You are here

Should I End This Now? And If Not, How Do I Stop Being Bitter?

DadOfFour's picture

Greetings,

I came across this forum via Google, and decided to make this my first post as I'm struggling with a lot of upset and need the advice of people who have been through this before.

I'm a biological dad of four great kids 8, 10, 12, and 13. Divorced about two years, met an incredible woman and we fell in love. It's been about a year and a half now and we're engaged. She tries real hard to make the kids happy, and they love her... she claims to love them... I do everything I can to make her happy too.

A few months ago, I relocated myself and my children (whom I have custody of) to her state, as she is very tied to her job and where she was raised. This took an enormous amount of sacrifice on my part, an enormous amount of work to get the kids both interested and adjusted. Gave up my dream job, everything I knew, etc.

She believed her sacrifice was having the kids in her life.

This is the point where I started wondering if something was wrong; why is it a sacrifice if you claim to love the kids? I'm uprooting my entire life, my kids, buying a new home, so we can form a new kind of family - and she considers it a sacrifice? So my first question is, is this the right attitude a future stepmom should have in the first place? She has a job but I find myself paying for everything - the new house, vehicles, bills, etc. Her finances go to her old house and financial responsibilities she had before we met. I'm not sure there's much left after that.

The big problem came a few weeks ago when lawyers got involved and custody got called into question. It's possible that by moving out of the state in which the custody order was made, that my ex wife may indeed be able to get custody back (don't ask about the details, but that's just the way it is). This is a woman (the ex wife) who has consistently mistreated the kids (not abused, but mistreated), that the kids do not want to live with, and took off to a different state, and got married, barefoot, and pregnant within a few months of the divorce, and has hardly ever visited them. I exhausted several lawyers who all told me initially that I need to move back to my original state or I stander a strong chance of losing custody of my children in spite of this (based on her own state's laws).

After consulting with my lawyers, and some that she (my fiancee) even begged me to talk to, it was made pretty clear that I'd be putting custody at risk -bigtime- if we didn't get back to my home state. What was the response? My fiancee bid me farewell, told me that her life here meant too much to her, that she would lose her identity and cease to exist if she came, and begged me to stay with her, trying to convince me that I'd still get to see my kids once in a while if I lost custody. She later on ended our engagement "for my own good", and later recanted. She believes that her life would be miserable if she accompanied us back to the other state because she'd give up her job and everything she felt comfortable with here. She has no friends, some family, and grew up here.

As it turned out, I got a better lawyer and it seems that there is a way to fight this with a good chance of success regardless of whether I move or not.

This is the problem. Everything could be hunky dory here in "her" state now, legally... but I'm now with a fiancee who has shown me that she loves her own life and job here more than me and more than the kids, and would even risk my losing custody of my own children for her own desire to live here. Am I being judgmental by believing she is beyond selfish, and even if I'm wrong about that - do I really want to be with someone who won't make any sacrifices (namely, sacrifices I've even already made for her, and would again in a heartbeat) for the benefit of this family? Should I end this completely? And if I should stay with her, how do I get over this bitterness and feeling that myself and my children will always mean less than her job and where she lives? Doesn't this say something about bigger challenges to come in the future? I love this woman very much - If she was in my shoes, my only question would be, "when do we leave?" - but shouldn't I expect that kind of love and willingness to sacrifice in return?

I don't feel like she's ever made any real "big" sacrifices in this relationship, or been willing to. She seems to have the "you had your life" syndrome, where she feels as though I owe her because I already had my kids and my life, and now she deserves everything she wants. We do fight a lot but we also have some absolutely wonderful times too. My main concern is does she love me and the kids or will we always come second to her own desires? I'd think this has proven that she is too selfish for this kind of family. If I am wrong, PLEASE tell me and why.

I'm confused, and I'm hurt, and I'm not sure if I'm thinking clearly when I consider just getting the heck away from her for good over this.

DadOfFour's picture

She's not a stay at home mom and she's not raising them. They have a healthy relationship, but she hasn't really taken an active role in disciplining or instructing them... So by 'raising' them I don't know if you mean just having them in her life and going to do fun stuff with them, or if you mean really raising them... but either way, her attitude about it is more of a side note. I'm mostly concerned about my future if she's not even willing to move to save me from losing custody of my kids, which she knows would completely destroy me.

