs to be 100% on board. In order to get him on board you need to have a come to Jesus conversation with him about how you feel and where you are at. If walking out is an option, he needs to know it's on the table and he needs to know why you don't want to go there. He needs to know explicitly and concisely what you need him to do. Spell. It. Out. If you don't know what you need, figure it out. It's not fair to expect someone to meet a need you don't even have a handle on (not saying you do, but just in case that comes up). If he can't do what you're asking, or if he won't, you again, know what you need to do. All he needs to do is try his hardest to pull his weight. That's all you need from him right now. Once he gets his barrings, slowly add more and more until he's doing it on his own. 

while we are on SO-my SO is 13 years sober from heroin. Addicts, are deep thinkers when they're on the outside. My SO doesn't normally have the wisdom of the world to offer to me on the spot, it comes out in other ways and often days later. This is one of those areas where if you need him to give you more, you need to tell him. You need to feel seen. You presently do not. I'd look up the 5 love languages and start figuring out things there if you haven't already. 

as far as grief goes-I stopped counting at my 5th loss mid-year and there's been at least 3 more since. I am struggling too but the only thing that has helped-is leaning into it. You need to cry-girl cry. You need to rage-go lift, run, box find some physical way to appropriately get that shit out of your body. You need to sleep-sleep. You need a mental health day-claim that shit. You deserve it. The only way out is through. 

as far as your drinking goes, I can tell you from experice, numb doesn't feel any better than what you're presently feeling. I have the natural ability to shut it all off, when I was young my trauma taught me how. I lived in that world for years, where I would kill to feel anything-anger, sadness, anything but I couldn't. That's my biggest fear. There is no reprieve in numb. It's not better. In my opinion it's worse because at some point, you are not in control any longer. The pain you feel is from LOVE love for SO, love for his misguided son, love for the people you've lost, and if you want to do any of them justice you will give this world the biggest middle finger you can muster and keep loving-and loving yourself above all else. Don't let this world make you hard and bitter. That's what it wants. Don't let it. You are clearly a caring, introspective, driven, smart person. The world can't afford to lose you to numbness.

before you do any of this- take care of yourself and your baby first-whatever that looks like. I have 2 sks and 1bd and there are times I prioritize her first even though I call SS my own. She only has me and her dad. My sk's have me, their dad and their mom's (even if they are shitty). It's okay to set aside you and your BS time-the parenting course I suggested will tell you how. And know, no matter what you decide, we are here for you. We are rooting for you and we are sending you all the best vibes. Know also, that you are free to tap out of the Step life at any time. Just make sure that's really what you want. 

<3  

Almathea's picture

You know what is crazy... I have done literally all of those things. The come to jesus talk, the refusing to help out and thereby not getting help with my child, the looking at all different ways to approch the parenting, the love languages, all the things. Two years of trying my guts out. 

The child is still lying, defiant, manipulative, and hurtful. He has these beautiful moments and then he reverts back. It isn't just unrfuly at mom's, it's unhealthy and just not enough to call DHS. Because I would actually do that to her after all she's done to fail at parenting. 

My partner cares I just think he doesn't get it... I think a lot of men don't get it honestly because they aren't taught that they should or have to. There isn't this expectation of them. 

I'm going to spend the next several days in my own space and probably camping out with my kiddo. We'll see what happens but I know I don't feel great right now. 

Harry's picture

Should be working to gets handled on your life.  SS is not going to get better.  He' need structural life.  What SO is not doing. 

CLove's picture

There is a lot of pain in your post.

Please know that you are not alone!

Keep reading here and you will see that.

Almathea's picture

I do really love him. I was completely fine being alone before we met so it wasn't the situation of "best I can do out here." I was fully committed to not settling. 

He's tried with the kid, he honestly has, but I think maybe it's the best he can do? He's stepped it up so much but the kid is just so far behind on all accounts and it starts all over again every time he goes to mom's. I think that's my guilt right? I know I'm the only one who can do anything about this and there's this feeling of societal obligation... that like, if we can do something, we probably should. 

But yeah... at what cost? 

Side note: my drinking is pretty well hidden and not as dramatic as I think a lot of folks are reading into it. It's not great, like obviously but it doesn't bleed into my obligations or my time with the kids. I get my kiddo tomorrow from a week away with his dad and I'll be 110% sober -I'm not into that kind of thing at all. Kids deserve better. 

I've just been a little more heavy on it lately between the holidays, the losses, and the feeling of helplessness. 

It sucks... hard... if I go, it's going to be a nightmare process to start all over again and at a horrible time to do that. It's so damn scary to even think of. 

weightedworld's picture

Why do you need to go? What makes you feel that way? You are established and doing well. You don't need to add that extra stress to yourself. You said before that he would live with his parents? Maybe he take a break over there for a bit and see how you feel then? 

I know that when I get a break from my bf and his daughter, the air in the house seems lighter, people can breath, and we are productive, and functioning. 

