You are here

should I pay for step child

Elle36's picture

My husband has 50/50 care of his son. One full week with us and one full week with mother. (I'm new to this site so I don't know how to use abbreviations yet) Since both make about the same amount there is no child support between the two. My husband and I have complete joint accounts (savings and checking) I do not feel I should have to be paying for his son's activities, medication, school lunches, etc... He receives a check from his ex every month with her half. I offered that when these checks come that he should give them to me and let me spend the money how I chose. He flipped.

He then said he would pull so much money out of our accounts to pay for his son. I said that is fine but then that would make me have to pay for more of the household items since the money would not be there. I then suggessed that I will pull the same amount out and keep for whatever personal things I want to do. He flipped again. I even suggested separate accounts and then a household account. No go.

I wouldn't mind paying for his son but the biological mother makes more than me or my husband. We have no kids of our own yet. Techincally the Bio mom is paying half, my husband is paying a fourth and me a fourth. What should I do???

happy's picture

yes to some degree you should be helping him pay for things for his son. You are his wife.. You two became one and that means that his son is part of the package deal. Irregardless of what the BM makes. You and your husband are suppose to be ONE..
Try looking at it that way instead of the way you are.. Just my opinion. I know sometimes its hard to do..
I hope I make some sense..
Happy

Anonymous's picture

There may be particulars here we aren't fully aware of that may make a difference. However, my feeling is that parents are responsible for raising their children, including financial responsiblities. I can agree that you shouldn't make an issue over contributing to small costs. However, where should a stepparent draw the line? For example, should "Soup's" financial contributions include private high schools and/or college education? What if her DH had seven or eight children and even small costs for all of them added into a considerable amount? This can start adding up to a lot of money over the years. In my opinion, in a case like this where there isn't dire financial need for necessities, then a stepparent should only contribute what they choose to and the PARENTS should be footing the bills. For example, my SO's ex CHOSE to enroll his kids at a private high school with $15,000 tuition, even though the public school in their district was one of the best in the country. (It was against his wishes, BTW.) Even though he had to help foot the bill for the tuition, I certainly would have had something to say about it if we were married and it was coming out of a joint account.

Anne 8102's picture

I have no idea what you just said in that last paragraph, but I'm sure if I did I would totally agree! Wink I left out the consultation part and you're right... if OUR money pays for extras, then WE will decide that together. It's not the yous, the mes, the wes or the theys we have to watch out for... it's the THEMS!!!

~ Anne ~

Bonus Wife's picture

Well, I wanted the "we are one" mindset but honestly, by saying "I Do" I wound up committing financial suicide. I hope in the long run, love was worth more than having money.

Anne 8102's picture

Stepkids are not our financial responsibility. Period. They have PARENTS to foot their bills. That's what the PARENTS are for.

Having said that, however, sometimes we have to make sacrifices to help out our spouses. Not that it's our responsibility to foot their CS bill, but because sometimes they need our help and if we can't help each other out, then why bother being married at all? If he were injured in an accident and had huge medical bills, would you help pay for that? What if YOU were injured and couldn't work? Would he pay your way? Would you expect him to? Child support is long-term, but it's not permanent. Your helping out now could be good for your marriage and maybe you can even make a trade-off... however many years you help with CS, that's how many years you get to tack onto your early retirement! Wink

You say you have joint accounts, but you're not thinking of the money in those accounts as joint money. You're still envisioning it as "his" money and "my" money, rather than "our" money combined. Do you see the difference? Because if it's "our" money, then "we" pay for everything that needs to be paid for out of "our" money and then you are either rich together or poor together, not one of you rich and one of you poor. You don't assign ratios to who pays for what if it's truly "our" money. If it's "his" and "my" money, then he pays for 1/4, I pay for 1/4, she pays for 1/2. But if it's "our" money, then she pays half and we pay half. In your mind, your money is still very much separate, even though it's all in the same account. Do you see where I am going with this? I think you need to decide first if you truly want to combine your money and, if you do, then you have to combine it in your head as well as in your bank account.

Now if you want to keep things separate, that's fine, too. And sometimes that's a wonderful way to get your spouse to see where the money actually goes and how it gets distributed. It also can help show who contributes to what and how much.