Oi Vey's picture

It sounds like you love her more than she loves you. Sad You are willing to do far more for her happiness than she is for yours. Good luck.

j-dog's picture

In my case, I'm the one who gave up my home, my job, my friends, in order to move to where my fiance lived, because of his daughter (he's non-custodial.)
Honestly, I see dealing with his daughter (by that, I mean mostly dealing with HIS behavior, with regard to said daughter) to be the greater of the two sacrifices I've made! And that's just being around her one weeknight/week, and EOWe.
Perhaps this is especially true because I have no children of my own. Still, having to live, even on a part-time basis, with the child(ren) created by my spouse with another, previous spouse, is perhaps the most difficult thing I've ever had to do.
For your fiancee, having to do so full time? With NEVER a break? She's right, it's certainly a sacrifice equal to what you gave up in being the one to move.
Not saying she's right. Or you're right. Just saying, living with some other woman's kids, SUCKS. And it doesn't magically not suck if you like the kids. It's still, right there, in your face, every day, dealing with your spouse's past.
I certainly know DH treats me differently when SD is with us. So, even though I don't actually dislike SD, I HATE when she's around, because of my DH's behavior when she's present.
Are you, perhaps unconsciously, putting your fiancee down, in the presence of the children, in order to "reassure" your own kids?

reluctantgma's picture

Well Dad, she's made her feelings pretty clear. Let her go , but I don't think being bitter is an appropriate response to her honesty. It is a huge responsibility to live with, much less care for, a pack of someone else's kids. She did you a favor to admit that she wasn't prepared to do that.

I'm sure it does hurt to have given up so much and put your custody status at jeopardy to be with this woman. Most I can do is pray that while her window closes, a rich new door somehow opens in your life. Take care of yourself and your beloved babies. (huggs)

DadOfFour's picture

I'm not sure I follow. I don't put her down at all. We don't really have any step-parenting issues, this is more of a relationship issue. Should I expect the woman I marry to be willing to sacrifice a job and comfort in her home state for me, after I've already done so for her, given extreme circumstances such as losing one's kids?

TheBrightSide's picture

Your implication is that your sacrifice is greater because you have children and she doesn't.

Just because she doesn't have children, doesn't make her sacrifice any less.

I'm sorry, Dadoffour, but I agree with her....it's a huge sacrifice on her part to join man that comes complete with 4 kids.

This woman is intelligent enough, and brave enough to say to you.."look, my life is here..." at the risk of losing you.

It sounds like you were not at "risk of losing your kids" after all.

I'm a step mom of only 1 step daughter. I have no children of my own. Absolutely, it is a sacrifice for me. She's not my child, she's not my responsibility.

Your argument that she's not "raising" them is invalid. Look at it this way. Imagine having 4 kids that are not your own, living in your house 24/7. And NOT having the ability to "raise" them as if they are your own. NOT having the freedom to discipline them. NOT having the freedom to be annoyed by them (because steparents aren't allowed to show irritation or annoyance without).

I love my husband, but if he came with 4 full time kids...i would have run the other way.

Aeron's picture

It sounds like you already know what you ought to do, it's just that it's hard and you don't want to admit it. It is a sacrifice to give up life as you know it to have kids - all parents do this and know that going into it. So for her to get insta-family with four kids, I'm sure it is a sacrifice to her. She has to sacrifice having you all to herself, and various other things she may find to be important (quiet, privacy, I don't really know, everyone's different).

However, the pertinent point here seems to be that there is something extremely important to you - custody of your kids - which Should be very important to you and she's been totally non-supportive about it. I don't have this kind of situation and I can't honestly say that I love my SD. However, if there was something that I could do to keep him from being "destroyed", I'd do it in a heartbeat. Particularly if the alternative was the kid going to a situation where she would be mistreated.

It sounds like your needs are not being met and sometimes love is not enough. Being a step is hard and it is a sacrifice. But it sounds like you are already resenting the finances - have you two talked about who's going to be responsible for what? Are you going to be solely responsible for all the costs associated with your kids as well as the housing, car etc for all of you?

If you're bitter now and you aren't seeing her side (and it sounds kind of like you think she doesn't really have side) you're not going to get over it and it's going to get worse. How are you going to feel if you have a child with her and she favors her own child?

You two obviously need to have some serious talks before getting any more involved.