Rags's picture

It can work.  When the parent or parents who bring prior relationship progeny to the relationship have clarity that the relationship and their partner come before all else.  

I am happy that the do-over with your SO is proving to be more successful for you.

Enjoy.

Almathea's picture

I had a big talk with the family therapist on Sunday and a very uncomfortable conversation with my partner that evening. I finally let him know how deeply frustrated I am with the continually regressive behavior issues and with his child's mother. I think I shared a little bit... see, birth mom and I had agreed to communicate with one another and I offered to pay for her to take parenting classes on the condition that I would drive and we would attend together. We had initial positive conversations about being allies instead of adversaries and helping her child get to where he needs to be instead of a behavioral nightmare who is intellecutlaly two years below his peer group. 

Somewhere the conversation ended and she simply does not respond to any of my messages anymore. She already had dipped out of two family meetings with no call no shows and she sometimes takes days to respond to my partner (dad) on basic things like, "What time do you want me to pick up our kid?" 

She is avoidant and has serious issues she refuses to do the work on including the child. She just isn't willing to work toward the skills needed to parent consistently -or even try. The big thing in all this is that I had to really digest that. To me, I don't know why anybody wouldn't try everything in the world for their child. I have fought tooth and nail for the wellness of my kid and I hate myself for letting that back slide for half a year in ways I shouldn't have --but it's not like I neglected my kid while I was giving more attention to step son. He just didn't get the full attention he deserved. Meanwhile, step kid's mom ignores the fact she has children the majority of the time when they are right in front of her. That's what pisses me off profoundly. Like lady... your kidn't don't have issues because of some magical thing. You did it. You are doing it. You are the problem. And many people have offered to help but you can't. 

She can't. And I have to let that go. Completely and totally and set up boundaries. So I did. I have made it clear to the family therapist and my partner that I will no longer be communicating with her. Even if we have to do a child exchange, the time will be set in advance and she will follow it or I will call the police for a contempt of court orders. I just don't have the energy to play around with people who have no respect for others anymore. I also have asked that new court orders either be agreed upon this month or my partner take her ass to court immediately. No more child support to her ever again for the rest of time and majority parenting time is to be with dad. Period. If she can't agree to that, the attorney will very likely bring back her DHS situation from a few years ago, the fact that her kids have inappropriate sleeping arrangements, and many other things like constant drinking in front of the children and smoking vape pens in the residence while the children are in there. I have also made it clear I am happy to call DHS for another check any day now. There's also the fact that she "dumped" her kid on dad for full time parenting time now four months ago thus setting a precidence and all the feedback from the IEP staff at school and family therapist indicate he does better in our home and slips when there is any time with mom. She just doesn't have a leg to stand on here anymore after all she has done and I made it clear that it doesn't matter how much money it costs, fighting for the kid is number one. He has agreed. This is a condition for moving forward among other things... 

I asked for us to work today on a list of responsiblities and chores each of us have so that's no longer a relationship frustration... we just need to be clear as to what each of us bring to the table at any time. I also am asking for a set of very clear rules for the children, and that each child has their own rules to reflect their differences. The biggest one is ONE WARNING ONLY. Step Son loves to be very manipulative to avoid having to do the right thing and I will not tolerate that anymore. Dad has gotten better over the last two years but he needs to step up the game BIG time and NOW. I made that exceptionally clear.

It's hard to tell someone who is your equal that you feel you are parenting them in their parenting but I did that. He had to take a day to digest everything but I just didn't want to hold back anymore. It was and is killing me. At the same time, he loves me more than I expected if I am honest. I imagined that he would simply leave my house after I said everything I said. He needed a day to digest it all but came back and said, "I'm willing to do anything it takes to make this work." 

As far as drinking goes... have not had any of that since I wrote this. I think I indicated that I don't do that in front of the children. I might have a few glasses of wine during a dinner party or holiday event but I don't get wasted when I have parenting duties. I'm just not okay with that approach to life and so even when it was bad there this last bit, this was when the children were with their other parents or grandparents. I might drink excessively at night alone when step child is asleep knowing that his dad is in the other room if anything happens but that's where I end it. So to be clear... it isn't alcoholism in full form here. But definitely a concern beause it was more frequent than is okay and it has been ripping apart my mental stability. I am foggy this week still a bit and not fully back to stable though today has been the best one so far for that. I reached out for help in multiple areas including therapist and friends. 

I am still nervous moving forward. I know the idea of him moving into his folks house for a bit sounds like a doable solution but it really isn't in a lot of ways. He runs his firewood business on my property, that firewood offsets the cost of heating in my 120 year old home, for me to do the things I do in my community role I need someone to pick my child up from school now and then and stay with him twice a month so I can attend council meetings, I am working to go back to college and how I can ever financially do that without some kind of serious support both financially and logistically would be a real mistery without my partner's help... there are a lot of logistical reasons to stay with him outside of the love factor. The love factor is the easiest part and the part that neither of us have to question.