I think you're doing it halfway and that's the real problem. If you're going to do everything jointly, then it has to be combined in your head, as well as at the bank. If that were the case, then it would never even dawn on you that you are paying for a fourth of anything. I think you need to either retrain yourself into thinking this way or truly do a 50/50 split of household expenses, him paying his half of CS and using separate accounts. But it will never work if the money is separate in your head, but mixed together at the bank.

~ Anne ~

Elle36's picture

It is court ordered that they split expenses that their child is involved it. Wrestling tournaments, uniforms, boy scouts, athletic equipment, medical bills, medicine. If one parent pays for something then the other produces a record at the end of the month claiming what the other parent owes.

It is even pretty sad that the child even has totally separate clothes down to shoes and coats. He will wear his coat from his mother over to our house on Sundays when he comes back to us for the week. The coat gets hung in the closet and he wears the coat and shoes that we bought him for the week. When he goes back to his mother he puts her coat and shoes back on. This was her doing. She has even taken the coat back with her when she leaves and brings it again.

Elle36's picture

It is court ordered that they split expenses that their child is involved it. Wrestling tournaments, uniforms, boy scouts, athletic equipment, medical bills, medicine. If one parent pays for something then the other produces a record at the end of the month claiming what the other parent owes.

It is even pretty sad that the child even has totally separate clothes down to shoes and coats. He will wear his coat from his mother over to our house on Sundays when he comes back to us for the week. The coat gets hung in the closet and he wears the coat and shoes that we bought him for the week. When he goes back to his mother he puts her coat and shoes back on. This was her doing. She has even taken the coat back with her when she leaves and brings it again.

Anonymous's picture

can't force you to pay for expenses that you didn't agree to and she took upon herself. Maybe he'll need to give up wrestling for a cheaper sport, or when he's with you have him join something inexpensive at the rec center or something. If she wants the expensive stuff then she pays.

Candice's picture

that your budget is just overrun and you guys need to scale down elsewhere? What did you envision would happen to your finances when you got married?

I think having separate accounts isn't a bad idea myself. But, if your dh is too broke to contribute paying for household items b/c he is paying for his share of child expenses, then something does need to change. Is there room to scale down on the house or household expenses? Having 50/50 time, you will not be entitled to cs.

For my dh and I, we share the expenses of both households and kids, no matter who's they are. However, I personally will not pay to invest in college, or major expenses for ss out of my pocket. Dh and bm can do work together to cover that. As far as music lessons, school lunches, clothes, med. insurance, dh and I share that expense.

Perhaps you can find some middle ground by scaling down other expenses....

Good luck,
Candice

dee626's picture

My husband makes pretty decent money but his ex gets paid under the table for about 80% of what she makes, so we have no real way of knowing what she can afford. She used to do the same thing such as not sending anything for him to wear or use when he'd be with us because it was for her home only. Now he lives with us every other year and every other week during the summer(for which she gets a 1/2 month worth of child support). We pay 100% for school and everything else. If he stays there for a week during our year (if his dad is out of town I make sure he goes to his moms), if it's supposed to be our weekend, she won't even give him his lunch money for the week because it's technically our weekend, not hers. I am dreading about how the finances are going to be when he goes back to her for the school year next year because it used to be when he's with her, we pay over 60% for school plus child support. When he's with us we pay 100% everything!! But seeing that tuition has double because it's now high school not grammar school, I hope my husband uses his head. We still have 2 small boys at home to think about and their education is just as important as SS's is.

Anonymous's picture

I would not sacrifice my future for this guys kid, and especially when he told you he would use a lot of money out of your joint accounts. Maybe now is the time to have your own family and worry more about your future. Perhaps then he will take your marriage more seriously. If not he will still be accountable.

Susannah's picture

I know that isn't a very concrete answer, but I think these things are variable. Yes, there is a certain inherent responsibility to see the the child's basic needs, but it kind of sound like people are debating extras like expensive private school and what not.

I think there is a little more pressure for men to support skids than women, but times are changing at variable speeds. Anyway, I think part of this should depend on the relationship the SM is having with the skids. Do you get to go to school plays? Will you be invited to graduation?