DadOfFour's picture

reluctantgma quite the contrary, she wants me to stay here (and with her). The only question is SHOULD i stay with a woman who is unwilling to make those kinds of sacrifices for her family? Is step-parenting really that shallow or should I expect that someone who purports to "love" me and my kids would act a little more like "family" would.

reluctantgma's picture

Well, DOF, I know that if I had it all to do again, I would not have jumped head first into being an "insta-family" with my former and his 14yo son (my two 'baby girls' are well grown and on their own). It's a lot to ask and took a lot out of me. They seemed to reap the benefits while what was me and my life slowly circled down the toilet. Perhaps we would have enjoyed a better relationship had we not gone too far too fast. Perhaps not. (shrug)

I don't think it would hurt either of you to let go of the 'willingness to make sacrifices' issue for awhile. You've got plenty on your plate dealing with the custody issue, moved, purchased a new home(?), and apparently, you and gf are together for the time being.

Honestly, feeling like you've sacrificed more than she's willing to sacrifice does not strike me as her problem or something for her to fix. Take a few steps backwards and see if you can clean up any missed steps?

I'm gonna bow out now. Am very absorbed in my own mistakes today. Sorry. Sad

liks's picture

I moved to be with my DH and his skids....brought mine with me but its been nothing but horrible accusations from the BM since, and as for my DH's kids....they are just revolting...

If I had my time again...I wouldnt have done it....

well not until something was more settled....as in he made sure them skids knew what side their bread was buttered, and the BM stopped thinking my DH's wallet was hers still....

so my advice would be stop....dont go ahead with what you are considering....stay a single dad and love your kids - do what ever it is you can for them and then when its time to put love first, kids second perhaps if you are both still single...give it another go....

but right now is not the right time....

sorry

youll be so miserable, and so will she if you go ahead right now...

DadOfFour's picture

McKenzie K, that's what I don't get. She claims she does care, and in fact cried a world of tears when we were going to break up. But at the same time, she doesn't care enough to come with me. What if this were some other issue? What if we had to live in some other state for a year or two to get one of my children medical treatment at a certain hospital? The dream job I gave up paid twice as much as her job, I made a lot of irrational decisions to be with her - but never once put the children at risk. I'm shocked and saddened that someone who claims to love me so much would rather live life without me then live it in another (nice) state.

ExtremeTJ's picture

Thats a tough one. I see both sides completely. It is a huge sacrifice to take in 4 children. Being that there old does make it a bit less pull the hair out, but still. And full time at that. And being that I'm guessing she hasn't been around them full time until you moved there. There is an adjustment period to take into consideration as well. Its a huge thing to adjust to, especially not having children of her own. Its a life altering change. So I do see it as being a hard thing for her. Cause she maybe feeling that yes you guys move there and have each other. But if she moves there she will have no one. I imagine uprooting your family and moving to another state was not an easy dessission and I'm sure you took everything in to consideration. Its always hard to take someone else children in and try to be there for them, parenting, as a friend, its an awkward phase/adjustment. Especially when theres no break from kids. It takes a special person to open up to try and be part of there life and allow them to be apart of yours.

But on the other hand I feel your let down to think she isn't willing to do the same and move for the sake of you and your kids. And to feel that she doesn't care for you as much as you do. I completely understand. But too you guys probably haven't lived together long and its still somewhat new and she maybe scared, loss of freedom, no more walking around the house nude. HAHA but you know what I mean.

I could never move cause of my son, and my BF would never move cause of daughter, but thank gosh we all live 20 min from each other. But I do know it's hard trying to bond with a little girl who's 2 and you can see in her eyes that she's like hey he's my dad get the heck away. And I'll admit I get jealous, which I know is silly. We have our kids opposite weekends (hopefully to be the same when the BM gets her head out of her ass) so the week I don't have my son we get 5 nights kid free every 2 weeks and we both savour every moment. kids are alot of work, whether you are the one parenting or standing on the sidelines.

So I think and I hope for your sake that things work out for you. I would maybe give her a bit more time. Maybe once everyone adjust and gets settled that she'll realize how kids can litterly light up your life. This is coming from someone who till the day I found out I was prego was NEVER having kids. I wouldn't change things for anything.