It is his child's behavior issues that are the core challenge. It really comes down to that. I wish more people in this world understood that when you subject your child to trauma you hurt their brain so much that it impacts the rest of their life. When you don't have consistency with your children, you set them up for failure. When you ignore the hard realities that you child isn't perfect and that "kids are just being kids," it is just not an acceptable excuse for your child being two years behind and a nightmare to everyone around him... I just wish we talked more about what children actually do need and how to create good environments for their development. I wish that were a societal norm. I wish there was no allowance for parents deflecting their responsiblities and decididng somehow it's someone else's fault. 

We are working out hard and real boundaries this week and putting them to paper. I am going to have to work on radical acceptance that the mother of this chld will just never be a good mother. It isn't in her and she is too lazy to make it happen. That's who she is and where she is in life is where she will stay -there is nothing I can do about it even if I tried my guts out. The best bet is supporting dad in the lead parenting role because he actually wants to do it and actually sees that it has value and merit. But I also am making clear the expectations and requirements for me to stay. 

We'll see what happens. I'm nervous as hell but I love the man. 

Rags's picture

Alma,

I had my rescue project phase.  It never workshsD.  Equity life partnerships require both partners to deliver.  Your partner is not delivering.  His past performance and lack of current performance shows he won't deliiver going forward.  As for the failed family breeding partner your failed partner chose.... this BM speaks for the quality of choices your SO tends to make.

You cannot continue to sacrifice yourself and your own child on the alter of SParental martyrdom to this shallow and polluted gene pool without tragic life long consequences for you and your child.  The tragic losses you have experienced in the past few years have to be dealt with.  You must give yourself permission to grieve, work through the grief process, and to heal.  You owe this to yourself, and to your son.  Those loses were not your choice.  Sacrificing yourself and your own son to the willful parental, family, and adult failures of your SO, the BM, and tragically their special needs son is YOUR choice.  Make a different choice.

This man is not your equity life partner and there is about zero chance that he will ever be able to step up and be your equity life partner.  You have a heart for service and to rescue.  If you are going to successfully rescue this drowning man and his failed family he has to drop the 10,000 pound rock he keeps purposely trying to put on your shoulders and step up.  This is not on you. It is on him.  This man and the BM have to be the ones to step up on their own volition.  They won't.  They have proven that.  You have to take off the rose colored rescue glasses and focus on you and your own child.

You have an amazing life to live.  Are you willing to give up your own dreams..... politics, law school, a service focused law practice, and raising your own child to viable adulthood without the baggage you are currently forcing on him?  You cannot sacrifice your own child to your SO and the BM's failures to step up to parent and care for their child.  Your SS does not and should never trump yourself and your own child. Particularly when his mother and father have proven repeatedly that you and your son do not matter to them.

Now for your choice of tragically flawed partners.  Your X/baby daddy, is a lost cause, your current SO is a lost cause, and he has the baggage of his failed family that makes he and all of them unrecoverable.   A rescue project has nearly zero chance of being worthy or you or the ability to be YOUR equity life partner.  You need to adjust your perspective on the quality of character, performance, and commitment that you true equity life partner must demonstrate to truly be your equity life partner.  The right person will not bring more baggage to your life, you will not have to drink yourself into numbness at night due to being overwhelmed by his failures, his goals will align and support your own, he will be additive to your son's life, he will partner with you to blend into your life, and you to blend into his.

You cannot love, fix, or help anyone until you learn to put yourself first, love yourself first, and to surround yourself with eagles to soar with rather than surrounding  yourself with chickens who can't pick through their own shitty life choices.

Also, keep in mind that you will not be leaving.  If is your home, the home you have acquired and made for you and your son.  That home has to be the sanctuary for you and  your own child.  Some day when you define the standards of behavior and performance that your true equity life partner will meet, the two of you can make a home together.

Equity life partnership is not about perfection. It is about team work, performance, and making a life together.  Sometimes one partner takes the load, at other times the other partner takes the load, but most of the time they take the load together.  Currently my DW and I are in a fairly extended phase where she is supporting us.  I am making every effort to re-engage my own career and am struggling with not being able to take some of the load off her shoulders.  I am confident we will get to our usual balance.  Until then I do whatever possible to take pressure off of her.  I cook, I clean, I make every effort to make coming home at the end of her work day as relaxing as I possibly can.  When she vents, I listen with the intent of understanding and I make a huge effort to back off of my usual solution based discourse.   As challenging as a 60% reduction in our income has been for nearly 2 years, we have worked the plan we developed together early in our 26+ year marriage to set our housing, transportation, and life style to the lowest of our two incomes in order to provide for our retirement.  Even equity life partnerships are not without their challenges.  Even during those times the partnership is the focus. It has to be.  Nothing else works in my/our experience.

Don't settle.  Love yourself. Love your son.  

Be good to, and take care of ....you.

All IMHO of course.

Good luck.