I'm not saying to use money as a way to get favorable attention, but I do think your level of relationship counts in my book. If I am treated like a maid or the woman who answers the phone, I feel less obliged to use my resources towards someone that has little to do with me. If I am a large part of the child's life than I feel I have a similar responsibility since I am parenting at that point.

When a bio parent sacrifices for a child they are usually rewarded with a lifelong relationship and support in their old age. A SM may or may not have their contribution recognized. I think that once the basic needs are accounted for, it should be up to the individual to decide what is an appropriate contribution.

I am dealing with one really petty BM who will do anything to keep me and SD from getting along. I do not give anything to my skids with any kind of expectation in mind. I only give a true gift or none at all.

I do see a risk in making more of a sacrifice than is really called for. This could lead to resentments down the line. Yes, this is a risk for bio parents too. I do give extras to my skids, but I am mindful to give without expectation. I know that in my situation I may never be appreciated, so I don't turn myself into a martyr in any way.

As far as accounting, my HB and I have separate accounts, but I think he knows I would pitch in for skids if needed. He has a generous spirit and I try to demonstrate graciousness as well.

I also feel that I make a lot of contribution to my skids that are not based in finances, but in thoughtful consideration. I think that a lot of women are natural caretakers and there is a tendency to give and give and give. While this arises from a good hearted intention, it is also important to take care of our own needs. I think that when I am able to care for myself, I actually have more to offer to others.

In financial terms here is an example. I'm not giving up my lifelong dream of going to the Louvre so that my skids can have a designer wardrobe or fancy car. I am willing to sacrifice or put off my dream trip to help my SD or SS get counseling if they need it.

I have also found that even if my SD likes something I do, I can encounter resentments from others. I bought my 6 yr old SD a little doll from the dollar store and was subsequently informed by my MIL that I was "buying her love."

At the end of the day, I just do what I think is right. I am still going to the dollar store and buying little items for my skids on occasion. If people don't like it they can pack sand. I don't have the means to buy my skids 200 dollar sneakers; if people don't like it they can pack sand. I don't tell others how to parent and I'm not interested in having my gifts micromanaged by a third party. (This assumes safety and propriety of course)

Just my two cents.

// Susanna

holeekrap789's picture

I have 6 biokids at home and my B/F has a son who lives with his mother.There have been many issues between us but the money luckily has not been one. If my kids(our kids) need something and either of us has the money we are both willing to put out for them. If his son has needed anything that I could help supply I have willingly done so. Not so much in the way of money as much as taking him out to donner or other forms of entertainment, school supplies, clothes, christmas presents, etc... For a while my B/F wasn't working but I don't see why his kid should be without necessities and even pleasures in life if WE can give it to him. His mother makes about the same amount of money that I do with a 2 person household compared to our 8 person household. I feel she could better afford it and she does cover almost everything, but I personally would not hold the money against the kid and that is where I see it goes to.
Money is not near as important as the relationship. On this one I would let it go and know that if you are there for him when he needs it then he will be willing to be there for you if God forbid you lost income and NEEDED him. Good Luck.
Lisa Dawn

Janet's picture

Thats what came to mind, and that he's taking too much out for his child. I do like the idea of a house account that solely pays for all bills house related. That way its understood that your husband cannot touch that for his son, so I would push that; adamently infact.
How old is the son? Because the week on week off won't last as he becomes older, and you guys will need to go back to court to get it modified. He'll probably want to live at the moms and be more stable, so maybe you can just have visitations, and have the child support based on dh's income come right out of his check. That way you guys can put the rest toward your expenses. Just a thought.

Elle36's picture

Doubt if he would ever really want to live with just mom. Child is 6 years old and Mom babies him terribly. He has no friends to play with at Moms and he has cried to us numerous times. He still uses sippy cup, sits in her lap, and rides in a car booster seat. (He is tall and weighs 65 pounds) She has no life other than him spends all her weekends with her parents so they can baby him too. He crawls in bed with her at night. IF anything he will be with us. We have another one on the way that he is very excited over. He has friends, independance and a life. He has an X-Box with her. He has never even had a friend over to play at her house. She has even said that she is all he needs. I guess I just open another can of worms. As for fincances for the child.....I do forsee that changing real soon.