*also not sure if you're already do this or not, but set aside one night a week for date night, alone time no children.

dragonfly5's picture

I don't see it. She doesn't love him enough because she isn't willing to accept his kids?
Give me a break.

I am going to have to give her the benefit of the doubt just because I see wonderful women and men on this site who sacrifice daily for their skids and Dh's, and are taken advantage of. And live with disney dad/mom syndrome.

You are expecting her to accept your 4 kids. I've got news for you, you probably think your kids are all of that and a bag of chips. You probably think they are good, and easy to get along with. You only think that because they are YOUR kids.

This is a tough pill to swallow, for both of you. You because you sacrificed to be with her and her because this was probably not what she thought she was getting.

I know it is hard for you to see but maybe it really is the best thing for all of you. Being a step parent isn't easy...Being a step mom to 4 instantly is a nightmare.

And for you, not seeing how all this was going to affect the woman you love is hard for you. I can understand why you are angry when you have moved to be with her and may be giving up custody of your children.

stepfamilyfriend's picture

"I don't see it. She doesn't love him enough because she isn't willing to accept his kids?
Give me a break."

Not enough is right. It takes a lot extra to take on something like this and very few have it. That does not make them bad. Just not enough.

dragonfly5's picture

It takes time. She isn't going to instantly love his kids. It's not that she doesn't love him and them enough.

It just isn't instant. Love take time, growth, depth. And these are not her children they are his.

DadOfFour's picture

Thanks ExtremeTJ. I have tried to provide the life she wants here, and SHE is happy, so long as she's here. We bought the house she wanted, with an attached office so she can work on the computer without getting all dressed, a nice big jacuzzi tub, good sitter to have plenty of dates, the kids have an entire floor to themselves for their bedrooms away from us, and in fact she gets a ton of time to herself - so much the kids are wondering why they haven't gotten to see her much at all lately. She claims she could be very happy here in our life... as long as we don't move. And I could learn to be just as happy here if I had a completely watertight, mutually loving relationship with her. But this one event of her not being willing to give her job and her state up for something that is so absolutely critical and important, has thrown all of that into question for me. I'm so bitter and angry that she would put herself before my kids (and me!) that I wonder how else she might betray me later on if we got married. I believe I do love her more than she loves me, and I don't know if I could ever be happy in a relationship where that holds true. So am I wrong that this was a ridiculously selfish thing to do, and a sign of more selfishness to come? Or does she deserve the benefit of the doubt, as someone who's otherwise ridiculously happy?

TheBrightSide's picture

Sounds like everything is working out, you have a nice home,she's happy, the kids are happy.

The only issue here is your resentment.

Your resentment that she wouldn't give up everything FOR YOU when you did FOR HER.

Let it go. Realize that she gave up a lot too. She sacrificed too. MY GOD MAN...4 KIDS!!!

Good luck finding another woman to take that on.

DadOfFour's picture

dragonfly5, I'm not sure I understand your post. This has nothing to do with her accepting the kids.

dragonfly5's picture

"she claims to love them... I do everything I can to make her happy too."
"This is the point where I started wondering if something was wrong; why is it a sacrifice if you claim to love the kids?"

These are the statements I am refering too.

Just because you love someone or their kids doesn't mean that you still don't sacrifice.
Truthfully it means you will sacrifice more.

My statement is, these are your kids, they are easy for you to love. I am a bio mom and have the fskids too. There is a difference. Love takes time to build to grow. I liked the fskids instantly but I didn't love them instantly. Now I love them, we are growning.
Someday I hope to have the depth of love for them like my own daughter.

I feel bad for you all, especially your kids. I can't imagine what you are going through.

I think she has shown you she just isn't ready for a relationship with you and them.

My SO loves his kids. If he had to choose as you do, he would choose them, and he should. Like you his kids are younger.

stepfamilyfriend's picture

I can see why you would be hurt and disappointed. I would try and look at it this way; she let you know clearly what she can and can't do. Now it's up to you to decide if you can live with her limits, if you want to call them that, or not. She may change, for the better or for the worse! but she told you pretty clearly where she is at. She has a right to do that and you have the right to try and make this work, or not.

Jsmom's picture

This is her problem. Does no sound like she will ever accept your life with your kids. We all have baggage, she just doesn't want to carry yours. I knew he had kids when I married him. I accepted that. Do I want to raise his kids, not particularly. But, I will help him to raise them, because I love him. Doesn't sound like she loves you enough to make any compromises.

