You are here

Should I provide BM's info to creditors?

Redsonya's picture

So since ex-DH died in April and the skids took what they could of his, but didn't do anything to notify creditors, the bank, the IRS etc, I am still getting calls and letters from multiple creditors for credit card debt that he and BM ran up (before we met) and a $40,000 second mortgage on the house he had with BM. I am going to write a letter to each creditor as the letters come in to notify them of his death and let them know they can contact his daughter for a death certificate. BM kindly provided them all with my contact information - even on the fire taxes and second mortgage on the house that she has held the deed for and lived in solely for 5 years. I guess she thinks that if the bills (addressed to her and ex-DH) come to my house, that somehow she doesn't have to pay them?

My question is that since I am already writing each creditor, should I go ahead and give them BM's contact information, social security number, and a copy of the divorce agreement where she acknowledges the credit card debt is community property (we live in CA - community property state). Would just take me an extra minute or two and after years of BM trying to stick me and ex-DH with every possible dime, it would be nice to see her her try to deal with crushing debt for a change:)

the wicked witch's picture

Oh yes, most definitely!! I would give them any and all info I could..Including cell and work numbers!

hereiam's picture

Yep.

Redsonya's picture

Are there any legal implications involved with providing them with her social security number or the divorce paperwork?

tiny kitten's picture

Of course! She shouldn't be allowed to abuse the system, should she? And you're saving the creditors some time and money. Sticking it to the stupid bitch is just an added bonus }:)

Rags's picture

No doubt about it. Give the creditors BMs contact info along with copies of the crap clearly identifying her as the liable party for the debt

Have fun! }:)

Somuchdrama's picture

We do everything we can to help BM pays her bills! I would drive the creditor to her house if needed. How I despise BM!