TheBrightSide's picture

I call bullshit Echo...

"she sacrificed NOTHING to be with you"....

This woman is taking on 4 stepkids full time...and that's nothing???

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

I have no bio-kids and I married a man with two. They are nice kids for the most part (their mom is a nightmare), but it is a HUGE HUGE adjustment living with somebody else's kids. It's an adjustment getting married and living with another adult. Add kids to the mix...and mine are only here part time.

I tell my DH that he will never understand how a step-parent feels because he isn't one. Can I say I love his kids? I care about them greatly, but I don't feel that "bond". I feel more of a bond with my best friend's kids whom I have known all their lives.

I really feel for both of you. I can see each side of this. You have to take responsibility for the decisions you made. You did not have to move. Am I correct in assuming you knew she would not move before you moved? It's not a total sacrifice on your part...you moved to be with a woman you love...you are getting something out of it. You didn't move just for her sake.

I don't really know what to make of her being unwilling to move. I can understand why you were hurt when you were in danger of losing your kids. I wonder if there is fear on her part (could be of a lot of things). Again, I have to go back to...you knew she would not move and you chose to move to be with her.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to see a counselor and help you sort it all out. Find out why she's so adamant about not moving. Figure out if being bitter is reasonable.

Think of it this way...if you were to move back to your original state with her, she would be making ALL the sacrifice. Losing her job, hometown, family...and living with 4 kids who aren't hers. That's a tall order for anybody.

Sorry I'm not much help. I'm sort of just thinking out loud here. Hopefully I can give you a little perspective about what it's like to be a stepmom with no bio-kids. Please feel free to ask if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer.

I don't think you should throw in the towel just yet. Give it a little more time and get some answers first. Armed with more info, you'll know what to do. I try to live by this...when in doubt, wait. Answers eventually come. She may not be the one for you in the end, but at least you'll have tried. Good luck!

DadOfFour's picture

Hi ripley,

Thanks for the great note. I'm in your shoes it seems. I sacrificed everything for her to come and be here, but there was no reason to other than to support her dreams. It certainly was a tall order relocating everyone. And when it got tough - to the point of needing her to make a sacrifice, she wouldn't... not couldn't, but wouldn't. To answer your questions, we discussed it for a few days, but as soon as the lawyers assured me there was no other way (at the time), she quite plainly told me she couldn't move, and accused me of leaving "our home" and "everything we've built" (we've only lived here about 3 months, there's not much built here, except her life). Then a day or two after that, it became even more urgent, where the lawyer basically informed me I _would_ lose the kids if I didn't move... that's when she texted me and broke up with me "for my own good", and later recanted that night. I made what may have been a brain dead move to fight it here and see where we would end up, and could still move back to my old state, but the prognosis of the GOOD attorney I'm paying out the nose for now assures me my chances are "good", although not great, and not guaranteed as they would be back in my old state. Nevertheless, I told her I'd stay here and fight for "us" and "our family". Her kindness lasted about 3 days or so, then her attitude of "i'd do anything for you if you stayed" turned back into the same old relationship we'd had before, with all of its common problems which were gnawing at us. In other words, not only is she not willing to do anything for me, but I still get nagged about chores, have to listen to occasional rude or provoking remarks, and other things that were wrong in our relationship before. NOTHING seems to have changed since then. It's been about a week. I _do_ feel like you say, that she's here for better, but not necessarily worse... at least not all of it. On the other hand, she has suffered through rejection by family and friends to stay with me, so I know she is willing to endure some hardship. But my primary concern is this: if she's not willing to make a hard sacrifice that would actually cost her something considerable for the safety and custody of my kids (or for me), can I trust her at all to ever act selflessly?

2. She's a very strong willed and independent woman and lives a very independent life from me and the kids... she finds some time for us all, but she's still adjusting to SM life. She hasn't yet taken the role of disciplinarian, instilling values, etc., but is more of in a friend role. I have all the responsibility. I'm sure she's still adjusting but she's beyond the stressed out meltdowns. She's at the level of acceptance I think and enjoys hanging out with the kids sometimes. But she's still freaked out by a pair of underwear on the washer or a messy bathroom.

I don't think she'd move in 2 years... or 20 years. No matter what the cost. She seemed to be OK with my possibly losing the kids, trying to convince me I'd get to see them in the summer and still have some kind of a relationship with them. Their mother lives about 14 a hour drive away. So she seems to be OK and thinks that us starting a family would somehow make things better for me.

What I'm trying to do is figure out here if her display is one particular hangup (e.g. just won't move), or if this reflects a very dismal future of a one-sided relationship that will become horribly complicated and more miserable if we had our own child.

Soon-to-be-Step-Mommy's picture

Yes I believe it is a sacrifice. Even if it was only one child. In your case, it's four! I sacrificed when I got involved with my husband. He has one daughter. It is a life changing thing to go from no kids to one or more kids. Us as women choose to be with these men with children. Therefore we sacrifice the care free lives we COULD have if we stayed single or got with a man with no children.

Soon-to-be-Step-Mommy's picture

BUT I do believe your fiance is being selfish in that she would tell you to risk losing your kids. I think you should find someone else. Someone who loves your children or maybe even a woman with children of her own. It does not sound like this woman loves you unconditionally at all.

dragonfly5's picture

It is selfish and she will loose him in the end. Even if he stays with her, he will resent her and the kids will still come and visit.
They are still his kids.

beyond pissed-off's picture

Forgive me but she would be crazy to move back to your home state with you. I am sure that she loves you but relationships go wrong and step-relationships go wrong in more ways than can be counted. Regardless of where YOU are living, you have the love of your children and the ability to look forward to a future with them.

If the relationship does not work, what does she have? If she stays where she is, she has a support network and can recover. If she goes to your home state, she is alone and has nothing.

The romantic view that she should be willing to sacrifice everything for you and your children would only work for a girl under 25 or a very immature woman. A grown woman needs to consider all issues and not simply jump into an abyss under the guise of love and romance. If any of your children are daughters, this woman seems like someone who can teach them how to grow into independant young women who will not get burned like so many do.

DadOfFour's picture

beyond pissed-off: this isn't some dating relationship. we're engaged. we were planning to be married. that's not a question of "will it work out". you'd think a woman of this level of commitment would be willing to make some sacrifice.

beyond pissed-off's picture

She also needs to have some level of realism. Don't fool yourself that this is a a woman who will simply jump when you ask her to. Is that really what you want? Some sort of Stepford Wife? Any woman worth her salt will be concerned about what will happen if it doesn't work out when her man already has so many previously existing commitments.

ExtremeTJ's picture

Just thought of a couple more things. Maybe its not a case of you loving her more and her not enough. Some people are just not built that way to love someone that entirelly especially if they have been independant there life. Maybe she's having a hard time too of letting that total and compltely independence let go. Maybe she feels she shows how much she cares in a different way. Maybe too in her mind that being accepting of your children is showing you that Yes she does love you so much that she's willing to do this, and maybe that's somethingg she vowed to herself she would never do. One never knows the true type of compermise someone is making. Maybe she told herself before she met you that she would never ever get invloved with a man with children. Theres so many varieables that could make ones head spin.
But as far as comparing how much you love her to her loving you, it might not be that simple. Everyones different. On saturday night after maybe a couple too many beers I'm a blabber mouth and yes its been a stressful month for us. not between us but with my BF life. I've supported him through prolly the toughest time of his life, not financially but emotionally. And anyways this last months left me feeling pretty ensecure with our realationship with, courts, BM, and a tonne of other things. So anyways after my couple beers I start being Chatty Kathy. And got into the whole feeling like he doesn't care about me as much as I care for him. Him knowing me just didn't say much other then you know I care about you. So in the morning he gets up I'm slowly waking up, and in he comes with a coffee for me and lays back down and just holds me. He didn't have to say a thing and I felt like the luckiest gal in the world.
Just meaning that maybe she shows her feelings in a way that you don't know or can see. And maybe she thinks she's being totally blunt.
Theres always ups and downs and fights and disagreements.
Also too, maybe cause you mentioned her job being her identity. Well maybe to her it is and its her sense of security, and she needs that. Especially being a fairly newer situation. I have a huge lifted Jeep. I've had it for 7 years, its lifted its my baby, but not babied lol. It's my identity and if someone said I had to sell that would be a hard pill to swallow. And if for the right reason I would but would need to be 100% sure. Maybe not the same but a different perspective.
Anyone willing to take in anyones kids is special. Maybe they have a hard time going that extra marathon to prove that there willing to sacrafice everything.
Too maybe she was having a bad week/month/day and hadn't fully thought things through. Maybe too she's embarrassed to have said that, and is stubborn to go back, and doesn't know how to fix it.
I really feel for ya cause in a way kinda know how you feel. the not being loved as much as you feel your putting out. But I KNOW he cares about me as much as can at this time. And that's really all I want. I don't want to push him to care more then what he does cause you can't rush feelings. And too she hasn't had time to grow attatched to kids. My previous BF had 3 young boys and add my son into the mix, we had a hockey line. When we broke up my heart was broken I was so attatched to those boys. And them to me. That was the worst. But luckely I became friends with his ex and I get to still see them.
good luck would love to hear what happens. All the best

Doubletakex3's picture

If you are happy with the way things are now...playing the "what if" game is useless. Who knows what the future will bring. She's showing you what she's willing to contribute to the relationship. If you can live with that, then do. If not, you have your answer.

What seems apparent is that you have a different set of values: you value family and she values her independence, the life she has created (before you) and you (and other stuff of course).

Your statement: "The only question is SHOULD i stay with a woman who is unwilling to make those kinds of sacrifices for her family?" concerns me. You infer that YOUR family is HER family. She didn't create your four kids and the combo of them with you. If she were not in the picture, YOUR family would still be a family. Expecting her to have loyalty and allegiance to the insta-family is unreasonable, IMHO. Perhaps over time she will grow to become a part of the family and feel a sense of loyalty and willingness to sacrifice for the good of the family (or not) but expecting that out of the gate is unreasonable, IMHO.

My SO has made similar statements to me and we've had arguments over it. He expects that because he opened up his family to me that I should instantly feel deep loyalty and be willing to sacrifice for the good of the family. Of course, relationships require compromises and sacrifices but to expect that the person who didn't create the family be ready and willing to make equal sacrifices doesn't work for me. I've told my SO, "Look, I fell in love with you and partially because of the man you are and the commitment to your children which I greatly respect...but I didn't fall in love with them and I'm not here because of them. I'm here for you."

I was the one who moved to be with my SO and gave up my life across the country so I made a huge sacrifice (as you well know). I don't have any biokids. I deeply love my SO but I completely underestimated the daily sacrifices required to live in a house with three kids. My SO doesn't see any of it as sacrifices. His life has always revolved around his kids and that's normal to him. It's not to me. At all. Between school activities, sports, shopping, dinner prep, cleaning, etc. we have no life. He doesn't see that as an issue because he hasn't had a life in 16 years. I have and I miss it. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have moved. But, I love my SO and I can't afford to lose my butt on selling a house I just bought. I moved here to have a life with a man that I love. What I got was a life with a man I love while being constantly accompanied by three minor chaperones. He now accepts that I would not make equal sacrifices for his children. And, in a strange way, his acceptance has made me more willing to sacrifice for the family.

He is confident in his ability to raise his children (he was a single father for 9 years) and decided that he can live with me as his back-up, confidant, lover and best friend vs co-parent. He had a fantasy of 'slotting in' a new mom & wife and was hurt when I didn't enthusiastically embrace that role (and all that comes with it). He loves me despite my being 'domestically challenged' as we joke about it.

We are working on ways to bridge the gap between our perspectives and values but it's a negotiation. A type of negotiation that is probably only required when one person has kids and the other doesn't. The planets of With Kids and Without Kids are just that: separate planets. Moving between planets takes a significant amout of acclimation.

I doubt that my rambling was helpful but I do wish you luck and will send good juju your way.

P.S. Gotta run so I can pick up one SS from practice and run to the other SS's football game. Smile

DadOfFour's picture

Pardon me if I sound a bit frank, but it seems to me that a lot of people commenting here have just settled for somebody or something they didn't want, and still have regrets about it. Why didn't you wait for the right one to come along if you have so many regrets?

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

Regrets are hindsight. Personally, I don't have regrets. I would do it all again, even if it is difficult. But many have it much worse than me. They didn't go into their relationships with regrets. Sometimes you don't understand what it's going to be like until you're already neck deep. Some of these women/men have been in the skids lives since they were babies...then they grow up and become monsters. Some BMs appear out of the woodwork after several years. Things change, lives evolve. I can guarantee your situation will be totally different two years from now.

Doubletakex3's picture

Calgon - you're right on the money with:
"Sometimes you don't understand what it's going to be like until you're already neck deep...Some BMs appear out of the woodwork after several years. Things change, lives evolve. I can guarantee your situation will be totally different two years from now."

That pretty much sums it up. I didn't realize what all was involved in the chaos & commitment of raising kids on a daily basis. I had had skids before but it was EOW. We were adjusting and did pretty well for the first year. And then BM seem to fall off the deep end: filed for custody, filed to reduce her CS, stopped paying CS, started skipping out on vistation, etc. We've literally been in court every other month for the past 18 mths. Major stress & money. And the oldest son became 'of age to decide' regarding vistation and refuses to go to his mother. So what started out as not too bad has evolved into a 24/7 drama filled mess. And, now the kids trust me and I'm attached to them and we got a new house and I'm in deep. And, I love them.

Things change, for better and worse some times.

lalaland's picture

Hi,

I am really sorry that you are going through this, and thou i know i'm 10 days late, i feel i might have some good input to give you, because i have been there, not where you are, but where your gf is and, you might be feeling that you sacrifice more because you moved states, jobs, etc..

The truth is, your kids (family) are your life, and your sacrifice of moving doesnt really compare with her giving up her whole life to bond with an already made family.

I want you to understand that i'm not sided with her, but i do know many of the feelings she might be going through; however, people here have told you so many things and you seem to stay stuck on your idea, but i will tell you what caught my attention.

Before you moved in together, you never know how life with kids that are not yours can be, 24/7, no matter how adorable they are. She may love them, but still she loves herself and her own life dont we all? and to step in an already made family of 4 kids is way bigger sacrifice than moving to all states.

Maybe she realized how hard it was after experiencing it. You say she cried 1,000 tears when you were going to break up...OF COURSE, she is human, she loves you and probably loves your kids too but thats a VERY rough spot to be in!

You also say she has so much room for herself that your kids even wonder why they dont see her...doesnt that ring a bell to you?
Want to know something? honestly? i did the exact same thing when i couldnt handle the situation: maybe she cares but its very hard for her?

a woman with no kids is less prepared to the shock of living with kids, constant noise, fighting, loud, playing, chaos, interrruptions, little time for grown ups or being alone with your partner; now thats a LOT of mixed feelings i must say

Maybe she sounded selfish when she made it sound as she would rather you lose custody, i dont think she meant it, maybe was a little selfish hope that she will have you, but, i am sure she didnt really want to see you destroyed.

Just realise that the sacrifice you are asking her to do is not that of a new job, a new house or town, you are asking her to forget about her life to go and live yours with 4 kids...its INMENSE!

I am sorry it hurts your feelings and i will tell you why i say all this!

I was in a long distance relationship with someone i still love dearly; my soulmate if not for many obstacles. I knew this person had 2 small kids, full custody. In our alone times we bonded, fell in love, i promissed to move (to a different country) since nothing really ties me here. I used to think, what can be so hard with 2 small kids?

the day came when this person came to visit with the kids (3 and 5 y/o), it was all soo difficult, stressful, so much sacrifice, my heart broke in pieces..i had a fight within..love or my life, love or my life, i gave it time, they came to visit again, and again, and guess what...i had to chose a broken heart, because it takes more than love to stand a hard situation day in and day out 24/7 and give up on all future possibilities and dreams, because kids come first and always will.

Now imagine, i was always gonna be 3rd in line, your gf will be 5th, thats sort of how it feels, its just too much to handle, and im sorry, you cant see that because you are the father and to you its not a sacrifice, but for her it is, way bigger than what you have done.

You tried to make it work, thats what you had to do, now it didnt work, sorry cut your losses, she doesnt move there because she KNOWS, it will be hell for her and i'm sorry, i dont blame her.

I loved very very much, more than i have ever loved, but to move to a place where you have no way out but that constant hazzle??? crazy!

See it this way, you can always move towns, get new jobs, cars, but you cant ever get your life back. When i was in her shoes i used to worry, ok i love this person soo much, but im leaving my life behind, if i go through this door, which is sooooo hard, i might miss on my life, and i will never be this person's life because this person already has a life (the kids)!

hope i helped

sorry for what you are experiencing!

peace